Global Small-caliber Ammunition Market: Overview
According to a new research report pertaining to the small-caliber ammunition market, published by Transparency Market Research the global small-caliber ammunition market is expected to reach a value of ~7.5 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 4.5% from 2019 to 2027. According to the report, the global small-caliber ammunition market would continue to be influenced by a range of macroeconomic and market-specific factors during the forecast period.
Increasing Defense Modernization Programs Driving Global Small-caliber Ammunition Market
- Various countries across the world have implemented defense modernization programs aimed at the upgrade and replacement of their existing military machinery, systems, and equipment. The key purpose of these programs is to improve the versatility, agility, and capability of the armed forces. Modernization helps a country in strengthening its military forces by equipping them with advanced arms and improving the country’s defense system for combating emergency situations such as a terrorist attack or war. For instance, in April 2018, the U.S. Army placed an order for 5.56-mm, 7.62-mm, and 12.7-mm caliber rounds with Orbital ATK. The order was valued at more than US$ 115 Mn.
- Over the last few years, small-caliber ammunition has been adopted in a wide variety of military, defense, and law enforcement applications across the world. Thus, defense modernization programs are likely to boost the demand for small-caliber ammunition. This, in turn, is expected to fuel the global small-caliber ammunition market during the forecast period.
Military to Account for a Leading Share of Global Small-caliber Ammunition Market
- The report offers detailed segmentation of the global small-caliber ammunition market: in terms of type (full metal jacket ammunition, tracer ammunition, incendiary ammunition, armor piercing ammunition, and others), caliber (below 7 mm, 7–9 mm, 9–12 mm, and 12–14 mm), and end-use industry (commercial, military, and law enforcement). The global market has also been segmented based on region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa).
- Among the calibers, the 7–9 mm segment accounted for a leading share of the global small-caliber ammunition market in 2018. The segment is anticipated to maintain its dominance during the forecast period as well.
- Military is a highly attractive segment of the global small-caliber ammunition market. It is the largest segment in terms of market size. It is anticipated to expand at the most rapid rate during the forecast period. Additionally, rise in the procurement of small-caliber ammunition by armed forces, border security forces, and local enforcement agencies to combat terrorism, territorial conflicts, and geopolitical tensions is anticipated to drive the military segment in the small-caliber ammunition market in the next few years.
Asia Pacific a Highly Lucrative Market for Small-caliber Ammunition
- North America is expected to hold the maximum share of the global small-caliber ammunition market during the forecast period, owing to the early adoption of small-caliber ammunition in the region. Asia Pacific and Europe hold a considerable market share each. On the other hand, these regions are projected to provide highly lucrative opportunities to the small-caliber ammunition market during the forecast period.
- China dominated the small-caliber ammunition market in Asia Pacific in 2018. The market in the country is expected to expand at a prominent CAGR from 2019 to 2027. The overall outlook for the small-caliber ammunition market in Asia Pacific appears positive.
- Different government organizations across Asia Pacific are increasing their military spending in order to improve the security of their respective countries. This, in turn, is expected to boost the small-caliber ammunition market in the region in the next few years.
- Current political tensions between different countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, India, South Korea, North Korea, and Pakistan, and shortage of small-caliber ammunition, are some of the major drivers likely to propel the small-caliber ammunition market during the forecast period.
High Investments & Development of New Products by Key Players to Boost Market
The report provides the profiles of leading players operating in the global small-caliber ammunition market. These are Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos, Fiocchi Munizioni, General Dynamics Corporation, Hornady Manufacturing Company, Inc., Nammo AS, Nexter Systems, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Rheinmetall AG, Prvi Partizan A.D., RUAG Group, and BAE Systems.
- In June 2018, BAE Systems announced the spending of US$ 13.3 Mn to establish a new production line for 12.7-mm ammunition at the U.K.-based defense contractor's Radway Green facility in Crewe, the U.K. This strategic move may lead to further technological advancements in the global small-caliber ammunition market, giving the company an edge over its competitors in terms of product innovation and unique product line.
- In April 2019, Northrop Grumman Corporation announced that one of its subsidiaries called Alliant Techsystems Operations LLC had received orders for small-caliber ammunition worth US$ 194.0 Mn from the U.S. Army. As per this strategic contract, the company would be delivering 5.56-mm, 7.62-mm, and Cal.-50 cartridges to the U.S. Army.
Global Small-caliber Ammunition Market: Segmentation
The global small-caliber ammunition market has been segmented as follows:
Small-caliber Ammunition Market by Type
- Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) Ammunition
- Tracer Ammunition
- Incendiary Ammunition
- Armor Piercing Ammunition
Small-caliber Ammunition Market by Caliber
- Below 7 mm
- 7–9 mm
- 9–12 mm
- 12–14 mm
Small-caliber Ammunition Market by End-use Industry
- Law Enforcement
Small-caliber Ammunition Market by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
Transparency Market Research (TMR) is a market intelligence company, providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. TMR’s experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze information. Our business offerings represent the latest and the most reliable information indispensable for businesses to sustain a competitive edge.
Each TMR syndicated research report covers a different sector - such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, energy, food & beverages, semiconductors, med-devices, consumer goods and technology. These reports provide in-depth analysis and deep segmentation to possible micro levels. With wider scope and stratified research methodology, TMR’s syndicated reports thrive to provide clients to serve their overall research requirement.
Transparency Market Research
90 State Street, Suite 700
Albany, NY 12207
USA - Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453