Preservative boosters are the ingredients added to cosmetics mainly to improve the efficiency of the preservative actives. Preservative boosters are generally added to cosmetic formulations to limit the amount of traditional preservative use. Preservatives are usually added to the cosmetics to ensure higher cosmetic product quality along with prevention of microbiological contamination of a cosmetic product during storage. There are higher chances of contamination of the cosmetic products despite of addition of conventional cosmetic preservatives in particular with those preservatives with amino acids inclusions. Hence, there has been a need for preservative boosters to overall improve the cosmetic products.
Reasons for Covering this Title
Preservative boosters are gaining traction among the cosmetic ingredient companies as these products not only improve the efficiency of preservatives but also with additional benefits of preservative boosters as a stabilizer, surfactant and allows improved penetration of the preservative actives. Various factors need to be considered while selecting the preservative boosters such as moisturizing effect, deodorant active, high water solubility, unaffected by chemical constituents of other cosmetic ingredients, and has a higher synergistic effect. The preservative boosters should also have minimum skin irritation. The other factors such as country wise regulations, marketing requirements, environmental safety need to be considered while selecting preservative boosters. Ethylhexyglycerin has gained importance among preservative boosters as it performs various functions such as deodorizing agent, emollient, mild humectant while other preservative boosters like Hydroacetophenone has gained popularity as a preservative booster as it acts as an antioxidant and anti-irritant. The other properties of preservative boosters include the moisturizing effect, boost the foam and viscosity of for shampoos and shower gel product formulations.
Global Preservative Boosters: Market Segmentation
On the basis of Product Type, the global Preservative Boosters market has been segmented as–
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Glyceryl Caprylate
- Decylene Glycol
On the basis of End-Users, the global Preservative Boosters market has been segmented as–
- Hair Care Products
- Skin Care Products
- Wet Wipes
Global Preservative Boosters Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global preservative boosters market are Ashland, Clariant, Lonza, Chemspire Ingredients and others.
Innovations: Claraint company has patented their product preservative booster Velsan® SC. The patented active system is produced entirely from renewable raw materials and has been successfully certified as natural and organic cosmetic. Velsan® SC is known to reduce the use of preservatives such as alcohol and organic acids by to the extent of ~ 50%.
Opportunities for Market Participants
Rise in demand for various innovative, cost-effective cosmetic ingredients and growing need for higher cosmetic products safety has laid a strong potential for the growth of preservative boosters market globally. Manufacturers of preservative boosters are focusing on research and development to introduce products with a broad range of antimicrobial activity, higher compatibility with other ingredients, and offer higher shelf life to the cosmetic formulations added. The manufacturers also need to consider the solubility needs (water and/or organics) and pH of the formulation of the preservative boosters.
It has become critical for the formulators to identify the potential raw materials and use processes of improving the efficiency of traditional preservatives. There are have been a wide range of ingredients available in the market which can act as a preservative booster, among which chelating agents are known to improve the efficiency of most of the preservatives. The manufacturers of preservative boosters have initially faced the challenges with the performance of preservative boosters, as they did not show their potential efficiency in certain formulations and created emulsion stability issues.
Brief Approach to Research
A modelling-based approach is followed and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in the Preservative Boosters report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the product type and end-user of the Preservative Boosters segments included in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data related to Preservative Boosters are collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the critical data points covered in the Preservative Boosters report include:
- An overview of the Preservative Boosters market, including background and evolution.
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the Preservative Boosters market, and its potential.
- Preservative Boosters market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges, and trends.
- Detailed value chain analysis of the Preservative Boosters market.
- The cost structure of the Preservative Boosters and its segments covered in the study.
- In-depth pricing analysis of Preservative Boosters, by its product segments, regions and by major market participants.
- Analysis of supply and demand of Preservative Boosters, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports, and overall trade scenario.
- Analysis of the Preservative Boosters market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants.
- Competitive landscape of the Preservative Boosters market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.