- Power-to-gas, also known as P2G, is a technology that converts electrical power to gas fuel primarily through the electrolysis process
- Power-to-gas systems may be deployed as alternatives to wind parks or solar-electric generation systems. The excess power or off-peak power generated by wind generators or solar arrays is then used at a later time for load balancing in the energy grid.
- P2G involves low- or high-temperature electrolysis of water to produce hydrogen, either as a final product injected into the gas grid, or directly fueling applications (e.g., industrial, mobility, and power or water production).
- The produced hydrogen can also be used as an intermediate product, which is then converted into either synthetic natural gas (SNG) or syngas via methanation with carbon dioxide. Sources of carbon dioxide are fossil fuels or industrial effluents.
- Various fuels can be generated through the power-to-gas technology. Methane is the primary fuel generated through the power-to-gas technology.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Drivers of Power-to-gas Market
- Power-to-gas is mainly integrated in the energy value chain of industrial or small-scale power facilities or other distributed installations
- Global demand for energy has led to the exploration of new sources of energy. The power-to-gas technology is a corresponding source for fuel generation. It also helps in reducing environmental emission of gases. This factor is expected to drive the global power-to-gas market.
- Almost half a million villages and towns across the globe are without reliable and affordable electricity. Power-to-gas can be deployed into a specific regional or nation-wide energy system with the additional objective to stabilize the grid in order to mitigate the effects of excess electricity caused by a substantial share of fluctuating sources (generally, renewables) and improve the security of energy supplies. Such benefits are expected to drive consumer preference for this technology, thereby driving the power-to-gas market.
- Global annual consumption of renewables is expected to increase by 2.6% from 2012 to 2040, according to an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report. Thus, renewables are becoming the fastest-growing energy sources for electricity generation. Depleting fossil fuels, climate change, and energy security issues are prompting transformations in energy strategies worldwide. Thus, adoption of new resources of energy is the major factor boosting the global power-to-gas market.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape , ask for a customized report
- In February 2019, the board members of Open Grid Europe (OGE) announced that the OGE together with Amprion plans to build a 100MW power-to-gas plant capable of converting renewable energy output into hydrogen. The project would be built at an intersection of the operators’ networks in Lower Saxony, Northwest Germany. It is expected to be operational by 2023.
- Gas grid operators in the European Union plan to build up to 17 renewable power-to-gas projects by 2025 as part of efforts to cut CO2 and keep their grids in use as the EU moves away from natural gas
- In March 2017, Hydrogenics entered into an agreement with Wind to Gas Südermarsch in Germany to deliver a 2.4 MW PEM power-to-gas system for hydrogen production. This 2.4 MW facility is estimated to significantly help reduce emissions using renewable hydrogen.
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Power-to-gas Market
- Based on region, the global power-to-gas market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold major share of the global power-to-gas market during the forecast period. Power-to-gas technology is expected to play a significant role in stabilizing the region’s energy supply and offsetting fluctuating power generation from sources of renewable energy. Demand for power-to-gas technology has been rising significantly in Germany.
- The European Union (EU) has already taken lead in renewable deployment, with a target of 20% renewables in its overall energy consumption by 2020. Furthermore, the EU countries aim to increase the target to 27% by 2030. Based on the EU Reference Scenario 2016, the share of net renewable electricity generation is projected to rise to 37%, 43%, and 53% by 2020, 2030, and 2050, respectively.
- North America is also an important region of the global power-to-gas market. Demand for power-to-gas in the region is driven primarily by the rise in demand for hydrogen for commercial applications such as fuel cell transportation and stabilization of the power generation capacity.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be the key potential region of the global power-to-gas market during the forecast period. Increase in number of small and mid-scale industries in the region as well as urbanization, especially in developing countries such as China and India, are projected to be key drivers of the market in the region.
Major players operating in the global power-to-gas market include:
- ITM Power
- McPhy Energy S.A.
- ThyssenKrupp AG
- Electrochaea GmbH
- TKI Gas
- AEG Power Solutions
- Alliander N.V.
- DNV GL
- E.ON SE
Global Power-to-gas Market: Research Scope
Global Power-to-gas Market, by Technology
- Electrolysis (Hydrogen Gas)
- Methanation (Methane Gas)
Global Power-to-gas Market, by Application
- Industrial Use
- DG or Central Power Plant
- Gas Filling Stations
- Home Heating
Global Power-to-gas Market, by Type
- Wind Power-to-Gas
- Solar Power-to-Gas
- Biomass Power-to-Gas
- Other Industrial Processes
Global Power-to-gas Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.