Potassium Fertilizers Market: Introduction
- Potassium fertilizers are natural substances that occur when wood is burned. They can also be found in mines and the ocean.
- Potassium fertilizers help strengthen plants’ abilities to resist disease. They play an important role in increasing crop yield and overall quality. Potassium also protects the plant when the weather is cold or dry, strengthening its root system and preventing wilt.
- Potassium chloride or Muriate of Potash (MOP) contains 60% of potash, measured in K2O. Brazil is one of the largest consumers of potash fertilizers, primarily due to its significant production of soybean.
- Commonly available potassium fertilizer formulations in the market are Muriate of Potash (MOP) and Sulfate of Potash (SOP)
Key Drivers and Restraints of Potassium Fertilizers Market
Increase in demand for fertilizers is boosting the potassium fertilizers market. The potassium fertilizers market is also expected to expand, due to the rise in demand for food, growth in population, and rise in government funding for the usage of advanced techniques and fertilizers for high productivity. However, high concentrations of potassium can suppress plant growth and cause kidney malfunction in humans. High exposure can lead to a buildup of fluid in the lungs. Contact with the eyes can lead to permanent eye damage. This is negatively affecting the potassium fertilizers market.
Potassium Fertilizers Market: Product Type Segment
- Based on product type, the global potassium fertilizers market can be segmented into Muriate of Potash (MOP), Sulfate of Potash (SOP), and others
- Belarus is the largest producer of Muriate of Potash. It produced approximately 11.9 million metric tons of Muriate of Potash in 2019, accounting for 94.2% of the world’s potassium chloride production. It was followed by the U.S., Uzbekistan, Poland, and Portugal. White vegetables, especially potatoes, are the largest contributors to the demand for K-fertilizers.
Potassium Fertilizers Market: Crop Type Segment
- Based on crop type, the potassium fertilizers market can be divided into pulses & oilseeds, cereals & grains, fruits & vegetables, turf & ornamentals, and others
- Cereals, rice, wheat, and maize are the major determinants of potassium consumption in the global market, owing to their relatively higher value-to-cost ratio. Cereals rank the highest in the value-to-cost ratio, followed by wheat and rice.
- Potassium helps plants survive stress, pests, and diseases. Furthermore, potassium improves metabolic process and help plants fight pests when supplied adequately.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), global demand for potassium stood at 38,711 thousand tons in 2020
COVID-19 Impact on Global Potassium Fertilizers Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The potassium fertilizers market has been recovering with the tightening of global potash supply-demand balance
- Supplies have struggled to keep pace with demand in many countries, including the U.S., during the COVID-19 pandemic. Major players such as Nutrien Ltd. and K+S AG are ramping up their production capacities to cater to the rising demand.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Global Potassium Fertilizers Market
- In terms of region, the potassium fertilizers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global potassium fertilizers market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period
- Asia Pacific dominates the potassium fertilizer market, due to the presence of the largest agricultural area. Major crops produced in the region, which demand high potassium requirement include rice, sugar beets, fruits and vegetables, cereals, and grains. Thus, rise in production of field crops in the region is likely to positively impact the demand for potassium fertilizers in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- The market in Europe and North America are likely to witness steady growth over the forecast period due to market saturation, while South America and Africa are predicted to exhibit high growth in the next few years, owing to the vast cultivation of rice, corn, and sugarcane in these regions
- Canada and Russia are the largest producers of potassium fertilizers in the world owing to their surplus deposits
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Potassium Fertilizers Market
The Potassium fertilizers market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the potassium fertilizers market include:
- Nutrien Ltd. (Potash Corp)
- Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan.
- Belaruskali Company
- Uralkali Company
- The Mosaic Company
- K+S AG
- CF Industries
- Uralkali PJSC
- Israel Chemicals
- Yara International
- The Mosaic Company
Potassium Fertilizers: Research Scope
Potassium Fertilizers Market, by Product Type
- Muriate of Potash (MOP)
- Sulfate of Potash (SOP)
Potassium Fertilizers Market, by Crop Type
- Cereals & Grains
- Pulses & Oilseeds
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Turf & Ornamentals
Potassium Fertilizers Market, by Application
Global Potassium Fertilizers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.