Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market: Introduction
- Polyvinyl butyral resins are produced from polyvinyl alcohol and n-butyraldehyde in a condensation reaction. Polyvinyl butyral resins offer a wide range of performance properties including good flexibility, film toughness, and adhesion.
- Key areas of application of polyvinyl butyral resin include inter-layers for safety glass, paints, lacquers, and varnishes (for example, primers for metals and anti-corrosion paints), printing inks, temporary binders, and adhesives
Rising Demand from Automotive and Architectural Sectors to Drive Global Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market
- In terms of application, the global polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market can be segmented into automotive, architectural, coatings, adhesives, inks, and others
- In automotive and architectural sectors, polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins are used as a raw material in the production of laminated safety glass sheets. Automotive and architectural sectors account for more than 80% share of the total consumption of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins. In automotive applications, laminated safety glass is used for the side and the roof windshields to enhance safety and reduce transfer of noise and light. In architectural applications, laminated safety glass is used in windows so as to promote energy savings and reduce noise. Laminated glass is a safety and security glass that is made by sandwiching a laminated sheet between two pieces of glass. The laminated sheet is usually a polyvinyl butyral (PVB) sheet. Use of the PVB sheet in the middle of the glass helps in sticking glass pieces to it if the glass is broken.
- PVB is also used in solar panels as encapsulants, but this application remains fairly limited. China and Europe account for a major share of the global PVB resins market. Laminated safety glass is widely used in the architectural industry in Europe, but to a lesser extent than the rest of the world, due to availability of alternative glass products in the region. Automotive production in China continues to increase strongly.
- PVB resins are consumed in wood coatings, wash primers, structural adhesives, inks/dry toners, and as a binder for ceramics and composite fibers
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Different Types of Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins
- Based on product type, PVB resins are classified as films and non-films. The films segment is estimated to dominate the global PVB resins market, followed by the non-films segment, during the forecast period.
- Polyvinyl butyral resin used for films and sheets offers a unique combination. Addition of polyvinyl butyral to a system imparts adhesion, toughness, and flexibility. PVB retains clarity of the coating and offers reactive hydroxyl sites for crosslinking with thermosets.
Asia Pacific to Hold a Major Share of Global Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market
- Geographically, the global polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market can be divided into the following five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins across the world, followed by Europe and North America. Asia Pacific is expected to lead the global polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market in the near future also, due to rise in the demand for polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins in the building & construction sector in the region. Rise in construction activities in countries such as China, India, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia has fueled the demand for polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins in the region.
- The polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market in Europe is led by Germany, France, and the U.K. The market in the region is primarily driven by increasing demand from architectural and automotive industries in Europe.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market is consolidated, with market players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher market share. These players are offering a complete portfolio of products and focusing on different business strategies to strengthen their market position.
The three multinational producers of PVB are Eastman Chemical (Solutia subsidiary), Kuraray, and Sekisui, which collectively account for over 60% of the global production capacity. China accounts for most of the remaining capacity.
Key players operating in the global polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resins market are:
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Kuraray America, Inc.
- SEKISUI CHEMICAL CO., LTD.
- Huakai Plastic (Chongqing) Co., Ltd.
- Chang Chun Group
- DuLite PVB FILM
- Tiantai Kanglai Industrial Co., Ltd.
Global Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market: Research Scope
Global Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market, by Application
Global Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB) Resins Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.