COVID-19 Impact on Global Polyurethane Catalyst Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has led to disturbance in the supply chain due to the global lockdown in several countries. The spread of coronavirus has caused a decline in demand for chemical intermediates due to uncertainty in the global economy and capital markets.
- The COVID-19 pandemic and nationwide lockdown of several non-essential activities and manufacturing facilities has hampered the demand for polyurethane catalyst. However, the market is anticipated to expand at a healthy pace during the forecast period due to the acceptance of new normal conditions and recovery of end-use industries in various countries.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Polyurethane Catalyst Market
- Demand for polyurethane catalysts is expected to increase at a significant pace during the forecast period due to the increase in automotive production. Polyurethane is used in the seat covers of vehicles, since they protect the leather from UV radiation and high temperatures. Polyurethane is also used as coatings for various interior and exterior applications in the automotive industry. Additionally, rise in demand for lightweight vehicles is boosting automotive production, thereby augmenting the demand for polyurethane in the automotive sector.
- Growth in production of automotive vehicles is propelling the market for polyurethane. In turn, this is is driving the market for polyurethane catalyst.
- High cost of polyurethane catalysts is negatively affecting the polyurethane catalyst market
Polyurethane Catalyst Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, the polyurethane catalyst market has been divided into foam, adhesive and sealant, coating, elastomer, and others
- The foam segment dominates the global polyurethane catalyst market
- Foams are used in applications such as mattresses, furniture, and construction insulation. Rigid foams are primarily used as insulating materials in refrigerators. Polyurethane-based coatings consume a fairly large proportion of the polyurethane by volume globally, as they are generally used as additives in paints, varnishes, and finishing coats to protect and seal wood. Their strong resistance to water, high humidity, extreme temperatures, and fungus make PU-based paints an ideal coating material for many wooden products. Strong demand for PU foams in the global market is expected to drive the demand for polyurethane catalyst during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Global Polyurethane Catalyst Market
- In terms of region, the polyurethane catalyst market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global polyurethane catalyst market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period
- China, India, Thailand, and Vietnam are some of the key markets for polyurethane due to their large population base and low per capita consumption of polyurethane compared to developed countries such as Germany or the U.S. China is the largest consumer of polyurethane, as it is the largest producer of footwear and automobiles across the globe.
- Approximately 65% of the world’s footwear is manufactured in China and approximately 15% is produced in India, Vietnam, and Indonesia combined. As a result, Asia Pacific (including China) accounts for almost 45% of the global polyurethane consumption by volume. Asia Pacific is also the manufacturing and export hub for many products globally.
- India and China alone manufacture approximately 50% of the world’s cars. These countries consume approximately 50% of the polyurethane used for automobiles globally. Expansion of the property market has also spurred the demand for furniture, mattresses, and insulation products. Polyurethane is a key raw material in these products.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Polyurethane Catalyst Market
The polyurethane catalyst market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the polyurethane catalyst market include:
- BASF SE
- Covestro AG
- Elé Corporation
- Gulbrasnson Chemical Pvt. Ltd.
- Huntsman International LLC
- Kao Corporation
- Momentive Performance Materials Inc.
Polyurethane Catalyst Market: Research Scope
Polyurethane Catalyst Market, by Product Type
- Reactive Amine Catalyst
- Non-reactive Amine Catalyst
- Organic Metal Catalyst
Polyurethane Catalyst Market, by Application
- Adhesive and Sealant
Global Polyurethane Catalyst Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Polyurethane Catalyst Market: Introduction
- Polyurethanes are produced from heat exchangers between alcohol and reactive hydroxyl and isocyanate. Polyurethane catalysts can be classified into two broad categories: basic and acidic amine.
- As bases, traditional amine catalysts include dimethylcyclohexylamine, dimethylethanolamine (DMEA), and bis-(2-dimethylaminoethyl) ether. A typical Lewis acidic catalyst is dibutyltin dilaurate.
- Tertiary amine catalysts function by enhancing the nucleophilicity of the diol component
- Alkyl tin carboxylates, oxides, and mercaptide oxides function as mild Lewis acids in accelerating the formation of polyurethane
- Polyurethane catalysts plays a significant role in the manufacture of polyurethane foam
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.