Polypropylene Impact Copolymer: Introduction
- Polypropylene impact copolymers are thermoplastic resins produced through the polymerization of propylene and ethylene in the presence of Ziegler Natta catalysts. Their synthesis consists of a heterophasic amorphous structure inside a semi-crystalline polypropylene homopolymer matrix. Impact copolymers can be transformed by various processing technologies such as sheet extrusion, blow molding, film, injection molding fiber, and thermoforming.
- Polypropylene is a cost-effective material that offers a combination of outstanding physical, mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties, as compared to that offered by any other thermoplastic. Polypropylene impact copolymers are available in a wide range of melt flow rates. Polypropylene impact copolymers exhibit good processability, impact strength, and stiffness properties. They are also suitable for various injection molding applications such as batteries, appliances, and industrial applications.
- Polypropylene impact copolymer is marginally soft; however, it possesses better impact strength, toughness, and more durable than homopolymer polypropylene. Copolymer polypropylene possesses better stress crack resistance and low temperature toughness, as compared to that offered by homopolymer at the expense of quite small reductions in other properties.
- Polypropylene impact copolymer is utilized in applications where Polypropylene homopolymer is too brittle or needs better impact performance. Polypropylene impact copolymers can be formulated to have notched Izod impact strength between 1.5 and 10 ft-lbs/in providing for a good balance between strength, stiffness, and impact performance.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market
- The global polypropylene impact copolymer market is estimated to be fuelled by several favorable characteristics such as excellent dimensional stability, fast cooling times, food approval, good flowability, good process ability, high impact resistance, impact/stiffness balance. Polypropylene impact copolymer does not produce non-hazardous and non-toxic effects on inhalation and ingestion. Moreover, it exhibits low toxicity for aquatic organisms. The global polypropylene impact copolymer market is anticipated to expand substantially during the forecast period due to increased demand for high performance, cost-effective, and lightweight packaging solutions.
Polypropylene Impact Copolymer: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global polypropylene impact copolymer market can be segmented into packaging, automotive, building & construction, electrical and electronics, medical, and others
- The packaging segment is estimated to lead the polypropylene impact copolymer market, and the trend is estimated to remain the same during the forecast period, as it is extensively utilized for packaging. Polypropylene impact copolymer is majorly used in food packaging applications where there is direct contact with food or beverages.
Covid-19 Impact on Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and severe negative impact on the globally integrated industry, including the industrial and manufacturing sectors, by hampering the supply chain significantly. Manufacturing industries came to a complete halt due to lockdown measures adopted by various countries to stop the spread of the deadly disease. This hindered production activities significantly. Lockdowns due to COVID-19 are also expected to hamper manufacturing, distribution, and supply of polypropylene impact copolymer considerably.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
Asia Pacific to Dominate Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market
- In terms of region, the global polypropylene impact copolymer market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is estimated to account for a significant share of the global polypropylene impact copolymer market. Increased demand for polypropylene from packaging, automotive, building & construction, electrical & electronics, and medical industries in China and India is driving the market in Asia Pacific.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market
The global polypropylene impact copolymer market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global polypropylene impact copolymer market include:
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Formosa Plastics Corporation
- China Petrochemical Corporation
- LG Chem
- Eastman Chemical Company
- BASF SE
- Reliance Industries Limited
- Westlake Chemical Corporation
- Haldia Petrochemicals Limited
- Lotte Chemical UK LTD.
Global Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market: Research Scope
Global Polypropylene Impact Copolymer Market, by End-use
- Building & Construction
- Electrical and Electronics
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!