Polyphthalamide - Opening Up Unimagined Possibilities
High-temperature thermoplastics have emerged as a rapidly growing segment over the years, and continue to remain a 'hot' and 'in-demand' technology in a wide range of applications. Be it to enhance the lifespan of oil and gas assets, or a metal-replacement solution in the rapidly-expanding automotive industry, the applications of high-temperature thermoplastics, such as polyphthalamide, are becoming endless. With higher short- and long-term thermal stability, resistance to burning, chemical and radiation resistance, and superior mechanical properties, polyphthalamides have been garnering significant traction, due the fact that they can fulfill unique prerequisites for a wide range of applications.
Gauging the future opportunistic potential of the polyphthalamide market, Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its latest business intelligence, assesses how this high-temperature-resistant plastic is paving the way for unimagined possibilities in diverse fields. The study also turns the spotlight on riveting insights and in-depth analysis of the polyphthalamide market, which can arm stakeholders with the key facts and statistics of the industry, so as to make winning decisions.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
History and Future Scope of Polyphthalamide
The commercialization of polyphthalamide (PPA) resin traces back to 1991, and since then, rapid technological advancements have improved the stiffness and creep & fatigue resistance properties of polyphthalamide. The emergence of enhanced resin production technology enabled the manufacturing of a wide range of polymers, including semi-crystalline and amorphous resin. The TMR research analysis indicates an upward trajectory for the sales of polyphthalamide, with its market anticipated to be valued at ~ US$ 1.3 Bn in 2018. As per the study estimates, the sales of polyphthalamide are highly likely to grow in 2019, and beyond, with the market projected to register ~ 2x growth between 2019 and 2027. Additionally, the number of companies vying for a considerable pie of the market is anticipated to pick up pace with each passing year.
Impact of Undercurrents on the Polyphthalamide Market
Lightweight Auto Components Craze Uplifting Gains
The automotive industry is swiftly replacing metal components with plastics to lessen overall vehicle body weight. In view of the growing traction for lightweight auto components, automakers are increasingly leveraging ways to squeeze higher revenues out of this far-reaching trend. This falls in line with the aromatic nature of polyphthalamide that has been driving its employment over other polyamide products for thermal management applications. With such favorable properties, polyphthalamides are emerging as a promising substitute to metals in the powertrain, by providing a range of benefits that include feature flexibility, weight reduction, and potential for cost reduction. Automakers are increasingly employing glass fiber reinforced polyphthalamide due to its versatile properties, for manufacturing vehicle parts, motor valves, and fuel line systems, thereby creating lucrative growth opportunities for market players. Furthermore, the rising demand for SUVs and electric vehicles is fueling the traction for under-the-bonnet parts and components that are made of polyphthalamide compounds.
Electrical & Electronics - Hotbed of Applications for PPA
The superior heat resistance and low electricity modulus benefits of polyphthalamide have been pacing up its application in the electronics industry. The ability of polyphthalamides to prevent reflectors from turning yellow due to heat over a period of time continues to create a bedrock of opportunities for stakeholders in this industry. In fact, leading electronics players, such as Philips, have been using PPA in their product lines. Additionally, the flame-retardant nature of polyphthalamide is also fueling its applications in connectors for printers and memory card bases. The lucrativeness of the electronics industry will remain high for polyphthalamide manufacturers, owing to the surging demand for electronic gadgets such as mobile phones and computers.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the “Polyphthalamide” market? Ask for the report brochure here
Laser-Sharp Focus on Capitalizing the ‘Bio-based’ Trend
The rising demand for bio-based resin with eco-friendly properties and biodegradable benefits is pushing the sales of polyphthalamide. Extensive applications of bio-based polymers in extreme conditions continue to uphold market gains. For instance, Evonik-engineered polyphthalamide, VESTAMID Htplus, delivers excellent results in high temperatures above 180 degree Celsius, and is being highly utilized in air ducts in the turbochargers of several vehicles to reduce the carbon footprint in the environment.
Banking on End-Use-specific Product Development & Modification
Several companies in the polyphthalamide market are focusing on the development of end-use-specific variants to appeal to a wide pool of consumers, and drive product sales. For instance, in May 2019, BASF
Corporation expanded its portfolio by introducing new the PPA Ultramid Advanced T2000 in Guangzhou, China. This launch is extensively focused on catering to the growing demand for flame-retardant connectors in the regional electrical and electronics industry.
Consolidating Position in Asia Pacific
Growth opportunities remain abound for polyphthalamide manufacturers in Asia Pacific, primarily driven by the high demand for PPA composites in proliferating automotive and electronic manufacturing industries. China is anticipated to remain the most lucrative country in the polyphthalamide market through to 2027, in line with the growing use of PPA in automotive components such as fuel pipe lines, motor bobbin parts, and coolant pipes. As per TMR, the market for polyphthalamide in China is envisaged to expand at an ~ 8% CAGR during the foreseeable period. Several market players are making strategic moves to consolidate their position in different countries across Asia Pacific. For instance, in October 2018, Celanese Corporation acquired India-based Next Polymers Ltd to strengthen its market position in Asia Pacific.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on “Polyphthalamide market” here
Polyphthalamide Market - Competitive Analysis
- In October 2018, BASF SE launched a new polyphthalamide brand - Ultramid Advanced N - at the Fakuma Trade Fair in Germany, with the aim to expand its product range of partially aromatic polyamides for the PPA market, globally.
- In November 2017, DowDuPont Inc. announced a capacity expansion of the company’s Belgium facility to meet the increased demand for high performance polyamide resin from diverse end-use industries over the past years.
The polyphthalamide market can be characterized by the presence of a large number of domestic and global manufacturers that are vying to gain a stronger position in the industry. The degree of competition is high in the market, with leading players such as BASF SE, SABIC, Arkema, Celanese Corporation, DowDuPont, Royal DSM, and Solvay, collectively accounting for ~ 44% market share. Companies such as Arkema are focused on reinforcing their market foothold by expanding their new product ranges of polyphthalamide.
Authors of the report maintain a positive outlook of the polyphthalamide market for the forecast period. This market is projected to register an impressive CAGR of ~ 8% during the time frame of 2019-2027. Companies that are focusing on addressing the upswings in raw material costs by adopting strategic approaches are likely to gain a stronger position in the polyphthalamide market through to 2027. Extensive R&D directed towards enhancing the effectiveness of polyphthalamide as a key metal replacement polymer is highly likely to emerge as a key focus area of market players in the years to come. Market participants need to focus on the development of modified polymers for metal replacement through extensive R&D.
Higher Stiffness, Moisture Resistance, and Light Weight of Polyphthalamide to Provide New Growth Avenues
- Polyphthalamide falls under high-performance polyamide materials in chemistry. It provides stability and excellent mechanical characteristics to various applications. These key properties are expected to fuel the demand for polyphthalamide in the near future.
- Polyphthalamide is reinforced with materials such as glass fiber, carbon fiber, minerals, and hybrid. These materials provide properties such as creep resistance, fatigue resistance, and chemical resistance to polyphthalamide. The composition of glass fiber and carbon fiber materials enhances the mechanical strength and stiffness of end-use products. These properties play an important role in several industries such as electronics, automotive, personal care, industrial equipment, and medical industries.
- Electric vehicles are considered the future of automobiles, owing to technological advancements in commercial engines. These vehicles are estimated to help achieve the goal of zero carbon emissions by 2030. This is projected to offer lucrative opportunities for polyphthalamide manufacturers in the near future.
Global Polyphthalamide Market Highlights
- In terms of value, the global polyphthalamide market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~ 8% to reach ~ US$ 2.5 Bn by 2027.
- Asia Pacific was the leading region of the global polyphthalamide market in 2018. The market in the region is estimated to expand at a CAGR of ~ 8% between 2019 and 2027.
- Global production of mobile phones stood at more than 1.5 billion units in 2018. It is likely to increase at a significant pace from 2019 to 2027. Rise in the penetration of mobile phones, especially in emerging countries, is expected to fuel the demand for polyphthalamide during the forecast period.
- Polyphthalamide is primarily employed by major mobile manufacturers due to its excellent creep and fatigue resistance. This is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market in the next few years.
- According to a publication by the International Energy Agency (IEA), the global sales of electric vehicle and cars stood at 1.1 million units in 2017. Sales are estimated to increase at a rapid pace in the next few years.
Glass Fiber Reinforced Grade to Exhibit Rapid Growth in Polyphthalamide Market
- In terms of grade, the glass fiber reinforced segment held a major share of the global polyphthalamide market in 2018. The segment is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~ 8% during the forecast period. The high demand for glass fiber grade polyphthalamide is majorly ascribed to its unique characteristics such as good moisture resistance, good chemical resistance, and good creep resistance.
- Glass fiber material is widely employed in a number of applications, especially in under hood applications such as coolant pipelines, fuelling systems, and wire housing products. The high demand for lightweight and durable vehicle components is projected to boost the demand for polyphthalamide during the forecast period.
- The carbon fiber reinforced segment also held a key share of the market in 2018. It is likely to continue to be a highly lucrative segment of the market from 2019 to 2027, due to its superior high-temperature resistance properties. The grade is employed largely in the automotive industry. The carbon fiber reinforced segment is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 8.5% from 2019 to 2027.
Demand for Polyphthalamide to Increase in Consumer Electronics and Automotive End-use Industries
- In terms of end-use, automotive is expected to remain a highly lucrative segment of the global polyphthalamide market from 2019 to 2027. Polyphthalamide is primarily used in automotive applications owing to its light weight.
- Significant opportunities for the automotive segment can be ascribed to the high demand for polyphthalamide in components such as motor parts, brakes, engine valves, and bushes. The automotive segment is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~ 5% during the forecast period.
- Raw materials with lightweight properties play a vital role in enhancing the overall performance of vehicles. Increase in the demand for efficient electric vehicles is expected to offer significant potential for the polyphthalamide market during the forecast period.
- Rapid technological advancements in the consumer electronics industry have been boosting the demand for smartphones, computers, and USB drives. This is anticipated to propel the global polyphthalamide market in the near future.
- Mobile phones and parts manufacturers are seeking low-cost and high-performance materials to meet the requirements of customers across the globe. The high demand for lightweight and higher stiffness products for long durability is expected to boost the demand for polyphthalamide in the next few years.
Asia Pacific Expected to be Highly Lucrative Region
- In terms of value and volume, Asia Pacific constituted a prominent share of the global polyphthalamide market in 2018. This trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- The polyphthalamide market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand, owing to the increase in population, rise in disposable income, and growth in end-use industries in the region.
- The strong presence of consumer electronics and automotive companies in Asia Pacific due to the large availability of raw materials is a key factor estimated to fuel the polyphthalamide market in the region.
- After Asia Pacific, Europe constituted a key share of the global polyphthalamide market in 2018, led by the large presence of end-use industries such as automotive, electronics, and personal care, in the region.
Polyphthalamide Market - Competitive Landscape
- The report comprises detailed profiles of major players operating in the global polyphthalamide market. It also consists of a matrix comparison of the top four players - Royal DSM, Arkema, Dow DuPont, and BASF SE - operating in the polyphthalamide market. The competitive landscape includes detailed market share analysis and product mapping for manufacturing companies in the polyphthalamide market in 2018.
- Key players operating in the global polyphthalamide market include
- BASF Corporation
- DowDuPont Inc.
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- Celanese Corporation
- The global polyphthalamide market is likely to remain highly fragmented during the forecast period. Manufacturers have been investing significantly to enhance the properties of polyphthalamide.
Polyphthalamide Market Report: Introduction
A latest research study compiled and published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) assesses the historical and current scenario of the global polyphthalamide market, to accurately gauge its future opportunistic development. The report includes comprehensive information about the key growth influencers, restraints, and significant trends that are impacting the growth of the polyphthalamide market, to identify the opportunistic prospects of the business potential for partakers. The report also presents detailed information about how the polyphthalamide market will accelerate during the study period of 2019-2027.
The report presents incisive dynamics about the varying aspects and nuances of the polyphthalamide market, to assist currently operating market players make winning development strategies. TMR’s report also sheds light on the considerable changes that are highly likely to impact the polyphthalamide market during the projection period. It includes key indicator assessment to highlight the various growth prospects of the polyphthalamide market, and forecast statistics pertaining to the market’s progress in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (tons).
The report includes a comprehensive taxonomy of the polyphthalamide market and actionable insights on the competitive landscape. The report includes the company profiles of the players that are currently operating in the polyphthalamide market, wherein, a range of development and winning strategies adopted by the leading players have been mentioned in detail.
Polyphthalamide Market - Segmentation
TMR’s research study evaluates the polyphthalamide market based on grade, end use, and region. The report offers exhaustive market dynamics and rapidly changing trends associated with different segments, and how they are shaping the growth prospects of the polyphthalamide market.
Glass Fiber Reinforced
Carbon Fiber Reinforced
Electrical & Electronics
Industrial Equipment & Apparatus
Oil & Gas
Middle East & Africa
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on Polyphthalamide Market
The report offers in-depth information about the polyphthalamide market, based on comprehensive research on broad level factors that are playing an imperative role in driving the growth potential of the market. Information given in the report answers the salient questions for companies that are currently operating in the industry, or the ones eying penetration into the polyphthalamide market, to help them formulate rewarding strategies and take business-driving decisions.
- Which grade of polyphthalamide will emerge as a revenue generator for the market in 2023?
- How are market forerunners successfully cashing in on the attributes of polyphthalamide?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the polyphthalamide market between 2019 and 2021?
- What are the winning strategies of market leaders in the polyphthalamide market?
- Which end-use industry is likely to generate maximum application for polyphthalamide during the forecast period?
- What rate of ROI can polyphthalamide manufacturers expect from hybrid offerings?
Research Methodology – Polyphthalamide Market
The research methodology employed by analysts for developing the polyphthalamide market report is based on exhaustive primary and secondary research. By digging deeper into the industry-cited details that are obtained and validated by market-pertinent resources, analysts have presented incisive insights and reliable forecasts of the polyphthalamide market.
During the primary research phase, analysts interviewed C-level executives, industry players, investors, brand managers, raw material suppliers, regional managers, vice presidents, and sales and marketing managers. Based on the information obtained through the interviews of relevant resources, analysts have underlined the development scenario of the polyphthalamide market.
For secondary research, analysts gauged multiple annual report publications, research publications, industry association publications, white papers, case studies, and company websites to acquire the necessary understanding of the polyphthalamide market.