Polyolefin Elastomers: Introduction
- Polyolefin elastomers are a relatively new class of polymers that emerged due to recent advances in metallocene polymerization catalysts. They represent a rapidly growing class of synthetic polymers, and can be substituted for numerous generic polymers including ethylene propylene rubbers (EPR or EPDM), ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), styrene-block copolymers (SBCs), and poly vinyl chloride (PVC).
- Polyolefin elastomers are copolymers of ethylene and butene (EBR) or octene (EOR) produced by a metallocene catalyst. They bridge the gap between traditional elastomers and thermoplastics. They can be utilized for various applications including polymer modification and film manufacturing.
- Polyolefin elastomers (POE) are elastomers based on a polyethylene backbone. POEs offer low density and high flexibility and are commonly employed to impact modify PE and PP compounds or to make PE and PP molded products more flexible. They can be utilized in injection molding, extrusion, and film and compounding.
Rise in demand for polyolefin elastomers in medical industry to drive polyolefin elastomers market
- Demand for polyolefin elastomers in the manufacturing of medical devices, such as catheters, tubes, masks, bags is increasing. Properties of polyolefin elastomers, such as high sterilization resistance, easy blending with other polymers, high torque transference, excellent impact resistance, resistance to harsh chemicals, are likely to propel the demand for polyolefin elastomers.
- Polyolefin elastomers and their properties make them ideal for applications such as prosthetics, surgical instruments, and mobility aids. Polyolefin elastomers are soft enough to use on the patient’s skin; they can be hardened and made to withstand repeated use and shocks.
- Governing bodies across the globe are focusing on the enactment of more stringent regulations on the use of plastics owing to health concerns. Polyolefin elastomers are recyclable and do not pose much threat to the environment. All these factors, together, propel the polyolefin elastomers market.
Applications of Polyolefin Elastomers
- Polyolefin elastomers have emerged as a leading material for automotive exterior and interior applications, wire and cable, extruded and molded goods, film applications, medical goods, adhesives, footwear, and foams
- In North America and Western Europe, compounded TPO (Thermoplastic polyolefin elastomers) is the major end-user of polyolefin elastomers, accounting for over half the market. The main application of compounded TPO is the fabrication of auto parts.
- Polymer (impact) modification is a rapidly increasing end-use for polyolefin elastomers. Polyolefin elastomers are employed as polymer modifiers in diverse products including sheeting, packaging film (as the seal layer) and medical goods. Additionally, polymer modification of EVAs for footwear is an important end-use in Asia.
- Other POE applications include foam, blow molding, sheeting, building and construction, other extrusion and footwear such as trainers and flip flops. POEs have a sealing temperature advantage in packaging and rigid packaging applications.
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market
Sluggish expansion of economies across the globe coupled with disruption of supply-chain are key factors that are expected to hamper the global market in 2020. However, rising demand for catheters, tubes, masks, bags, etc., due to the spread of the pandemic is expected to boost production and consumption of polyolefin elastomers in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market
- In terms of region, the global Polyolefin Elastomers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value, Asia Pacific dominated the global polyolefin elastomers market in 2019. Technological advancements in economies such as China and India are likely to augment the demand for thermoplastic polyamide elastomers in the region during the forecast period.
- Europe is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the polyolefin elastomers market, which is attributed to expansion by athletic footwear manufacturers in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global polyolefin elastomers market is consolidated, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to consolidate their position.
- ExxonMobil and Dow account for more than 50% of the global production capacity for polyolefin elastomers
Prominent players operating in the global polyolefin elastomers market include:
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Entec Polymers
- LG Chem
Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market: Research Scope
Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market, by Application
- Compounded TPOs
- Building and construction
- Polymer modification
- Wire and cable
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.