Polyolefin Elastomers: Introduction
- Polyolefin elastomers are a relatively new class of polymers that emerged due to recent advances in metallocene polymerization catalysts. They represent a rapidly growing class of synthetic polymers, and can be substituted for numerous generic polymers including ethylene propylene rubbers (EPR or EPDM), ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), styrene-block copolymers (SBCs), and poly vinyl chloride (PVC).
- Polyolefin elastomers are copolymers of ethylene and butene (EBR) or octene (EOR) produced by a metallocene catalyst. They bridge the gap between traditional elastomers and thermoplastics. They can be utilized for various applications including polymer modification and film manufacturing.
- Polyolefin elastomers (POE) are elastomers based on a polyethylene backbone. POEs offer low density and high flexibility and are commonly employed to impact modify PE and PP compounds or to make PE and PP molded products more flexible. They can be utilized in injection molding, extrusion, and film and compounding.
Rise in demand for polyolefin elastomers in medical industry to drive polyolefin elastomers market
- Demand for polyolefin elastomers in the manufacturing of medical devices, such as catheters, tubes, masks, bags is increasing. Properties of polyolefin elastomers, such as high sterilization resistance, easy blending with other polymers, high torque transference, excellent impact resistance, resistance to harsh chemicals, are likely to propel the demand for polyolefin elastomers.
- Polyolefin elastomers and their properties make them ideal for applications such as prosthetics, surgical instruments, and mobility aids. Polyolefin elastomers are soft enough to use on the patient’s skin; they can be hardened and made to withstand repeated use and shocks.
- Governing bodies across the globe are focusing on the enactment of more stringent regulations on the use of plastics owing to health concerns. Polyolefin elastomers are recyclable and do not pose much threat to the environment. All these factors, together, propel the polyolefin elastomers market.
Applications of Polyolefin Elastomers
- Polyolefin elastomers have emerged as a leading material for automotive exterior and interior applications, wire and cable, extruded and molded goods, film applications, medical goods, adhesives, footwear, and foams
- In North America and Western Europe, compounded TPO (Thermoplastic polyolefin elastomers) is the major end-user of polyolefin elastomers, accounting for over half the market. The main application of compounded TPO is the fabrication of auto parts.
- Polymer (impact) modification is a rapidly increasing end-use for polyolefin elastomers. Polyolefin elastomers are employed as polymer modifiers in diverse products including sheeting, packaging film (as the seal layer) and medical goods. Additionally, polymer modification of EVAs for footwear is an important end-use in Asia.
- Other POE applications include foam, blow molding, sheeting, building and construction, other extrusion and footwear such as trainers and flip flops. POEs have a sealing temperature advantage in packaging and rigid packaging applications.
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market
Sluggish expansion of economies across the globe coupled with disruption of supply-chain are key factors that are expected to hamper the global market in 2020. However, rising demand for catheters, tubes, masks, bags, etc., due to the spread of the pandemic is expected to boost production and consumption of polyolefin elastomers in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market
- In terms of region, the global Polyolefin Elastomers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value, Asia Pacific dominated the global polyolefin elastomers market in 2019. Technological advancements in economies such as China and India are likely to augment the demand for thermoplastic polyamide elastomers in the region during the forecast period.
- Europe is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the polyolefin elastomers market, which is attributed to expansion by athletic footwear manufacturers in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global polyolefin elastomers market is consolidated, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to consolidate their position.
- ExxonMobil and Dow account for more than 50% of the global production capacity for polyolefin elastomers
Prominent players operating in the global polyolefin elastomers market include:
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Entec Polymers
- LG Chem
Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market: Research Scope
Global Polyolefin Elastomers Market, by Application
- Compounded TPOs
- Building and construction
- Polymer modification
- Wire and cable
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!