Polymer Dispersion Market to Evolve with Advent of Nano-dispersion Technology
Though the global polymer dispersion market has reached a mature and stable stage, it is undergoing major transitions with the emergence of technological innovations, which are triggered by the growing need for environment-friendly polymer applications.
The global polymer dispersion market is currently valued at ~US$ 7.6 billion, and is anticipated to experience double digit growth by 2027, to reach a value of ~US$ 11.8 billion. Ongoing developments in the polymer dispersion landscape are giving rise to newer applications for sealers and primers with the help of nano-dispersion technology. Likewise, stakeholders are using this technology to its full potential to provide their clients and end users with high-efficiency sealants and adhesion improved penetration primers devised with nano emulsions.
Owing to the rising demand for high-performance adhesives and sealants in various industrial applications, nano-emulsions offer several advantages as compared to conventional emulsions. However, the issue of durability and shelf-life of surfaces and structures may slow down the demand for nano-emulsions. Although nano-emulsions might have a few drawbacks, various studies and experiments show that, the water repellency attribute of nano-emulsions, prevention of ruptures, and moisture migration are creating demand for suitable applications on other substrates such as wood, concrete, tiles, and plaster to leverage product performance when used with additives.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Business Scope for Hybrid Polyurethane-Acrylic Coatings to Rise
The demand for polymers began from the mid-20th century with the introduction of plastics in the polymer dispersion market, and has evolved as a profitable industry with numerous applications in resin-based acrylics, paints, coatings and printing inks. With new opportunities coming to the fore in the polyurethane industry, stakeholders in the polymer dispersion market are likely to focus on adopting novel techniques such as crosslinking polyurethane dispersions for highly-efficacious wood coatings.
Polyurethane dispersions (PUDs) create a unique film formation, which provides customers with a distinguished appearance for wooden structures and high-resistance properties. However, though polyurethane coatings have several advantages, the usage of PUDs is sometimes limited due to their high costs as compared to acrylic emulsions. Eventually, this challenge could hamper the demand for polyurethane coatings in the polymer dispersion landscape.
Since acrylics account for ~43% revenue share of the polymer dispersion market, manufacturers are opting to crosslink PUDs with acrylic through a chemical reaction or physical blend, which results in a PUD-acrylic hybrid, in order to equalize the high costs of polyurethane coatings. This PUD-acrylic hybrid acts as a highly-efficient wood coating that improves the crosslink density of the film coating, thus adding up to the consumer value for wooden furniture.
Bio-based Polymers Serve as Eco-friendly Alternatives for Interior Paints & Plasters
As governments are encouraging the manufacturing of environmentally-friendly materials, stakeholders in the polymer dispersion market are increasing research & development capacities to meet stringent government regulations. These research experiments are being used to produce materials based on renewable raw materials.
Influenced by the exponential revenue growth of bio-based paints and coatings in the polymer dispersion landscape in the U.S and Europe, manufacturers are now turning towards the production of bio-based interior paints and plasters. For instance, in February 2019, Wacker Chemie AG ? one of the leading chemicals company in the landscape of polymer dispersions, announced the launch of hybrid polymeric binders that are produced using vinyl acetate-ethylene polymers and starch for industrial applications. As vinyl acetate polymers account for ~one-third of the polymer dispersion market share, Wacker Chemie AG became one of the first companies in the world to manufacture bio-based hybrid polymeric binders used as additive in paints and plasters for lasting adhesion and an eco-friendly alternative for polymers made with fossil resources such as petroleum and natural gas.
Stakeholders Climb Success Steps with Increased Offerings in Paints & Coatings and Printing Inks
Apart from paints, coatings, adhesives and sealants, stakeholders in the polymer dispersion market are also expanding their product offerings for a wide spectrum of oilfield applications. Manufacturers are increasing efforts in research & development to produce bio-polymer additives. Likewise, AkzoNobel ? one of the largest global paints and coatings companies in the polymer dispersion landscape, announced the launch of several product offerings for the oilfield industry, through its business unit Surface Chemistry. These products include a range of natural and synthetic materials that are used to produce iron-linked pseudo-polymer complexes that serve as effective crude oil extractors.
Besides increased research and developments, stakeholders are advancing on transforming business operations to provide consumers and end users with efficacious printing inks for various industrial purposes, since printing inks account for ~two-thirds of the polymer dispersion market. Recently, a study was conducted on the effect of different surfactant monomers on water-soluble emulsion polymers as a binder for water-based printing inks. Results concluded that, synthesized di maleate surfomer ? a type of surfactant monomer, enhances the color strength of the printing ink, but slightly affects its viscosity.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the “Polymer Dispersion Market"? Ask for the report brochure here
Waterborne Coatings and Strategic Expansions Combat Market Restraints
The global polymer dispersion market is prone to stringent environment regulations, and governments across countries are appealing for greener and sustainable materials and polymers. This appeal from governments has given rise to various innovations, and waterborne coatings is one such innovation, with the help of which, stakeholders are maximizing their businesses. The high-water content in waterborne coatings makes them environment-friendly, and easy to apply on various structures and surfaces. Also, their attribute for several applications in furniture, automobiles, plastics and printing inks makes them a highly-appreciated choice for consumers and end users.
Owing to the major market share of acrylics in the polymer dispersion landscape, manufacturers are expanding production capacities in some high-growth potential regions such as Asia Pacific. Manufacturers are devising business strategies by increasing investments that would double the production capacities and facilitate the demand from major end-user industries such as construction, adhesives, and coatings. For instance, in October 2018, BASF SE ? a German leader and one of the largest chemical producers in the polymer dispersion market, announced the expansion of its production capacity for acrylic dispersions in Malaysia. Through this expansion, the company plans to offer a reliable supply of high-efficacy dispersions solutions to clients and end users in fast-growing ASEAN (Association of Southeast Nations) countries, New Zealand, and Australia.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on “Polymer Dispersion Market” here
Analysts of the polymer dispersion market offer a 3600 overview of the strategic opportunities and challenges that stakeholders might face during the projection period of 2019-2027. The polymer dispersion landscape provides a favorable go-ahead for stakeholders that are planning to invest in some of the most fastest-growing markets, such as Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America.
The polymer dispersion market has a wide scope for technological innovations and incremental opportunities. However, stringent environmental regulations from governments for greener and sustainable polymer dispersions are creating pressure on stakeholders to increase research & development activities. With the help of eco-friendly product offerings, such as waterborne coatings and bio-based polymers, stakeholders could be empowered to provide added product value to consumers and other end users.
Global Polymer Dispersion Market: Description
- Polymer dispersions are used in various applications in different industry verticals, such as inks, adhesives, decorative and protective paints & coatings, papers, and sealants. The type of polymer dispersion is selected on the basis of particle size and presence of solid content.
- The global polymer dispersion market reach a valuation of ~US$ 7.6 Bn in 2018, and it is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period, to reach ~US$ 11.8 Bn by 2027.
- The polymer dispersion market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand in the near future, owing to rapid growth of the paints & coatings industry, led by rapid industrialization and urbanization in the region.
- Polymer dispersions are primarily used in paints and coatings, owing to their properties such as improvement in toughness and reduction in the amount of energy required for drying.
Key Growth Drivers of Global Polymer Dispersion Market
- Polymer dispersions are one of the important components used in industries such as paints & coatings, adhesives & sealants, and printing inks. Polymer dispersions are used across a wide spectrum of sectors such as automotive, construction, and industrial through different products such as adhesives, coatings, paints, and inks.
- Moreover, increasing health concerns and rising per capita income are fueling the demand for eco-friendly materials for use in the production adhesives and coatings across various end-user industries. This is anticipated to drive the demand for water-based polyurethane dispersions in the next few years.
- Acrylic dispersions are utilized due to their high structural adhesiveness. Acrylic is an inexpensive resin, and it can be highly useful in various products. However, strong odor, the time-consuming process of the manufacture of acrylic dispersions, and short shelf-life are certain factors restraining the acrylic segment.
Major Challenges for Global Polymer Dispersion Market
- Solvent-based polymer dispersions are formulated by using a solvent and base resin. The solvent material evaporates when employed in applications such as coatings.
- The European Union (EU) has lowered the limit for VOC content in paint and coating formulations. This is likely to increase the costs for coating manufacturers and reduce the usage of solvent-based polymer dispersions in the near future.
- In view of environment-related concerns, high costs, and strict regulations, polymer dispersion manufacturers are shifting their focus toward using water-based technology for the production of polymer dispersions. Strict regulations imposed on the use of polymer dispersions are likely to restrain the global polymer dispersion market during the forecast period.
Lucrative Opportunities for Global Polymer Dispersion Market
- The global polymer dispersion market has been experiencing the development of innovative products with improved properties as compared to the existing ones. Rise in the production of water-based products has led to an increase in the manufacture of resins that are environmentally-sustainable when used in end-use applications.
- The market is shifting toward the adoption of eco-friendly technologies with superior performance for the production of polymer dispersions used in various applications such as paints, adhesives, textiles, and inks.
- The development of emulsion polymerization techniques and availability of water-based polymer dispersions have boosted the demand for coatings and adhesives with low VOC content. The application of dispersions is still one of the major challenges being faced by the global coatings industry, owing to environment-related concerns.
- Furthermore, water-based dispersion technology is expected to attract significant attention, as it is a more eco-friendly approach toward the production of lamination products, bonding products, coatings, inks, and adhesives. Water-based dispersions possess properties that match the properties of traditional solvent-based systems.
Asia Pacific a Prominent Polymer Dispersion Market
- Asia Pacific is expected to be a highly attractive region in the global polymer dispersion market during the forecast period. International players have shifted their production facilities to countries in Asia Pacific, owing to the easy availability of raw materials, abundance of skilled labor, and low manufacturing costs in the region.
- Developing countries in Asia Pacific, such as China and India, provide significant growth opportunities to the polymer dispersion market. End-use industries such as adhesives & sealants, in these countries, are expanding at a rapid pace. This, in turn, is expected fuel the demand for polymer dispersions in these countries in the near future.
- Rise in upcoming infrastructure projects and growth of the building & construction industry in the Middle East & Africa are driving the paints & coatings industry in the region. This, in turn, is fueling the polymer dispersion market in the region.
North America Offers Growth Opportunities
- The demand for polymer dispersions in North America is driven by the rising demand for adhesives, sealants, paints, and coatings in the non-residential sector, and increasing residential renovation activities in the region.
- Furthermore, rise in the demand for sustainable products for use in interior applications, such as low-odor and high-durability products, is boosting the demand for polymer dispersions with low VOC emissions in North America.
- In North America, the U.S. has emerged as a major market for polymer dispersions over the last few years, due to the presence of well-established end-use industries in the country.
- Presently, the demand for polymer dispersions with low VOC emissions is high. Hence, water-based polyurethane and acrylic dispersions are being widely adopted by end-use industries in the region. Additionally, latex and vinyl acetate emulsion polymers are being largely consumed in the automotive sector in the region.
Paints & Coatings Application to Account for a Prominent Share
- In terms of revenue, paints & coatings is a major application segment in the global polymer dispersion market. The segment is projected to be highly lucrative during the forecast period.
- The emergence of advanced polymerization techniques and increase in the production of water-based polymer dispersions drive the paints & coatings application segment.
- Coatings produced by using water-based polymer dispersions are widely employed in Europe, due to their low VOC content. This is attributable to stringent environment-related regulations in the region.
Leading Players Actively Engage in Capacity Expansions and R&D Activities
- Key players operating in the global polymer dispersion market include
- T BASF SE,
- DIC Corporation,
- AkzoNobel NV,
- Asahi Kasei Corporation,
- Clariant AG,
- Wacker Chemie AG,
- Trinseo SA,
- The Dow Chemicals Company, and
- Celanese Corporation.
- These companies are engaged in expansions, mergers & acquisitions (M&As), and joint ventures in order to increase their share in the global polymer dispersion market.
- A majority of these companies are concentrating on capacity expansion, mergers & acquisitions (M&As), and advancements and innovation in polymerization techniques. These companies are also focusing on developing application-specific products.
Polymer Dispersion Market: Scope of the Report
[255 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research’s report on the polymer dispersion market is an all-inclusive study on the historical data, current scenario, and future prospects of the market. The study provides data on the different segments and analytics of the same, by resin, application, and region, within the polymer dispersion market. This report also provides data on the key findings, developments, and trends that are expected to influence the expansion and growth of the polymer dispersion market.
This report by TMR also highlights the advances made by key players and stakeholders in the polymer dispersion market. This, coupled with a detailed segmentation and competitive analysis of the polymer dispersion landscape, gives readers a complete picture of the evolution of the market.
Polymer Dispersion Market: Segmentation
The polymer dispersion market, according to this study by TMR, is divided into three segments - resin, application, and region. The trends, drivers, and impact of these factors are also discussed in this report, on the landscape as a whole, and by each segment.
Paints & Coatings
Vinyl Acetate Polymers
Adhesives & Sealants
Middle East & Africa
Key Questions Answered in the Polymer Dispersion Market Report
This report by TMR offers accurate data and analytics based on extensive data gathered on the development and growth of the polymer dispersion market around the world. The report also answers very important questions about the polymer dispersion market, which can help stakeholders and major players in making key strategies to stay ahead in the business. These questions include:
- What are the drivers and restraints that are prevalent in the polymer dispersion market?
- What is the Y-o-Y growth of the polymer dispersion market expected to be?
- What will be the market value of acrylics by the end of the forecast period?
- How will different trends in the polymer dispersion landscape influence the growth and evolution of the paints and coatings industry?
- Are there any strategies that are being employed by key players in the polymer dispersion market?
- In terms of market value and share, which regions are dominating the polymer dispersion market?
The report begins with a preface that includes the scope, market segmentation, and research highlights of the polymer dispersion market, followed by an executive summary as well. This is followed by a comprehensive segmentation analysis of the polymer dispersion market, and an analysis of the growth forecast and geographical outlook.
TMR’s report on the polymer dispersion market was done in 5 stages: proposal and market segmentation, market analysis, market sizing and forecasting, data validation, and report launch. The first step is the technical analysis and the segmentation of the polymer dispersion market. This is followed by the market analysis and forecasting, which is essentially understanding the scope and opportunity of the market, while also getting insights into the trends and key players of the polymer dispersion market.
The third step is market sizing and forecasting, which includes market estimation, forecasting, and the value addition of the market. The fourth step is data validation and feedback, which is essentially the primary source for research and response analysis. The last step is the launch of the report.
Primary and secondary resources for research of the polymer dispersion market include, but are not limited to, company reports, white papers, and annual reports from companies, and interviews from both, the supply and demand side of the polymer dispersion market.
This detailed report on the polymer dispersion market provides a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape based on extensive scrutiny and analysis of the various possibilities of the polymer dispersion market. Analysts’ conclusions on the manner of growth of the polymer dispersion market are based on qualitative insights from carefully-vetted sources.