Polymer Additives: Introduction
- Additives are chemicals added to the base polymer to improve process ability, prolong the life span, and/or achieve the desired physical or chemical properties in the final product. While the content of additives is typically only a few percent, their impact on polymer performance and stability is significant. Once the additives are added, the polymer blend is referred as a master batch and is processed accordingly. In other words, polymer additives are chemicals added to polymer matrix to improve the process ability of polymers, enhance the service life of polymer product, or to suit some special end use requirement of the product.
- Additives are minor components that modify the properties of polymer giving it strength, durability, and heat sensitivity. Additives are selected based on the types of polymer or polymer additive applications. This leads to development of value-added products with improved durability as well as other advantages.
- The different types of polymer additives are plasticizers, stabilizers, processing aids, antibacterial additives, anti-static, blowing agents, fillers, coupling agents, desiccants, and color-changing additives, among others. These additives have specific characteristics that meet the demand in the integrated industries. Stabilizers are added to prolong the useful life of a polymer formulation by protecting it from thermal and light-assisted oxidation.
- Anti-scratch, anti-fog, anti-static, mold release, plasticization, slip, torque release, UV protection, and WPC lubrication are important technologies in the polymer additives market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Polymer Additives Market
- Rise in demand for polymer additives in the global market can be attributed to the intrinsic benefits from their use. Polymer additives play a crucial role in various industries, especially automotive, manufacturing, and packaging, wherein the enhancement of properties of the end-use product is an important factor.
- Inexpensive plastic equipment and similar properties of polymer additives to that of metal equipment are projected to drive the global polymer additives market in the next few years
Polymer Additives: Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global polymer additives market can be classified into plasticizers, antioxidants, heat stabilizers, ultraviolet stabilizers, flame retardants, and others
- Plasticizers are the most commonly used polymer additives in the market. The plasticizer segment is anticipated to capture significant market share during the forecast period.
Polymer Additives: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global polymer additives market can be categorized into biopolymers, caps & closures, film production, packaging, injection molding, PVC & vinyl plastisols, automotive plastics, and others
- The packaging segment, followed by the automotive segment, is expected to account for significant share of the global polymer additives market during the forecast period
- The biopolymers segment is likely to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact on Polymer Additives Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and negative impact on the globally integrated industries, including automotive, industrial, and manufacturing, by hampering the production and supply chain significantly. Manufacturing industries came to a complete halt due to lockdown measures adopted by various countries to stop the spread of the deadly disease. This hindered production activities of polymer additives significantly.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Polymer Additives Market
- In terms of region, the global polymer additives market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific, followed by Europe, is projected to be the key market for polymer additives during the forecast period. Increase in demand for polymer additives in the packaging, automotive, and manufacturing industries in China, Japan, and India drives the market in Asia Pacific.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Polymer Additives Market
The global polymer additives market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global polymer additives market include:
- Chemtura Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Bayer AG
- Clariant Ltd.
- Kaneka Corporation
- Lanxess AG
- Zeon Chemicals
- Axel Plastics Research Laboratories, Inc.
- DOW Plastic Additives
Global Polymer Additives Market: Research Scope
Global Polymer Additives Market, by Type
- Heat Stabilizers
- Ultraviolet Stabilizers
- Flame Retardants
Global Polymer Additives Market, by Ingredients
- Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR)
- Ceramic Fiber
- Bisphenol A Diglycidyl Ether
Global Polymer Additives Market, by Technology
- Mold Release
- UV Protection
Global Polymer Additives Market, by Application
- Caps & Closures
- Film Production
- Injection Molding
- PVC & Vinyl Plastisols
- Automotive Plastics
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.