Polyamide-imides are thermosetting polymers that have amorphous properties. They possess excellent chemical resistant properties along with thermal and mechanical properties. These polymers offer excellent performance under harsh chemical and thermal conditions. Based on these properties and benefits the global polyamide-imide (PAI) market is growing substantially these days. Due to these properties the PAIs have extensive application is chemical industry. They are used in manufacturing of outdoors coatings of the paints for walls and vehicles. This application is also a major factor that is boosting the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market.
Some of the other important factor that are fueling the development of Global Polyamide-imide (PAI) Market
- Due to the ability of melt process-ability, the polyamides-imides allow the availability of polyamide-imides (PAIs) in various applications. These widespread applications is one of the major factors boosting the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market. These polymers are used in the manufacturing of fibers, films, coatings, and adhesives. The manufacturing of these products also boosts the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market.
- The various grades available PAI also plays a crucial role in the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market. The use of each grade depends upon the nature of the application. There are several manufacturers that provides wide range of blends of PAIs. These diversity also attracts several customers for the business supporting the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market.
- PAIs are also used in the manufacturing of resins. They provide strength, durability and the stability to the structure. The resin manufacturing is also a major drivers that supports the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market. Also, there PAIs available in the market that have strong carbon fiber blended in them. These PAIs are extensively used coating airplanes providing them the required strength. This is also key factor that drives the growth of global polyamide-imide (PAI) market.
Polyamide-imide (PAI) Market: Overview
Polyamide-imides (PAIs) are thermoplastic or thermosetting polymers that are amorphous in nature. These polymers possess excellent chemical resistance and thermal and mechanical properties. PAIs are able to provide optimum performance under severe chemical and thermal environments. They also possess resistance to a majority of chemicals. The performance of these properties are still functional under stressful conditions, with polymers exhibiting little to no chemical degradation, wear, and creep. These characteristics make them a primary choice in applications that require low friction, very high stiffness, and mechanical strength. Owing to their superior performance characteristics, PAIs are also used in applications requiring resistance to corrosion, wear and tear, and high temperatures.
The most common methods employed for commercial production of PAIs are the acid chloride route and the isocyanate route. PAIs are synthesized in N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) from trimellic acid-anhydride (TMA) and isocyanates. PAIs exhibit a blend of characteristics of both polyamides and polyimides such as excellent high heat capability, high chemical resistance, melt process-ability, and high strength. They are not affected by almost any of the aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons as well as fluorinated and chlorinated solvents.
Polyamide-imide (PAI) Market: Drivers & Restraints
PAIs are available in different grades that are used in different applications. Some of the polyamide-imides (PAIs) grades are also able to resist concentrated acids (30%) including sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, and phosphoric acid. However, their integrity can be affected by hydrofluoric acid and strong bases such as sodium hydroxide.
Melt process-ability of polyamide-imides (PAIs) enables their availability in a wide range of forms. PAIs are available in forms ranging from compression- or injection-molded ingots and parts to fibers, films, coatings, and adhesives. They are widely employed as wire coatings in the manufacture of magnet wires. They can also be used as substitutes for metal and other high-performance materials and, in some instances, for structural applications.
Polyamide-imide (PAI) Market: Key Segments
Different manufacturers offer different grades of PAIs, some of them being their proprietary blends. Manufacturing companies such as Solvay SA, Toyobo, and Quadrant group (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) offer their polyamide-imides (PAIs) under the trademarks Torlon, Vylomax, and Duratron. PAIs were first introduced and developed by Amoco in order to enhance the process-ability of imides by creating amide bonds.
Different grades of polyamide-imides (PAIs) are available in the market based on the value additions in the composition of the resin in order to introduce or enhance certain high-performance characteristics. Some polyamide-imides (PAIs) grades contain 30% fiberglass reinforced in them, while others may contain graphite, carbon fiber, and PTFE in their composition, either individually or in combination. For instance, PAIs are available with 30% graphite, or 12% graphite with 3% PTFE, or 7% graphite with 8% PTFE, and 15% carbon fiber in their composition.
Polyamide-imides (PAIs) resins with no modifications are also available in the market as unfilled grades. These unfilled grades have the maximum impact resistance (toughness), whereas filled grades have higher strength and lower creep. Grades containing carbon fiber reinforcement possess excellent fatigue properties and they retain their stiffness even at elevated temperatures. Addition of PTFE to PAIs further improves their wear resistance.
Polyamide-imides (PAIs) are most preferred in applications wherein high performance is required, as they are quite expensive than other materials. Polyamide-imides (PAIs) also require, in certain applications, post-curing in order to utilize their characteristics such as high resistance to wear and chemicals. Although polyamide-imides (PAIs) have high glass transition temperature, they are required to be cross-linked in order to employ them in applications above their glass transition temperature.
Based on application, the polyamide-imides (PAIs) market can be segmented into molding resins, wire enamels, coatings, fibers, and others. PAIs are often preferred in applications wherein high mechanical strength, exceptional chemical properties, and low creep and fatigue are required. Most common applications of polyamide-imides (PAIs) comprise machined or molded parts that are used in aerospace and automotive industries. PAIs are used as molding resins for components such as gears, seals, pistons, bushings, thrust washers, and non-lubricating bearings. They are also employed in the production of magnetic wire enamels, which are used in high-performance industrial applications such as corrosion-resistant coatings and heavy-duty motors.
Polyamide-imide (PAI) Market: Key Players
Key players operating in the polyamide-imides (PAIs) market include Solvay SA, Aetna Plastics, Quadrant group (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation), Ensinger Special Polymers Inc., Innotek Technology (China) Ltd., KERMEL, and Fujifilm Corporation.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.