Piezoelectric Smart Materials: Introduction
- Piezoelectric materials are considered smart materials, as these materials can transduce the mechanical pressure acting on it to the electrical signals (called direct piezoelectric effect) and electrical signals to mechanical signals (called converse piezoelectric effect). The basic requirement of material to exhibit piezoelectricity depends on its crystal lattice structure and the lack of a center of symmetry.
- Piezoelectric smart materials are used in a wide range of electronic applications such as transducers, actuators and sensors. Piezoelectric materials are also extensively employed in tissue engineering as electroactive scaffolds for tissue repair and regeneration. They can deliver variable electrical stimulus without an external power source. The electrical stimulation resulting from piezoelectric scaffold can regenerate and repair tissues by definite pathways. Piezoelectric scaffolds with optimized properties can produce suitable bioelectrical signals, similar to the natural extracellular matrix (ECM), which is observed during the remodeling phenomenon in bone and cartilage.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market
- Piezoelectric smart materials are majorly used in sensors and actuators. Demand for piezoelectric smart materials is rising in the health care industry owing to their alluring properties. Increase in usage of piezoelectric smart materials to design medical devices and provide greater understanding of the piezoelectric effect in the medical industry is driving the market. Piezoelectric smart materials such as sensors and actuators are used in medical devices that can transform the flow rate and pressure to generate or consume energy. This is expected to drive the global piezoelectric smart materials market during the forecast period.
- Rise in demand for piezoelectric smart materials in the aerospace & defense industry is expected to create significant opportunities for the piezoelectric smart materials market in the near future. In the aerospace sector, piezoelectric smart materials help guide and maintain air flow across aircraft wings during take-off and landing. Additionally, they are widely used as smart sensors, smart combat suits, smart nano-robotics, and smart skins in the military & defense sector. These materials are also known to resolve common aircraft complications, such as engine vibration, wing ice formation, high cabin noise levels, and turbulence separation in cold conditions.
Piezoelectric Smart Materials: Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global piezoelectric smart materials market can be divided into ceramics, polymers, composites, and crystals
- The polymers segment is projected to hold major share of the global piezoelectric smart materials market during the forecast period. Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) and pure thermoplastic fluoropolymers are generally the selected materials among piezoelectric smart materials due to their low cost, highly non-reactive properties, pressure super-sensitivity, and compliance with government regulations such as hazardous substance restriction for materials.
- The composites segment is projected to follow the polymers segment during the forecast period. The composite type of piezoelectric smart materials possesses various advantages such as high coupling factor, low acoustic impedance, strong water or human tissue matching, mechanical stability, and wide bandwidth. Thus, they are widely used in many end-use industries such as health care, aerospace & defense, electronics, and automotive.
Piezoelectric Smart Materials: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global piezoelectric smart materials market can be segmented into motors, sensors, transducers, actuators, transformers, fuel injectors, and others
- The sensors segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Piezoelectric sensor is a device that uses the piezoelectric effect to monitor changes in friction, acceleration, temperature, strain or force by converting them to an electric charge. Industrial sector employs piezoelectric sensors for a number of uses such as pressure sensors and sonar equipment. Also, sensor has a high-power density that enables large amounts of acoustic power to be transmitted from a small package. Additionally, increase in usage of piezoelectric sensor in medical applications is projected to boost the global piezoelectric smart materials market in the next few years.
- The actuators segment is projected to hold key share of the global piezoelectric smart materials market in the near future. Actuators are largely used in the aerospace & defense industry.
COVID-19 Impact on Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the piezoelectric smart materials market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market
- In terms of region, the piezoelectric smart materials market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global piezoelectric smart materials market, followed by North America, and Europe during the forecast period. This can be attributed to growth in applications such as sports, automotive, and aerospace & defense; and expansion in the medical & health care sector in the region. Rise in demand for these in automotive and aerospace & defense industries in emerging economies, such as China, Japan, India, and South Korea, is also anticipated to drive the market during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market
The piezoelectric smart materials market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the piezoelectric smart materials market include:
- APC International Ltd.
- CeramTec GmbH
- CTS Corporation
- KYOCERA Corporation
- PI Ceramic
- Cedrat Technologies SA
- Harris Corporation
- Mide Technology
Piezoelectric Smart Materials: Research Scope
Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market, by Type
Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market, by Application
- Fuel Injectors
Global Piezoelectric Smart Materials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.