- Phosphogypsum, also called calcium sulfate hydrate, is formed as a by-product during the production of fertilizer from phosphate rock. Phosphogypsum is a side-product obtained from the production of phosphoric acid by treating phosphate ore (apatite) with sulfuric acid. It is primarily composed of gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O). Gypsum is a widely used material in the building & construction industry; however, phosphogypsum is usually not utilized in building construction.
Key Drivers of Global Phosphogypsum Market
- The market for phosphogypsum is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. Expansion of the infrastructure sector is expected to drive the demand for phosphogypsum.
- Significant demand for phosphogypsum from diverse industries such as agriculture and infrastructure construction is expected to fuel the market during the forecast period
- Phosphogypsum is employed in agriculture for soil amendment, or as fertilizer, as well as in the brick and cement industry and in road construction
- Rapid infrastructural developments is estimated to boost the consumption of phosphogypsum at a rapid pace across the globe in the near future. Furthermore, the sources of natural gypsum are limited, and the production of natural gypsum has reduced. Consequently, cement makers across the world are considering the utilization of by-product phosphogypsum as a suitable substitute in order to cater to the rising demand.
Road Construction Application Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Based on application, the road construction segment accounted for a major share of the phosphogypsum market. Rise in demand for construction materials, increased number of roads and other infrastructure construction activities, and investment in infrastructure construction are key factors that are estimated to drive the demand for phosphogypsum during the forecast period.
- Phosphogypsum discharged into the sea, watercourses, or in wilderness stocks, contains toxic elements including heavy metals and radionuclides, which are harmful to ecosystems and human health, and hence, there are concerns about its environmental impact. Therefore, phosphogypsum is utilized in various applications including public infrastructures and agriculture applications.
Availability of Various Substitutes to Hamper Global Market
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency has banned a majority of applications of phosphogypsum with having a 226Ra concentration of greater than 10 picocurie/gram (0.4 Bq/g). Consequently, phosphogypsum that exceeds this specific limit is stored in large stacks.
- However, The United States Environmental Protection Agency approved the use of phosphogypsum for road construction in 2020, mentioning that the approval has been granted at the request of The Fertilizer Institute, which advocates for the fertilizer industry. Environmentalists opposed the decision, saying that using the radioactive material in this way can pose health risks.
Covid-19 Impact on Phosphogypsum Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has led to interruption of various manufacturing facilities, disruption of the supply chain, and reduced demand for products from construction and other industries. Therefore, the demand for phosphogypsum is anticipated to decline in several end-use industries in 2020 and 2021.
- Demand for phosphogypsum has been declining owing to reduced manufacturing output and delayed expansion projects across the globe owing to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a rise in the demand from the agriculture industry is driving the market for phosphogypsum
North America to Hold Significant Share of Global Phosphogypsum Market
- In terms of region, the global phosphogypsum market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to hold a notable share for the global phosphogypsum market during the forecast period. Acceptance of phosphogypsum for use in road construction and fertilizers along with expansion of the construction sector in the region is projected to propel the demand for phosphogypsum in North America.
- Asia Pacific is projected to dominate the global phosphogypsum market during the forecast period. Demand for phosphogypsum is estimated to rise owing to its extensive use in road construction, cover for landfills, and as soil conditioner applications in the region. The well-established infrastructure and construction industry in Asia Pacific is offering significant opportunities for the phosphogypsum market.
Key Players Operating in the Market
The global phosphogypsum market is fragmented with several small domestic players operating in at country or regional level. Key players operating in the global phosphogypsum market include:
- Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited (IFFCO)
- Paradeep Phosphates Limited (PPL)
- Coromandel International
- Hindalco Industries Limited (HIL)
- Fertilisers and Chemicals Travancore Limited (FACT)
- Greenstar Fertilizers
- Gujarat State Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd. (GSFC)
- IRC Agrochemicals Private Limited
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers (RCF)
Global Phosphogypsum Market: Research Scope
Global Phosphogypsum Market, by Application
- Artificial Reefs and Oyster Beds
- Cover for Landfills
- Road Construction
- Roof Tiles
- Soil Conditioner
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.