Petroleum Jelly Market: Introduction
- Petroleum jelly is also known as mineral jelly or petrolatum, as it contains mixture of mineral waxes and oils. Petroleum jelly was discovered in 1859 on an oil rig.
- Petroleum jelly has a variety of applications ranging from metal protection and lubrication of machinery in the food & beverages industry to pharmaceutical applications as a component of ointments and barrier creams
- Petroleum jelly is odorless and inert. It has excellent hydrating characteristics and hence, it is employed in various industries such as pharmaceutical, paints, cosmetics, and telecommunications.
To obtain all-inclusive information on forecast analysis of global Petroleum Jelly Market, request a Report Brochure here.
Key Drivers of Global Petroleum Jelly Market
- Increase in the demand for pharmaceutical and cosmetic products is expected to drive the global petroleum jelly market in the near future. Petroleum jelly forms a sealing barrier on dry and damaged skin, which locks the moisture and helps in speeding up natural recovery process of the skin. This generates high demand for petroleum jelly in pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries.
- Petroleum jelly is an excellent anti-rusting agent and water repellant. It is odorless and inert. These properties of petroleum jelly is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. Since industries such as marine, leather, telecommunications, and manufacturing require petroleum jelly for several applications wherein rusting or water can cause severe damage to equipment and operations. Thus, use of petroleum jelly helps these industries to overcome challenges in an efficient manner.
Restraints of Global Petroleum Jelly Market
- Increase in the demand for natural pharmaceutical and cosmetic products across the world can be one of the major restraints of the global petroleum jelly market, due to increase in awareness about natural products and rise in the purchasing power of customers. Availability of substitutes for petroleum jelly with natural ingredients can be another restraint of the market.
Global Petroleum Jelly Market: Segmentation
- The global petroleum jelly market can be segmented in terms of grade and end-user industry
- Based on grade, the global market can be segmented into pharmaceutical grade, cosmetic grade, and industrial grade. The pharmaceutical grade segment dominated the global market, in terms of market share, in 2018. The segment is projected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period, owing to rise in the demand for pharmaceutical-grade petroleum jelly in the pharmaceutical industry.
- In terms of end-user industry, the global petroleum jelly market can be classified into pharmaceutical, cosmetics & personal care, shipping, leather, telecommunications, and others. Among these, the pharmaceutical segment is projected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. Petroleum jelly is chemically inert, due to which it does not react with chemicals in pharmaceutical products. Owing to this property, it is largely used in the pharmaceutical industry. This drives the pharmaceutical segment of the global market.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Petroleum Jelly Market here
Global Petroleum Jelly Market: Regional Segmentation
- Based on region, the global petroleum jelly market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global petroleum jelly market in 2018. The market in the region is expected to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period, as countries such as China, Japan, and India witness high demand for petroleum-jelly-based pharmaceutical and cosmetic products.
- North America is projected to make substantial contributions toward the growth of the overall market for petroleum jelly in the near future. Being one of the largest manufacturers of pharmaceutical and cosmetic products across the globe, the U.S. is expected to lead the North America petroleum jelly market during the forecast period.
- The market in Europe is expected to expand at a steady CAGR during the forecast period. France and Germany are leading producers of cosmetic products in the region and are expected to lead the market in Europe during the forecast period.
- In 2019, Godrej Consumer Products Limited acquired a majority stake in Canon Chemicals. Canon Chemicals is a major manufacturer and distributor of personal care and home care products based in Kenya. Its major brand for petroleum jelly is Valon.
- In February 2019, Holly Frontier Corporation acquired Sonneborn, a leading manufacturer and distributor of petroleum-jelly-based products in the Netherlands
- Brenntag AG, a Germany-based multinational chemical distribution company, acquired a major stake in Raj Petro in January 2018. Raj Petro is one of the leading manufacturers of petroleum jelly in the world.
Key Players Operating in Global Petroleum Jelly Market:
- Sonneborn LLC
- Raj Petro
- Eastern Petroleum
- Persia Paraffin
- Sovereign Chemicals & Cosmetics
- Unisynth Group
- Shimi Taghtiran Company
- ARK?MYA Her Hakk? Sakl?d?r
Global Petroleum Jelly Market: Research Scope
Global Petroleum Jelly Market, by Grade
- Pharmaceutical Grade
- Cosmetic Grade
- Industrial Grade
Global Petroleum Jelly Market, by End-user Industry
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.