Paving a way between oil well and reservoir, perforation is a process that is used to begin the production process using perforated guns. These guns area mainly used in overbalanced perforation where its pressure is higher than that of the reservoir, restricting the flow after the process is completed. However, as mud flows into the oil reservoir, formation is impacted negatively.
It is worth noting here that a variety of guns are available in the market, based on size of borewell. Another factor that they are based on is tolerance to equipment.
Some of the significant details marking the global perforating guns market over the forecast period of 2017 to 2025 are:
- Increase in exploration and production activities. Some of the hotbeds include the Mediterranean region and Latin America where sizeable discoveries have been made over the past year. Besides, worldwide, the BOE figures in terms of discovery have been impressive. As need for energy increases, the demand for oil and gas would increase further, leading to higher levels of exploration and production activities, driving the global perforated guns market
- Shale gas exploration initiatives in the North American region is leading the global perforated guns market to further growth, Additionally, it is worth noting that the region will account for a significant market share over the forecast period with several projects of drilling – offshore – beginning. The region is also set to witness massive investments in this sector over the assessment period
- As world population grows, demand for oil and gas would increase in tandem. By the year 2050, 2 billion more people will make the planet their home, drawing on its scarce resources, propelling the oil and gas market players to go for exploration and productions, helping the perforated guns market chart a higher growth curve.
Perforation is a process used to connect a path between the reservoir and the oil well. Perforating gun is a system or device used to perforate oil and gas wells in order to commence oil & gas production. Currently, there are two types of well perforation: overbalanced perforation and underbalance perforation. Perforating guns are used in overbalanced perforation. The pressure in the well-bore column in overbalanced perforation is more than the reservoir pressure. This helps stop the oil or gas flow immediately after perforation. However, some disadvantages occur due to the forced entry of mud into the reservoir, thus damaging the formation.
Various perforation guns are available in the market. These differ in parameters such as conveyance, size, and configuration. Furthermore, the inner diameter of the gun used is typically determined by considering the wellbore area and its tolerance to the surface equipment. After drilling and casing, the next phase in completion is perforation. Proper perforation requires precise selection of perforating guns that do not damage the surroundings and result in excess debris. Thus, the primary objective of a perforating gun is to form a flow path between a cased well-bore and an oil reservoir.
Most perforating guns punch holes from “0.22-0.25” to “0.70-0.75” in diameter. Typical perforating guns have penetrations of “4-6” up to “45-48” in length. Most perforating guns shoot from 3 to 13 shots per foot. Perforating guns are available in different pressure and temperature ranges. When detonated, perforating guns go off instantaneously. The leading tip of the jet has a velocity of 25,000 ft/sec to 30,000 ft/sec. The impact pressure is approximately 8-10 million psi to 10-15 million psi. This pressure overcomes casing and formation strength and forces material radially away from the jet axis. Precise selection of explosive is done prior to oil & gas well perforation.
Rise in oil and gas E&P activities, increase in average well depth over the years, growth in complexity of reservoir conditions, and rise in shale gas exploration are the major factors driving the perforating guns market.
Based on gun type, the perforating guns market can be segmented into expendable gun, semi-expendable gun, and retrievable or hollow carrier gun. In an expendable gun, all components of the gun below the collar are destroyed during the perforation explosion. A semi-expendable gun has a metal bar that holds the explosives/charges. Retrievable or hollow carrier is the most widely used gun, as it is highly reliable and leaves no debris in the hole. In terms of method of conveyance, the market can be divided into wireline and tubing. Majority of the perforating work is carried out with shaped charge or jet perforating charges. Based on explosive type, the market can be segregated into RDX (Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine), HMX (Cyclotetramethylene Trinitramine), HNS (Hexanitrosilbene), and others. Based on drilling type, the perforating guns market can be bifurcated into horizontal and vertical drilling. Several companies operate in the perforating guns market. These companies usually enter into short-term or long-term contracts with upstream oil & gas firms.
Currently, North America accounts for major share of the global perforating guns market, owing to the rise in shale gas exploration activities and commencement of several offshore drilling activities in the region. E&P activities (onshore and offshore) have triggered investments in the perforating guns business across the globe. Increase in demand for energy in Asia Pacific, especially in China and India, is anticipated to propel the demand for perforating guns through the commencement of planned exploration and production of oil & gas wells.
Key manufacturers and suppliers of perforating guns include Hunting, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Weatherford International, and Halliburton.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.