Paving a way between oil well and reservoir, perforation is a process that is used to begin the production process using perforated guns. These guns area mainly used in overbalanced perforation where its pressure is higher than that of the reservoir, restricting the flow after the process is completed. However, as mud flows into the oil reservoir, formation is impacted negatively.
It is worth noting here that a variety of guns are available in the market, based on size of borewell. Another factor that they are based on is tolerance to equipment.
Some of the significant details marking the global perforating guns market over the forecast period of 2017 to 2025 are:
- Increase in exploration and production activities. Some of the hotbeds include the Mediterranean region and Latin America where sizeable discoveries have been made over the past year. Besides, worldwide, the BOE figures in terms of discovery have been impressive. As need for energy increases, the demand for oil and gas would increase further, leading to higher levels of exploration and production activities, driving the global perforated guns market
- Shale gas exploration initiatives in the North American region is leading the global perforated guns market to further growth, Additionally, it is worth noting that the region will account for a significant market share over the forecast period with several projects of drilling – offshore – beginning. The region is also set to witness massive investments in this sector over the assessment period
- As world population grows, demand for oil and gas would increase in tandem. By the year 2050, 2 billion more people will make the planet their home, drawing on its scarce resources, propelling the oil and gas market players to go for exploration and productions, helping the perforated guns market chart a higher growth curve.
Perforation is a process used to connect a path between the reservoir and the oil well. Perforating gun is a system or device used to perforate oil and gas wells in order to commence oil & gas production. Currently, there are two types of well perforation: overbalanced perforation and underbalance perforation. Perforating guns are used in overbalanced perforation. The pressure in the well-bore column in overbalanced perforation is more than the reservoir pressure. This helps stop the oil or gas flow immediately after perforation. However, some disadvantages occur due to the forced entry of mud into the reservoir, thus damaging the formation.
Various perforation guns are available in the market. These differ in parameters such as conveyance, size, and configuration. Furthermore, the inner diameter of the gun used is typically determined by considering the wellbore area and its tolerance to the surface equipment. After drilling and casing, the next phase in completion is perforation. Proper perforation requires precise selection of perforating guns that do not damage the surroundings and result in excess debris. Thus, the primary objective of a perforating gun is to form a flow path between a cased well-bore and an oil reservoir.
Most perforating guns punch holes from “0.22-0.25” to “0.70-0.75” in diameter. Typical perforating guns have penetrations of “4-6” up to “45-48” in length. Most perforating guns shoot from 3 to 13 shots per foot. Perforating guns are available in different pressure and temperature ranges. When detonated, perforating guns go off instantaneously. The leading tip of the jet has a velocity of 25,000 ft/sec to 30,000 ft/sec. The impact pressure is approximately 8-10 million psi to 10-15 million psi. This pressure overcomes casing and formation strength and forces material radially away from the jet axis. Precise selection of explosive is done prior to oil & gas well perforation.
Rise in oil and gas E&P activities, increase in average well depth over the years, growth in complexity of reservoir conditions, and rise in shale gas exploration are the major factors driving the perforating guns market.
Based on gun type, the perforating guns market can be segmented into expendable gun, semi-expendable gun, and retrievable or hollow carrier gun. In an expendable gun, all components of the gun below the collar are destroyed during the perforation explosion. A semi-expendable gun has a metal bar that holds the explosives/charges. Retrievable or hollow carrier is the most widely used gun, as it is highly reliable and leaves no debris in the hole. In terms of method of conveyance, the market can be divided into wireline and tubing. Majority of the perforating work is carried out with shaped charge or jet perforating charges. Based on explosive type, the market can be segregated into RDX (Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine), HMX (Cyclotetramethylene Trinitramine), HNS (Hexanitrosilbene), and others. Based on drilling type, the perforating guns market can be bifurcated into horizontal and vertical drilling. Several companies operate in the perforating guns market. These companies usually enter into short-term or long-term contracts with upstream oil & gas firms.
Currently, North America accounts for major share of the global perforating guns market, owing to the rise in shale gas exploration activities and commencement of several offshore drilling activities in the region. E&P activities (onshore and offshore) have triggered investments in the perforating guns business across the globe. Increase in demand for energy in Asia Pacific, especially in China and India, is anticipated to propel the demand for perforating guns through the commencement of planned exploration and production of oil & gas wells.
Key manufacturers and suppliers of perforating guns include Hunting, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Weatherford International, and Halliburton.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.