Global Packaging Barrier Films Market: Overview
Over the last decade or so, rigid packaging formats have given way to flexible packaging and barrier films owing to various technology and consumer trends. Packaging barrier films are flexible films used mostly as suitable substitutes for food packaging. These films reduce the need for preservatives, serve as a printing substrate, and increase the shelf life of the product. Despite being costlier than conventional packaging solutions, packaging barrier films have been witnessing increased demand, especially from the food and beverages sector, owing to their ability to prevent oxygenation and thereby stop the degradation of contents.
The global market for packaging barrier films covers four main regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Rest of the World. The key technologies used in packaging barrier films include multi-layer films, polymer nanocomposites, sustainable barrier coatings, organically modified ceramics (ORMOCERs), Besela barrier films, and melamine-based barrier coatings. The key product types of packaging barrier films are stand-up pouches, bags and pouches, forming webs, tray lidding film, blister packs, and wrapping films. The leading applications of packaging barrier films include retort convenience foods, fresh foods, processed chilled foods, dried foods, cheese, snacks and confectionaries, drinks, baked goods, personal care and cosmetics, and medicines and pharmaceuticals.
The materials used in packaging barrier films include polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC), linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE), aluminium oxide (AlOx), ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH), transparent high-barrier films, silicon oxide (SiOx), cast polypropylene (CPP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), organic liquid coatings, cyclic olefin copolymer (COC), biaxially oriented polyamide (BOPA), high-barrier coatings, metalized films, polyacrylonitrile (PAN), inorganic vapor deposition high-barrier coatings, polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH), low-density polyethylene (LDPE), polychlorotrifluoroethylene (PCTFE), biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP), and biaxially oriented polyethylene terephthalate (BoPET).
Global Packaging Barrier Films Market: Key Trends and Opportunities
One of the most significant factors driving the global packaging barrier films market is the surging demand for packaging materials that can lend improved protection to their contents. This is noticeable especially in the pharmaceutical and food and beverages industries. Growing concerns regarding the ability of plastics to allow the exchange of vapors and gases that threaten to compromise the safety and quality of packaged products have also had a tremendous impact on the packaging barrier films market. The market for stand-up pouches is driven by not just their replacement of glass and plastic bottles and cans but also due to their ability to minimize packaging costs and, at the same time, providing better convenience to consumers. Moreover, stand-up pouches have lower material use and are lighter than conventional rigid containers. Another factor contributing toward the demand for packaging barrier films is the busy lifestyle of consumers and a consequent demand for convenient products and microwave cooking. This trend has resulted in the demand for ready-to-eat meals packed in stand-up pouches and trays. The packaging barrier films market also benefits from the rising share of large retail chains in economically developed countries.
In contrast, the packaging barrier films market is restricted by factors such as recycling problems, susceptibility to degradation, and increased costs. Mechanical recycling is a problem that continues to hamper the growth of the market since a number of multilayered packaging barrier film structures contain more than one type of plastic.
Global Packaging Barrier Films Market: Region-wise Outlook
Among the four regional segments, Europe dominates the worldwide market for packaging barrier films both in terms of production and demand. Asia Pacific and South America present lucrative opportunities for growth owing to the spread of domestic hypermarkets and supermarkets in several major cities. A number of large international retail chains have been setting up shop in the developing countries of Asia, Eastern and Central Europe, and South America, which have been dominated traditionally by local and independent artisan stores.
Some of the most prominent players competing in the global packaging barrier films market are Shako Flexipack, Sealed Air, Krehalon UK, Amcor, Prairie State Group, American Pouch, Oliver-Tolas Healthcare Packaging, BERNHARDT Packaging & Process, Bemis, HPM Global, The Vacuum Pouch, Flair Flexible Packaging Corporation, and ClearBags.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.