- Xylenes are petrochemicals produced by catalytic reforming and coal carbonization processes. They are used in the manufacture of coke fuel. They are used in various industries and medical technologies as solvents. Xylenes occur naturally in coal and wood tar, among others. Xylenes are primarily produced as a part of aromatics that are rich in BTX. They are derived from various sources in a refinery, including pyrolysis gasoline, toluene disproportionation, and reformate. Reformate accounts for 75% share of the mixed xylenes. There are three types of xylenes: ortho-xylene, meta-xylene, and para-xylene.
- Ortho-xylene is a commercial isomer of xylene. It is a hydrocarbon based on benzene, with two methyl substituents bonded to the aromatic ring. Ortho-xylene exists in liquid state at room temperature. It is used extensively for producing Phthalic Anhydride (PAN), primarily in dio-octyl phthalate for PVC. PAN is primarily used to produce plasticizers, which are largely employed in automobile and construction industries. Additionally, ortho-xylene is used in solvent-based paints. It is extracted through distillation from xylene stream in a plant designed for para-xylene production. It is a constitutional isomer of m-xylene and p-xylene. Ortho-xylene is produced with its isomers para-xylene and meta-xylene. Friedel-Crafts alkylation of toluene yields a mixture of ortho-xylene. This reaction produces a pure form of ortho-xylene. Ortho-xylene is used in alkyd resins that are used in a wide range of applications in the coating industry. Demand for ortho-xylene is high in the petrochemical industry.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Ortho-xylene Market
- Growth of the construction industry and development in the automobile industry are expected to drive the demand for ortho-xylene during the forecast period. Additionally, expansion of the paints and adhesive industry is anticipated to fuel the demand for ortho-xylene during the next few years. However, acute inhalation or exposure to ortho-xylene in humans causes irritation to eyes. It also carries neurological effects. Furthermore, chronic exposure to ortho-xylenes affects the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and kidneys. Ortho-xylene reacts violently with oxidants, causing fire and explosion hazards. Thus, governments of various countries have imposed stringent regulations on the usage of ortho-xylene. This likely to hamper the ortho-xylene market in the near future.
- Prices of xylene are anticipated to decline in Asia due to the weak downstream conditions in the purified terephthalic acid and paraxylene sectors. Global manufacturing of ortho-xylene and integrated supply chain and access to feedstock are key strengths of companies engaged in the ortho-xylene market.
Ortho-xylene: End-user Segment
- In terms of end-user, the global ortho-xylene market can be segmented into automotive, building & construction, paints & coatings, aerospace & defense, marine, electrical & electronics, agrochemical, oil & gas, chemical, and others
- The building & construction segment accounted for significant share of the global ortho-xylene market in 2020. It is projected to expand at a fast paced CAGR during the forecast period. Rapid growth of the construction industry in Asia Pacific is estimated to drive the market for ortho-xylene during the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact on Ortho-xylene Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The COVID-19 pandemic has severely hampered the construction industry. Ongoing projects have been delayed, while sanctioned projects have been put on hold. This expected to negatively impact the ortho-xylene market, as ortho-xylene is used on a large scale in the building & construction industry.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Ortho-xylene Market
- In terms of region, the global ortho-xylene market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region of the global market during the forecast period due to expansion of the chemical industry and rapid industrialization in the region. China dominated the ortho-xylene market in terms of production in 2020. This trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. Consumption of ortho-xylene in Eastern Europe and Russia is expected to be strong due to the thriving construction industry in these regions.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Ortho-xylene Market
The global ortho-xylene market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. The vendors in the market are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies to expand their product portfolio and geographical reach. Key manufacturers operating in the global ortho-xylene market include:
- Creasyn Finechem (Tianjin) Co., Ltd.
- Doe & Ingalls Inc. (North Carolina)
- DynaChem Inc.
- Minda Petrochemicals (P) Limited
- Shell Chemicals
- Sunoco Chemicals Inc.
- Puritan Products, Inc
Global Ortho-xylene Market: Research Scope
Global Ortho-xylene Market, by End-user
- Building & Construction
- Paints & Coatings
- Aerospace & Defense
- Electrical & Electronics
- Oil & Gas
Global Ortho-xylene Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.