Optical Preclinical Imaging: Introduction
- Optical preclinical imaging is used in live animal research for drug development. Optical preclinical imaging is also used to monitor the treatment response for early indications of efficacy. Technological developments in in vivo imaging provide an opportunity for studying disease at the molecular level in a quantitative way. In vivo imaging acts as a bridge between in vitro exploratory and in vivo clinical research, which facilitates the direct and fast transfer of preclinical studies on animal models to clinical investigation in man. The key disease areas targeted with in vivo preclinical imaging are cancer, autoimmune diseases, neurological disorders, and cardiovascular diseases.
- The health care industry, despite facing significant political and economic uncertainty in the past few years, continues to be dynamic when it comes to funds being diverted to the R&D sector and the introduction of novel & technologically advanced medical devices, medical imaging equipment, and pharmaceutical & biopharmaceutical products. This has necessitated the development of preclinical imaging and new varieties of in vivo preclinical imaging for testing new approaches for elucidating disease progression, disease etiology, and metastasis & progression of tumors.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market
- Biomedical research has taken a front seat in the health care and pharmaceutical industries to a point where a nation’s research and development landscape can be gauged by its level of investment in biomedical research. The past decade has consequently witnessed a staggering rise in biomedical research in most countries, both developed and developing. A significant part of this research investment generally goes into animal models. This acts as a primary driver of the global optical preclinical imaging market.
- Increase in usage of optical preclinical imaging is also attributed to the recent number of improvements that have been made in optical preclinical imaging technology. These improvements have not only enhanced its utility in current applications, but also increased the overall scope of applications for preclinical imaging.
- Other factors likely to drive the global preclinical imaging market are increase in demand for non-invasive imaging techniques and government funding for research & development activities. However, the growth of the global preclinical imaging market is projected to be hampered by factors such as high product price that decreases the adoption rates in academic institutions and limited number of applications of each modality, discouraging the sale of products.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market
- In terms of region, the global optical preclinical imaging market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global optical preclinical imaging market in 2019 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period due to well-established pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical research industry. Presence of the world’s leading pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies in the region also makes it a highly promising market for various products employed in research activities. Europe held significant share of the global optical preclinical imaging market in 2019 owing to well-established medicine manufacturing sector and the presence of the world’s most prominent research laboratories and research-oriented universities.
Key Players Operating in Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market
The global optical preclinical imaging market is fragmented, with presence of large number of small-scale and large-scale companies.
Leading companies operating in the global optical preclinical imaging market are:
- Bruker Corporation
- MR Solutions
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- TriFoil Imaging
- FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation
- Mediso Ltd.
- Miltenyi Biotec
- Vieworks Co., Ltd.
- MILabs B.V.
Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market: Research Scope
Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market, by Modality
- Bioluminescence/Fluorescence Imaging Systems
- Standalone Fluorescence Imaging Systems
- Optical + X-Ray/Optical + CT
Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market, by Reagent
- Bioluminescent Imaging Reagents
- Fluorescent Imaging Reagents
Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market, by Application
- Research & Development
- Drug Discovery
Global Optical Preclinical Imaging Market, by End-user
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Biotech Companies
- Research Institutes