Oil Spill Dispersants: Introduction
- Oil spill accidents are common and significant threat to aquatic life and the marine environment. Dispersants are chemical agents (similar to detergents) used to breakdown the layer of oil into small particles and dilute the oil slick to mix with water. In other words, oil spill dispersants are liquids that are sprayed on spilled oil on the sea to disperse the oil into the water column. Dispersants have lipophilic and hydrophilic ends, which have an affinity for oil and water. Oil droplets disperse with wave energy, then repel each other, and usually do not coalesce.
- Corexit 9500 is a dispersant that is widely used in the deepwater horizon spills. Accidental spills can also occur beneath the sea surface due to blow out of oil exploration wells such as BP Gulf of Mexico disaster in 2010 caused by pipeline ruptures and shipwrecks. Oil leaking from a pressurized underwater does not easily come to the surface. This leads to exposure of harmful contaminants to plankton.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market
- Global oil spills are expected to increase in the near future. Therefore, it is necessary to reduce the after-effects of oil spills on the environment.
- Two large spills were recorded in 2017. The first large spill occurred in June when a tanker sank in the Indian Ocean with over 5000 tons of oil on board. The second incident involved the sinking of a tanker off the coast of Greece in September. It spilled about 700 tons of oil. These incidents have led to an increase in demand for efficient dispersants.
- Various regulations and prior permissions need to be sought before using dispersants on spilled oil on water. Use of dispersants on spilled oil in water depths of 20 meters is only allowed after the permission has been granted. Implementation of rigid regulations and lack of efficient dispersants are anticipated to restrain the market during the forecast period.
Oil Spill Dispersants: Type Segment
- Based on type, the oil spill dispersants market can be segmented into surfactants and solvents. Surfactants are the largely used oil spill dispersants owing to effective dilution of oil through water.
- Dispersants enable surface active chemistry in aqueous dispersion. However, additional surfactants are widely used and known to significantly impact the dispersion process as well as the formulation performance.
COVID-19 Impact on Oil Spill Dispersants Market
- Since the beginning of 2020, the global economy has been experiencing downturn due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. The Covid-19 pandemic is anticipated to significant impact the production and distribution of oil spill dispersants.
- Governments of several countries have imposed strict lockdowns to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many manufacturing companies are either shut down or running low on production capacity.
- Decrease in industrial activities due to the pandemic has been adversely impacting the global oil spill dispersants market
Europe Holds Major Share of Oil Spill Dispersants Market
- In terms of region, the global oil spill dispersants market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe accounted for dominant share of the global oil spill dispersants market in 2020. The market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period. Increase in demand for oil spill dispersants in Europe can be ascribed to the rapidly growing sea-based transportation and business.
- In terms of value and volume, the market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to huge oil spills in the East China Sea. China and Japan are key countries of the market in the region due to high number of oil spills that require the use of oil spill dispersants.
- North America is an emerging region of the global oil spill dispersants market. Expansion of the market in the region can be ascribed to the presence of numerous manufacturers in the region. The U.S. is a major country of the oil spill dispersants market in North America.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market
The global oil spill dispersants market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global oil spill dispersants market include:
- Canadyne Technologies Inc
- SAF-RON INTERNATIONAL
- Oil Spill Response Limited (OSRL)
- ACME Environmental
- AGMA Limited
- Nalco Environmental Solutions LLC
Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market: Research Scope
Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market, by Type
Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market, by Application
Global Oil Spill Dispersants Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!