Oil and Gas logistics refers to the transportation of drilling equipments, extracted crude oil and natural gas and transportation of refined products from one place to another. Petroleum logistics covers entire phases from upstream to downstream. Oil and gas logistics synchronizes with all kinds of equipments from multiple origins to the areas that are difficult to access with the continual concern for manpower and environment.
With the advent of shale oil boom, significant opportunities are created for the railroads as a means to transport equipment, people and oil. Railroads are being used to haul the special sand called as frac sand, acids, pipes and other chemicals required in the shale extraction process. Once the extraction process is carried out, rail is being used to carry away shale oil and gas and waste products.
Optimum utilization of rail has created a surge in the demand for cars that can carry crude oil. New production sites, which do not have pipeline network utilizes rail cars, for transporting crude oil and natural gas from the exploration site to the refineries. Pipelines are costly and time consuming to build and are often subject to construction delays as it requires numerous permits. Rail car companies are reaping the benefits, experiencing a backlog of orders for petroleum carrying cars and are reporting strong financial results.
Railway has to build additional infrastructure to keep up with demand in some shale producing regions. The Bakken shale field in North Dakota is the best example. In the year 2013, Bakken oil output hit a record of 727,149 barrels per day and majority of the oil was carried out by trains. Rail has become the most favored mode of transport in the area as it is cheaper than trucking and is more flexible than pipeline.
Oil and gas logistics takes place in various phases such as upstream logistics, midstream logistics and downstream logistics. Upstream logistics includes transportation of all the drilling equipments such as drilling rigs, Christmas tree and blowout preventer to the exploration location. Midstream logistics involves transportation of extracted crude oil and natural gas from drilling location to the storage location. Once the crude oil and natural gas has been stored in tanks and terminals, then it is transported through various means to the refinery for further refining processes. Crude oil and natural gas once refined into varied petroleum products, they are transported through pipelines, ships and trucks to the end users. Oil and gas logistics comprises of all the activities such as air and sea chartering, hazardous material handling, customs brokerage, supply order management, purchase order management and offshore supply base management.
Some of the key drivers of the oil and gas logistics market are new discoveries of oil and gas fields and growing economies. However, oversized equipments and remote location of drilling can hamper the growth of the market. Ample opportunities are there for oil and gas logistics market as demand for petroleum products is rising at a healthy rate.
Some of the key players in the business of oil and gas logistics are Gulf Agency Company Ltd, Agility Project Logistics Inc, Kuehne + Nagel Company, BDP International, DB Schenker, Crown Logistics, Neovia Logistics, A.Hartrodt GmbH, SGS Logistics, SDV International Logistics and Bollore Africa Logistics Ltd among others.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.