Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market: Recycling Used Nuclear Fuel can Produce Plentiful Energy for 100 Years
- Nuclear fuel recycling is a process of reprocessing fertile or fissile fuel materials in order to reduce the high-level waste volume
- Fertile U-238 and fissile plutonium are the major fuel materials that are largely being recycled across the globe. For instance, much of the researchers have successfully recycled plutonium from the used fuel and converted it into mixed oxide (MOX) fuel.
- Reprocessing nuclear fuel recovers uranium as reprocessed uranium (Repu) and reprocessed plutonium (Pu), thus, avoiding the wastage of valuable resources
- Manufacturers operating in the nuclear fuel recycling market are developing new reprocessing technologies to be deployed in conjunction with fast neutron reactors. The new reprocessing technology is expected to burn long-lived actinides comprising uranium and plutonium, without separating them from one another.
- There are various recycling technologies for recycling the nuclear fuel such as PUREX, COEX, NUEX, and THOREX. PUREX is a recycling technology for spent fuel which uses liquid-liquid extraction method for the separation of uranium and plutonium from fission products. The technology is widely adopted by France, Japan, the U.K., India, and Russia.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market? Ask for the report brochure here.
Key Drivers of Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market
- Rise in demand for recycling used nuclear fuel to recover unused plutonium and uranium drives the global nuclear fuel recycling market. Recycling process can contribute to closed fuel cycle, thereby contributing to national energy security.
- Rise in demand for clean fuel and limited availability of naturally-occurring uranium are expected to fuel the demand for nuclear fuel recycling across the globe
- Recycling of nuclear fuel reduces the volume of disposable waste to about one-fifth. It also decreases the level of radioactivity in disposable waste.
- Uranium and plutonium can be recycled as a fresh fuel which aids in 30% reduction in requirement of natural uranium during fission and fusion process
- Uranium (RepU) is one of the valuable elements with a high fertile potential. It is transformed into plutonium-239 during recycling process. All these factors are likely to boost the global nuclear fuel recycling market.
Rise in Demand to Recover Long-lived Actinides to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Increase in interest towards recovering long-lived actinides such as thorium, protactinium, as well as transuranic elements such as neptunium, plutonium, americium, cerium, and californium in order to reduce long-term radioactivity in high-level wastes and increasing proliferation resistance of the fuel cycle is expected to provide lucrative opportunities to the recycle service providers operating in the nuclear fuel recycling market
- Currently, countries such as the U.S., Canada, Belgium, Finland, South Korea, Spain, and Sweden do not allow nuclear waste recycling and following direct disposal methods. Emphasis on preferring recycled nuclear fuel to generate electricity and reducing the use of naturally-occurring uranium are likely to provide lucrative opportunities to the nuclear fuel recycle service providers operating in the market
High Cost of Recycling Nuclear Fuel is Likely to Restrain Market
- Recycling used plutonium as a reactor fuel is an expensive process as compared to uranium fuel. As per the energy department estimate, a recycling plant with annual production capacity of 2000 tons of spent fuel would cost up to US$ 20 Bn which is expected to hamper the market during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market here.
Europe is expected to Hold Major Share in Market
In terms of region, the global nuclear fuel recycling market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- In terms of consumption, Europe is expected to be a key region of the market during the forecast period. France, the U.K. and Russia are leading countries in Europe which have reprocessing facilities. For instance, France recycles spent fuel into mixed oxides from its 58 nuclear plants at Cap de la Hague.
- In Asia Pacific, China, India, Japan, and Pakistan are the leading countries in terms of recycling nuclear fuel
- In North America, 20% of the electricity is generated from nuclear plants and as per the U.S. government policy, most of the spent fuel from these reactors is disposed of in a deep geologic formation which may hinder the market in the region. In addition, other obstructions such as high recycling cost are some of the other factors hampering the market during the forecast period.
- Rising emphasis on minimizing nuclear waste is pushing government to build a nuclear fuel recycling facility in the U.S. For instance, the U.S. government is building a nuclear fuel recycling facility at Savannah River nuclear reservation in South Carolina. This facility is expected to produce mixed-oxide fuel for generating electric power, not from power-plant waste, but from surplus plutonium in the U.S. weapons stockpiles.
- Capacity expansion for uranium enrichment in Latin America and nuclear power plants in Middle East & Africa are expected to provide lucrative opportunities to the nuclear fuel recycling service providers during the forecast period in both the regions.
Key players in market:
Capacity expansion for recycling nuclear fuel is one of the key strategies adopted by top players operating in the market.
Key players operating in the global nuclear fuel recycling market include:
- NUKEM Technologies Engineering Services GmbH
- Japan Nuclear Fuel Limited
- Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc.
- Areva S.A.
- Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Inc.
- JGC CORPORATION
- Advanced Nuclear Fuels
- GNS GesellschaftfürNuklear-Service
- Urenco Group
Global Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market: Research Scope
Global Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market, by Type
- LWR Fuel
- Other Nuclear Fuels
Global Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market, by Material
Global Nuclear Fuel Recycling Market, by Processing Technologies
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.