Nuclear Fuel Mining Market: Introduction
- Nuclear fuel mining is mining of uranium and thorium, which are widely used nuclear fuels found in the earth’s crust. Especially, uranium is used on a large scale and it is found naturally, with an average concentration of 2.8 parts per million (ppm) in the earth's crust.
- Uranium is more abundant than silver, mercury, and gold. Also, large amounts of uranium are found in oceans, with low concentrations.
- In case of nuclear fuel mining, special mining techniques are employed; for example, dust suppression and remote handling. These techniques help protect workers from exposure to radiations and ensure safety of the general public as well as environment.
- According to World Nuclear Association, approximately 10% of the world's electricity is generated by about 440 nuclear power reactors. Also, 50 more reactors are under construction, with their capacity equivalent to approximately 15% of the existing capacity.
Key Drivers of Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market
- Nuclear fuel mining witnesses high demand globally, owing to rising demand for nuclear fuel. Increasing demand for power led by growth in population and industrialization is anticipated to fuel the global nuclear fuel mining market during the forecast period.
- Also, rising demand for clean energy is estimated to boost the demand for nuclear fuel mining in the near future, as nuclear fuel is the world's second-largest source of low-carbon power generation. In 2018, 12 countries worldwide fulfilled at least 25% of their electricity demand from nuclear fuel.
- However, high initial investments, government regulations, and health hazards is estimated to act as a restraining factor for the global nuclear fuel mining market during the forecast period
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
- In October 2019, the Atomic Minerals Directorate (AMD) has found high levels of uranium concentration in groundwater samples across the Lambapur-Peddagattu region, known for large uranium deposits, in Nalgonda district of the Telangana state of India. The Uranium Corporation of India (UCIL) plans to set up an open pit and three underground mines in Telangana.
Europe to Hold a Major Share of Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market
- Based on region, the global nuclear fuel mining market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is anticipated to dominate the global nuclear fuel mining market during the forecast period, as the region has the maximum number of uranium-producing mines. In Kazakhstan, uranium mining is carried at four locations. The country produced around 8,255 tons of uranium in 2018. Also, nuclear power facilities have been developed in Finland, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, and the U.K. this is likely to boost the market for nuclear fuel mining in Europe during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold a considerable share of the global nuclear fuel mining market between 2019 and 2027. Nuclear fuel mining and exploration activities are carried out in China, Bangladesh, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and Thailand. Also, China, India, and Japan are developing their own nuclear power generation capacities.
- North America is anticipated to account for a considerable share of the global nuclear fuel mining market during the forecast period. Moreover, the U.S. is anticipated to be the leading producer of nuclear power in the next few years, accounting for more than 30% share of global nuclear power generation.
- Middle East & Africa and Latin America are estimated to hold a minor share of the global nuclear fuel mining market during the forecast period. In Middle East & Africa, uranium mining is carried out in Niger and Namibia.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market
- Cameco Corp.
- Rio Tinto
- Uranium One
Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market: Research Scope
Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market, by Type
- Open-pit Mining
- Underground Mining
Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market, by Type of Deposits
Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market, by Processing Method
- Conventional Agitation Leach
- Heap Leaching
- In-situ Leach Mining & Recovery
Global Nuclear Fuel Mining Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.