Ophthalmic Packaging Market
Ophthalmic Packaging Market (Dose: Multi-dose and Single-dose; Material Type: Glass and Plastic; and End Use: Over-the-counter [OTC] and Prescription) - North America Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
Rise in Importance of Sterile Packaging of Ophthalmic Products During COVID-19 Outbreak
In order to meet the growing demand for safe, sterile, and secure packaging & delivery of ophthalmic products during the COVID-19 outbreak, manufacturers are adopting innovative packaging formats. Companies in the North America ophthalmic packaging market are making use of highly sophisticated and adaptable aseptic filling lines to address packaging challenges. The diversity in sterile ophthalmic medications is urging packaging companies to make use of aseptic filling lines, since eyes are unquestionably one of the most sensitive and vital organs that can be exposed to coronavirus pathogens.
Sterile packaging of ophthalmic products has become a top priority for manufacturers in the North America ophthalmic packaging market. Stakeholders are aiming for errorless packaging since even the slightest eye irritation increases the risk for coronavirus infection.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Ophthalmic Packaging Market
CDER Regulations, GMP Necessary for Ensuring Product Quality
The North America ophthalmic packaging market is expected to advance at a modest CAGR of 5.6% during the assessment period. However, manufacturers need to comply with stringent regulations as suggested by the FDA’s Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) for ophthalmic drug packaging components. These components demand the protection of the product’s quality, aid in administration, and maintenance of product sterility following initial seal breakage by the patient or consumer.
Manufacturers in the North America ophthalmic packaging market are following guidelines given by the WHO (World Health Organization) for good manufacturing practices (GMP). GMP is required for the appropriate system of quality assurance for the manufacturing of ophthalmic pharmaceutical products.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Advancements in Injection Molding Technology Help Avoid Physical Damage of Products
Apart from regulatory measures, stakeholders in the North America ophthalmic packaging market need to maintain the quality of product components. The quality of ophthalmic pharmaceutical product packaging is highly dependent on correct information and identification, protection against physical damage, and prevent any biological contamination. This is being achieved with the help of increasing their production for multi-dose plastic container closure systems (CCS). CCS is gaining prominence for liquid ophthalmic drug products.
Over seals and other tamper-evident features are being incorporated in ophthalmic pharmaceutical product packaging. LF of America - a provider of turnkey filling and packing solutions is gaining recognition for making advancements in the injection molding technology that increases the safety and flexibility of ophthalmic products.
Multi-dose Preservative-free Eye Droppers Gain Prominence in Complex Primary Packaging
The North America ophthalmic packaging market is expected to reach ~1,047 million units by 2030. Innovations in contract ophthalmic filling are translating into value-grab opportunities for manufacturers. These innovations include R&D for equal API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) delivery in packing and filling solutions and 100% preservative free formula, which help to avoid consumer or patient complaints about burning sensation after use.
Since single-dose sterile single-dose containers are questionable for an environmental point of view, manufacturers in the North America ophthalmic packaging market are developing multi-dose preservative-free eye droppers. These solutions are gaining popularity in complex primary packaging applications with the addition of filters, clip closures, and foams in order to protect the residual solution in vials.
Increased Flow Control in Packaging Complaint with ISO Standards Bolstering Credibility
Customization of standard containers, dropper, and closures is helping companies in the North America ophthalmic packaging market gain a competitive edge over other market players. Impressive designs and sizes in plastic packaging are generating business opportunities for manufacturers. Manufacturers are boosting their output capacities in HDPE (High-density Polyethylene) materials and tamper-evident systems.
Increased flow control, drug compatibility, and barrier properties are being borne in mind before innovating in ophthalmic packaging solutions. Companies in the North America ophthalmic packaging market are adhering to ISO (International Organization for Standardization) guidelines for developing packaging that is manufactured in cleanrooms.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Ophthalmic Packaging Market
Sterilization process qualifications in compliance with ISO standards have become necessary for manufacturers in the North America ophthalmic packaging market during the coronavirus outbreak. In-line camera vision inspection systems are being fitted in cleanrooms to ensure GMP is in place. However, manufacturers need to address filling challenges such as in small plastic containers that are light with a relatively high center of gravity and may lead to an easy fall during the filling process. Hence, companies should incorporate key filling system components including unscrambler and vacuum belts that keep an upright position of small containers during filling operations. Detailed product documentation has become necessary in ophthalmic pharmaceutical product packaging.
North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the North America ophthalmic packaging market for the forecast period of 2020-2030, the market is estimated to grow due to high prevalence of eye disorders, along with the growing demand for brand enhancement and differentiation in ophthalmic packaging
- The North America ophthalmic packaging market is expected to increase 1.8 times of the current market value by the end of 2030. Ophthalmic packaging has become of high importance to protect the formulation from external environment to keep the efficacy of the drug intact to maintain its quality and safety throughout its shelf life, which is likely to augment its sales in the years to come.
Single-dose Eye Drop Packaging an Innovative Alternative to Traditional Ophthalmic Medication Packaging
- Ophthalmic diseases and eye problems require medication, which is mostly stored in multi-dose containers and dropper bottles. Most ophthalmic medications are made using a simple solution; however, the dropper bottles have limitations associated with designs. Major issues for ophthalmic packaging designs have been storage issues and precise dosing.
- Challenges associated with traditional eye drop packaging have led many pharmaceutical companies to launch novel ophthalmic packaging options. They have pursued these alternatives by contracting with packaging and filling companies. Unit-dose packaging overcomes the limitations of traditional ophthalmic medication packaging.
- Cost-effectiveness and durability have made multi-dose packaging a widely accepted choice for ophthalmic packaging. However, long-term storage can lead to the solution being in the dropper for a long time, which might result in chemical interaction with the packaging material. This can corrupt medication, causing irritation, and burning sensation upon application. Furthermore, many ophthalmic medications require exact dosages to be applied in each eye, which is a challenge with multi-dose packaging solutions.
- Thus, single-dose packaging allows overcoming both these challenges without compromising on the quality of the product
Rapid Growth of Generic Drugs to Create Opportunities for Ophthalmic Packaging Market in North America
- The volume of generic drugs is expected to rise significantly, and the TMR team predicts that the forecast average volume growth of 2.5% a year from 2020 to 2024. Rise in the use of digital gadgets, longer exposures to electronic screens, digitalized work spaces, growing burden of diabetes, side effects of other medications, and increasing heat are various reasons, which are expected to create more demand for eye care medication in the future.
- OTC drugs for dry eyes, anti-infective solutions, and saline preparations are highly demanded due to changing lifestyles and easy availability of generic medication. This is expected to boost the demand for ophthalmic packaging for heavily demanded generic drugs.
- Self-medication has further led to a demand for simple and reliable solutions. Ophthalmic packaging with labelling has allowed consumers to easily choose a generic drug for themselves. Information regarding dosage, administration, product details, ingredients, storage, date of manufacture, date of expiry, manufacturer details, and other crucial information related to the product, found printed on the actual ophthalmic product, is extremely important. This provides an opportunity for ophthalmic packaging manufacturers to grow.
North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market: Key Findings
- In terms of market share, the multi-dose segment is expected to remain as most attractive, and is anticipated to account for 79% of the market share during the forecast period. The popularity of multi-dose has been the most in the ophthalmic packaging industry. Manufacturers are moving toward the trend of providing the patient with better product for self-administering purpose.
- Plastic segment is expected to expand 1.7x of its current value by 2030 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period
- Prescription end use segment is widely preferred and frequently used as compared to over-the-counter (OTC) segment. Therefore, prescription end use segment is estimated to hold nearly 2/3rd value share till next decade.
- In terms of market share, the United States is likely to emerge as the dominating region in North America ophthalmic packaging market, owing to the increasing demand from the healthcare industry. The consumption of ophthalmic packaging in the U.S. is expected to reach more than 800 units by the end of 2030.
North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market: Competition Landscape
- TMR analysed that the North America ophthalmic packaging market is highly consolidated, owing to dominance of top players in the market. This competition among key players is carefully studied based on developments, strategies, and segmental revenue of the company.
- The TMR Group includes outlines of key players in the latest ophthalmic packaging market study, which includes
- Schott AG
- Berry Global Inc.
- Nolato AB
- Bormioli Pharma
- Tekni-plex Inc.
- WG Pro-Manufacturing Inc.
- Gerresheimer AG
- West Pharmaceutical Services Inc.
- Aptar Group Inc.
- Amcor Plc.
- TMR distinguished these ophthalmic packaging market players as per their segmental earnings into different tier slabs. Among these players, Berry Global Inc., Gerresheimer AG, Nolato AB, Aptar Pharma, and Amcor PLC are identified as Tier 1 companies. Tier 2 players include West Pharmaceutical Service Inc., SCHOTT North America, Inc., and Bormioli Pharma S.p.A., among other players.
Impact on COVID-19 on Ophthalmic Packaging Market in North America
- The importance of packaging of ophthalmic medication is necessary to ensure quality and regulatory compliance. The COVID-19 pandemic exposed the gaps in supply chains across multiple industries.
- The pandemic impacted operations and led manufacturers focusing on contingency plans to mitigate risks arising due to hindered supply chains. Border controls by the Government led the manufacturers to opt for local raw material suppliers.
- Major trend observed during the pandemic was opting for packaging, which is uncontaminated and sterile. Since ophthalmic medication comes in direct contact with eyes, packaging designs that address hygiene and consumer safety concerns were in demand.
North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research (TMR) started a new study on the North America ophthalmic packaging market, providing forecast for the period of 2020-2030. In the study, growth opportunity for the ophthalmic packaging market is witnessed. The report provides valuable insights, which enable readers to make winning business decisions for future growth of their businesses. The report highlights significant factors that are constantly determining the growth of the ophthalmic packaging market, untapped opportunities for manufacturers, trends and developments, and other insights across various key segments. Macroeconomic factors that are directly or indirectly affecting market growth are also incorporated in the report.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market Report
- What will be the impact of COVID-19 on the ophthalmic packaging market?
- Which end use segment will be most lucrative for ophthalmic packaging?
- What will be market size for ophthalmic packaging by the end of 2030?
- Which is the most preferred material type for ophthalmic packaging in the North America market?
- Which country will remain most lucrative for market growth?
- Which dose holds maximum market share in the North America ophthalmic packaging market?
- Who are major key players in the ophthalmic packaging market?
Key indicators associated with the ophthalmic packaging market have been calculated thoroughly in the report. The study enumerates vital market dynamics such as key drivers, challenges, and trends, along with opportunities in the North America ophthalmic packaging market. A comprehensive study on the value chain, which includes component suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, and end users have been incorporated in the North America market report. Other key aspects laid down in the market include pricing strategy of leading market players and comparative analysis of ophthalmic packaging. Furthermore, forecast factors and forecast scenarios of the ophthalmic packaging market have been covered in the report to understand future prospects of the market.
A comprehensive evaluation and forecast on the ophthalmic packaging market are provided on the basis of dose, material type, end use, and country.
Y-o-Y growth comparison, volume and revenue comparison, and market share comparison of various market segments are provided in the report. The ophthalmic packaging market is analyzed at both regional and country levels.
The report delivers an exhaustive assessment on the structure of the ophthalmic packaging market, in tandem with a dashboard view of all leading company profiles in the report. Every company’s share analysis on market players have also been presented in the report, apart from the footprint matrix of profiled market players. The report depicts the presence of ophthalmic packaging manufacturers by leveraging an intensity map. It also highlights key end users for ophthalmic packaging.
The report includes company overview of key players. Some of the key companies profiled in the ophthalmic packaging market report include Schott AG, Berry Global Inc., Nolato AB, Bormioli Pharma, Tekni-plex Inc., WG Pro-Manufacturing Inc., Gerresheimer AG, West Pharmaceutical Services Inc., Aptar Group Inc. and Amcor Plc.
A realistic methodology, along with a holistic approach makes the base for sharp insights, which are provided in the ophthalmic packaging market for the study evaluation period. The TMR report comprises detailed information on growth prospects, along with riveting insights into the forecast assessment of the market.
Extensive primary and secondary researches have been employed to garner keen insights into the forecast study of the ophthalmic packaging market. The report has further undergone a cross-validation by in-house professionals to make the ophthalmic packaging market report one-of-its-kind with the highest credibility.
North America Ophthalmic Packaging Market – Segmentation
The North America ophthalmic packaging market has been divided on the basis of dose, material type, end use, and country. Each of these segments are analyzed to provide readers with holistic view of the market.