Flaxseed Market (Nature: Organic and Conventional; Type: Whole, Powder, Oil, and Others; End Use: Food & Beverage Industry, Nutraceuticals, Animal Feed, Retail/Household, and Industrial; and Distribution Channel: Business to Business and Business to Consumer) - North America Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Press Release :
Flaxseed Proving Propitious for Cancer Treatment
Flax is a fiber crop and food with pretty blue flowers and cultivated for thousands of years. The seeds of flax are golden yellow to reddish-brown that contain phytoestrogens, which are similar to the hormone estrogen. Flaxseeds comprise soluble fiber and oil that contains alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is an essential omega-3 fatty acid. Flaxseeds have been used as medicine for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, mastalgia, and swelling of kidneys in people with lupus. Presently, there is a trending demand for products with high nutritional value, natural, great taste, and flavor, which is demonstrated by the customers for their numerous goals. Moreover, flaxseeds are been recognized as convenience food products, and many consumers in North America are preferring easy to cook products, which are driving the North America flaxseed market during the projected future.
Flaxseed contains fiber that is primarily found in the seed coat. People on a weight-loss diet are increasingly consuming flaxseed before the meal, as flaxseed fiber helps make people feel less hungry. Some research explains the binding of fiber with cholesterol in the intestine, which prevents fiber from being absorbed. Moreover, flaxseeds are growing in demand for other health factors such as making platelets less sticky. Flaxseed’s impact on cholesterol and blood clotting may lower the risk of atherosclerosis, which hardens the arteries. Medical professionals and researchers are studying the effects of flaxseed on cancer, as the body breaks them into chemicals called lignans. It is similar to the female hormone estrogen. Some experts believe that lignans may be able to slow down the growth of certain breast cancers and other sorts of cancers that need estrogen to grow. Thus, with the growing use of flaxseed in medical treatments, the North America flaxseed market is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Flaxseed Market
Producers Fail to Meet Ongoing Demand during COVID-19 Crisis
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced governments to impose strict restrictions to protect their people. In North America, restrictions extended to production, certification, and international trade of seed with severe results for producers and the global food chain. The classification of the farming sector as 'essential' in North American countries is significant for the maintained production and movement of seed. In addition, avoiding modifications to regulatory frameworks is crucial at a time when appropriate jurisdictions are short-staffed and under pressure. Nevertheless, during the crisis, the demand for flaxseed has been increasing due to its health benefits for several conditions. However, there have been severance in the supply chain and a deficiency of seeds during the pandemic outbreak. The unexpected increase in demand has made it challenging for yielders to meet the demand due to the unavailability of farming inputs. Thus, the COVID-19 had a notable impact on the North America flaxseed market.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Multiple Health Benefits of Flaxseed Exploited In Recent Years
In the North American market, flax seeds are used for oil and flax meal production by crushing. It is also popular in the form of whole seeds, seeds sprouted, and grounded seeds. Flaxseed oil and meal are utilized in the production of food products. Moreover, flaxseed oil is also extensively used in industrial applications for linoleum production, varnish, and ink production. The growing consumer demand for healthy diets, growing usage in animal feed, industrial applications, and the fact that flaxseeds are a more economical option to chia seeds and quinoa seeds are factors expected to drive the North America flaxseed market during the forecast period. However, the growing awareness of risks of side effects of flaxseed consumption and the high sensitivity of the crop to insects and weeds are anticipated to hamper market growth. Nevertheless, superfood qualities of flaxseed and its medical benefits are thriving in the North America flaxseed market during the upcoming future.
Flaxseed has been favorably exploited in the production of various value-added products. Commercially, every part of the flaxseed can be produced directly or with processing. Insoluble fibers such as hemicellulose, cellulose, and lignin are richly found in flaxseed. Moreover, flaxseed is an adequately excellent source of minerals, especially, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, and some amounts of sodium. Furthermore, the extrusion cooking technology is currently playing an important role in many food processing industries, as constant cooking, mixing, shearing, and forming process. Manufacturers are offering an extruded flaxseed-containing product that can be consumed as a breakfast, cereal, or snack may promote the consumption of flaxseed and provide health benefits for consumers. The multiple health benefits associated with flaxseeds are in demand for making functional food products and nutraceuticals for producing supplements and energy bars. All these factors are anticipated to generate more opportunities for the flaxseed market players for increased sales and offers.
Heavy Demand for Flaxseed in Cosmetics, Beauty Products
The awareness regarding the potential health benefits of flaxseed oil and its versatility is increasing the demand for flaxseed oil for cosmetics and food applications, and is further expected to grow during the forecast period. The use of flaxseed oil as a functional food ingredient is being incorporated into baked foods, dairy products, muffins, dry pasta products, and meat products. In addition, the oil can readily be used as an alternative for different types of oil in salad dressings, margarine, dips, and sauces. Many moisturizing products are including flaxseed oil in their ingredients to apply directly to the skin to enhance its health and increase moisture content. The North America flaxseed market is growing at a CAGR of 3.9% and is expected to reach US$ 2.3 Bn by 2031.
The North American region is currently dominating the flaxseed market for its increasing consumption of flaxseed oil, and is further expected to hold a significant share in the global industry during the forecast period. Canada and the U.S. are one of the leading cultivators of flaxseeds across the world. Easy availability of flaxseed in these regions and rising popularity of flaxseed-based products among health and beauty-conscious consumers are driving the flaxseed market in North America. However, Asia Pacific countries are expecting a high demand for flaxseed in cosmetics and industrial segments due to rapid urbanization and growing population.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Flaxseed Market
The incorporation of flaxseed to enhance various products, such as baked, dairy, extruded, and is increasing the demand for flaxseed in North American region. Flaxseed is widely being used in supplementation on nutritional, physicochemical, and sensory properties of products, and is further expected to increase its end users in various industries. Flaxseeds enable significant improvements in the nutritional value of value-added products in terms of ash, protein, dietary fiber, and omega-3 fatty acid. The use of flaxseed can also help to enhance physicochemical, textural, color, and sensory properties of different products. Thus, the North America flaxseed market is expected to witness a heavy surge in the demand during the projected period.
North America Flaxseed Market: Overview
- The North American flaxseed market value stood over 1.5 Bn in 2021, finds Transparency Market Research (TMR) in a recent study. According to the report, the market is expected to reach US$ 2.3 Bn by 2031, at a CAGR of 3.9% during the forecast period.
- Nutraceutical and food industries are among the major segments incurring high revenue in the market for flaxseed
- The animal feed end use segment accounts for the largest share of the flaxseed market; however, the nutraceutical segment is anticipated to expand at a significant value CAGR of 4.9% with the rising demand for healthy food products
- High disposable income, rise in health consciousness among consumers, and awareness are propelling the growth of the flaxseed market. Health concerns such as obesity, heart health, and increasing interest in a healthy lifestyle are some of the key aspects shaping the popularity of flaxseed products with healthy and recognized ingredients.
North America Flaxseed Market Frontrunners
- Majority of the flaxseed is used for producing flaxseed oil, which has major industrial applications, along with the increasing applications in the food as well as animal feed industries. Based on type, flaxseed oil is likely to dominate the North American flaxseed market in the year 2021. However, whole & powdered flaxseed are gaining massive traction for wide applications in various end-use industries; the whole and powder type segments are anticipated to grow at a value CAGR of 4.8% and 4.3% CAGR during the forecast period.
- Based on end use segment, the animal feed segment accounts for the largest value share of 40% with the growing demand for healthy animal feed additives. The industrialization of the dairy and meat industry has led to the increasing demand for nutritional and fortified animal feed products, which help in maintaining the health of livestock and pets.
- In North America, the U.S. is expected to remain frontrunners in the consumption of flaxseed and is expected to grow at a value CAGR of 4.2%. However, Canada is one of the largest producers of flaxseed in the world, and exports a large portion of flaxseed to the U.S. and other major countries in the world.
North America Flaxseed Market: Trends
- Increased customer demand for transparency and traceability:
With the ever-changing consumers' demand for food products, a new trend for food traceability has evolved over the recent years. Consumers nowadays are very keen to know how their food products are made and where it comes from. Many consumers, while making buying decisions are flipping the packaged food products to see which ingredients are used to make them, to understand their nutritional content and quality. The increasing awareness among consumers about the harmful effects of food products containing artificial ingredients & colors, chemicals, and others has led to rising demanding transparency in labeling.
With the help of new and advanced technology, consumers can trace the food journey from the source until the product reaches their table. The spotlight on the food safety issues in the past few years has resulted in increased awareness about potential safety risks on the food consumption of consumers that are driving the demand for transparency and traceability.
- Growing demand for convenience food products to flaxseeds to bolster sales:
There is an increasing demand for products with high nutritional value, natural, great taste, and flavor. These products are also required to keep up with busy schedules. Thus consumers prefer food products that are easy to cook and can be consumed on the go, increasing the demand for convenience food products. These food products have become indispensable in urban kitchens, as it is a time-saver for customers and can cater to their needs by providing essential nutrients. The growth in the working population that involved a large portion of women has resulted in the growing preference toward convenience foods. Consumers are willing to pay a premium price for convenience foods that offer ample nutrition and help to keep up with the increasing complexity in consumer dynamics.
Flaxseeds-based convenience food products are a rich source of potent nutrition, and with increased push from flaxseed manufacturers that are offering innovative food products with new flavors, the demand for flaxseed convenience food products has increased over the recent years.
- Increased demand from nutraceuticals, functional food producers to increase sales opportunities for flaxseed market players:
Flaxseed is a nutritionally dense plant also known as a superfood in many developed countries. It is widely consumed for health benefits such as reduction in cholesterol level. This has increased the demand for flaxseeds in the nutraceuticals and functional food sub-segments of the food & beverage industry segment. It is also beneficial against cancer, as it is a good source of ALA, lignans that are essential to protect against cancer cells.
With so many health benefits associated with flaxseeds, it is widely used for making functional food products and nutraceuticals for producing supplements and energy bars. This is creating opportunities for the flaxseed market players of increased sales and offers.
North America Flaxseed Market: Strategies
- Key manufacturers operating in the flaxseed market are focusing on offering certified, good-quality flaxseeds for their customers. Manufacturers are also investing a lot in the research and development for different flaxseed applications. Moreover, the sale of flaxseed has increased in the nutraceuticals segment, owing to the increasing awareness of its health benefits. This has marked an opportunity for manufacturers to increase their market share by offering segment-specific flaxseed.
- Many of the key companies are focusing on the quality of their products, starting from sourcing ingredients to following a standard production process and hygienic packaging. Companies are also catering to the ongoing trend in the market by offering gluten-free, vegan, and organic products.
- Leading players such as AgMotion, Inc., carry out testing for ensuring high industry standards of their products. Some of the companies also follow traceability in their products to satisfy their customer demands.
North America Flaxseed Market Players
- Some of the key players, including manufacturers, cultivators, and brands operating in the flaxseed market, as profiled in the study are
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- AgMotion Inc.
- Linwoods Health Foods
- Bioriginal Food & Science Corp
- CanMar Foods Ltd.
- Waltanna Farms
- TA Foods Ltd.
- Shape Foods Inc
- Prairie Flax Products Inc.
- NOW Foods
- Bio Oils
- Zeghers Canada
- Vandaele Seeds Ltd.
- Premium Gold Flax
- Johnson Seeds Ltd.
- The Linseed Farm
- Adora Farm
- Oy Linseed Protein Finland Ltd.
- Viva Naturals
- Flax Farm Ltd.
North America Flaxseed Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has recently published a market study on the flaxseed market in North America. It provides a detailed assessment of key market dynamics, including drivers, trends, opportunities & restraints, and detailed information about the North America flaxseed market structure. The market study presents exclusive information about how the North America flaxseed market will grow during the forecast period of 2021-2031.
Key indicators of market growth, which include year-on-year (Y-o-Y) growth of the market, value chain, supply chain analysis, and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) are elaborated in the study in a comprehensive manner. This information is intended to help readers understand the quantitative growth prospects of the flaxseed market during the forecast period.
The study is intended to offer a holistic market overview to stakeholders in the North America flaxseed market, including manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, cultivators, brands and investors, and to help them develop winning growth strategies. Stakeholders in the flaxseed market, which include investors, industry experts, researchers, and journalists, and business researchers can leverage the information and data presented in TMR’s study.
The study also includes statistics and facts related to the macro as well as microeconomic factors that are impacting the expansion of the market. It also offers actionable insights into the future trends in the flaxseed market. Furthermore, small businesses and new entrants in the North America flaxseed market can make use of the information presented in this study based on which, they can make appropriate business decisions in order to gain momentum in the market.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s North America Flaxseed Market Report
- Which country will continue to remain the most profitable market for North America flaxseed market players?
- Which factors will induce a change in the demand for flaxseed products during the assessment period?
- How will the changing trends impact the North America flaxseed market?
- How can market players capitalize on the low-hanging opportunities in the North America flaxseed market in developed countries?
- Which companies are leading the flaxseed market?
- What are the winning strategies of stakeholders in the flaxseed market to catapult their position at the forefront?
Flaxseed Market – Research Methodology
In TMR’s study, a unique research methodology is used to conduct an extensive research on the growth of the North America flaxseed market and identify future growth parameters. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research to help analysts ensure the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts for compiling the North America flaxseed market study include statistics from governmental organizations, trade journals, white papers, and internal & external proprietary databases. Analysts have interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, marketing/product managers, and market intelligence managers who contributed to the development of this report as a primary source.
Information acquired from primary and secondary sources is compiled in a comprehensive manner. This also acts as a validation from companies in the flaxseed market, which makes TMR’s projections more accurate and reliable.
North America Flaxseed Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the North America flaxseed market offers information divided into important segments — nature, type, end use, distribution channel, and country. This report offers comprehensive data and information about the important market dynamics and growth parameters associated with these categories.