Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation: Introduction
- Natural gas is a naturally occurring hydrocarbon gas consisting primarily of methane. It is used as a source of energy for industrial, residential, as well as commercial applications.
- From deep wells in the earth’s surface, companies extract hydrocarbons comprising methane mixtures, which are then processed and refined into pure methane and transported as pipeline quality gas to be distributed in households, commercial establishments, and industries as fuel. These reserves come from reservoirs comprising crude oils and other non-commercial substances. Pure methane is extracted from materials and is transferred through local and long-distance pipelines for delivery to various customers.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market
- According to International Energy Agency (IEA), oil and natural gas meet 50% of the world’s energy demand. Consumption of natural gas increased by 4.6% in 2018. According to Rystad Energy, total energy consumption in the commercial sector stood at 4, 12,627 Ktoe in 2018 and is anticipated to rise during the forecast period.
- Natural gas is transported via a series of large piping infrastructure. Pipeline transportation of natural gas provides a safe, economic, and environmentally sound alternative to most other options of energy transport. In the power sector, natural gas is used as a fuel for co-generation power plants. In the fertilizer industry, natural gas is used as feedstock for the production of ammonia and urea. In the petrochemical industry, natural gas is used for the production of chemical products such as methanol. Natural gas is used as a fuel for cooking and heating purposes in domestic and commercial applications. Thus, usage of natural gas in various industries is expected to drive the natural gas pipeline transportation market.
- Governments of countries across the globe are leaning toward a low carbon future. This is anticipated to impact the consumption of oil and natural gas, resulting in limited production of oil and natural gas. In turn, this is likely to hamper the global natural gas pipeline transportation market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Supply Chain
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, have come to a halt because of lockdowns. Supply could not adjust to the drop in consumption. This resulted in considerable buildup of gas in storage. Low prices and unprecedented drop in demand have created difficulties for the upstream sector in regions with unfavorable production economies.
Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market Segmentation
- The global natural gas pipeline transportation market can be segmented based on type, pipeline component, and location
- In terms of type, the global natural gas pipeline transportation market can be divided into gathering pipeline, transportation pipeline, and distribution pipeline
- In terms of pipeline component, the global natural gas pipeline transportation market can be segregated into transmission pipes, compressor stations, metering stations, and valves
- In terms of location, the global natural gas pipeline transportation market can be classified into onshore and offshore
Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global natural gas pipeline transportation market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Natural gas is being highly publicized as low-carbon energy system, which is building the credibility of companies in the market landscape. Europe is anticipated to absorb most of the natural gas supply from exporters, as users are switching from coal to gas in the power sector. Thus, the natural gas pipeline transportation market is projected to expand significantly in Europe during the forecast period.
- According to the World Energy Council, the U.S. has 1,161 trillion cubic feet of technically recoverable unconventional gas. China has 1,115 trillion cubic feet of unconventional gas. The U.S. was the leading country in terms of production of unconventional gas in 2018. Its annual production of unconventional gas stood at 22 trillion cubic feet in 2018. China’s production output stood at 10 trillion cubic feet in the year. Thus, surge in production of gas is expected to boost the natural gas pipeline transportation market during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- Kinder Morgan
- Chevron Corporation
- PetroChina Company Limited
- ENBRIDGE INC.
- Berkshire Hathaway Energy
- Enable Midstream Partners
Global Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market: Research Scope
Global Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market, by Type
- Gathering Pipeline
- Transportation Pipeline
- Distribution Pipeline
Global Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market, by Pipeline Component
- Transmission Pipes
- Compressor Stations
- Metering Stations
Global Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market, by Location
Global Natural Gas Pipeline Transportation Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!