The music publishing industry is currently witnessing a course-altering transformation. With plummeting sales of physical albums, the future lies in the digital space. The report on the music publishing market tracks this evolution of the industry as it enters a new phase of revenue generation. Growth in the music publishing market has been dismal over the past five years, but with the advent of cutting-edge digital technologies and the entry of new artistes in the market, this scenario could change for the better soon. Corporate as well as consumer spending has seen an uptick in recent years, and this could augur well for the music industry.
The report broadly segments the music publishing market on the basis of geographical regions and type of license (reproduction license, synchronization license, public performance license, and folio license). The report on the music publishing market offers a comprehensive overview of the current trends, opportunities, growth factors and restraints. It draws on industry-leading databases to emerge with accurate forecasts for revenues (US$ as well as market CAGR (%)
Overview of the Music Publishing Market
Music publishing is a part of the music industry, and refers to acquiring copyrights of compositions, songs, lyrics, and other artistic works of an individual artiste or band. Music publishing comprises the following functions: Acquiring songs, administering copyrights, exploiting the artistic material to earn revenues, and protecting copyrights. The music publishing market is part of a multibillion-dollar industry, and has evolved remarkably in recent times.
Traditionally, a music publishing company would distribute music compositions via physical products such as cassettes and compact discs. But the last few years have marked a massive change in the way the music publishing industry functions. The sales of cassettes and CDs have nosedived, and this traditional market is being replaced by new revenue sources such as mobile music outlets, digital streaming, wireless music subscription services, and more. With more new songwriters and artists entering the music industry, the demand for music publishers, as well as the services provided by them, is expected to surge palpably.
An upsurge in the global entertainment and media industry has been a key driver for the music publishing industry. The following benefits offered by music publishing companies to artistes will also impel growth: Established industry contacts, networking capabilities, advance payments, secured copyrights, publicity collateral and fixed contracts.
However, music companies could lose lucrative business opportunities to artistes who publish their own compositions and albums. Furthermore, the music publishing industry has, for years, been grappling with the issue of piracy that has erodes profit margins. Curbing piracy has become even more difficult in the digital age.
Based on license type, the market for music publishing has been segmented into: Reproduction or mechanical, public performance, synchronization, and folio license. The reproduction license segment is composed of physical and digital forms of distributing music. Public performances relate to music being broadcasted via media such as radio and live performances. Synchronization licensing pertains to music used in movies, music videos, TV, and other emerging media. The folio license, on the other hand, deals with the distribution of music in the written form (lyrics and music notation) on freely-accessible platforms. By geography, the market is composed of North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Rest of the World (RoW).
Companies mentioned in the music publishing market report
Participants that have conventionally dominated the music publishing industry are: Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group, and Warner/Chappell Music, Inc. The other prominent players include: Broadcast Music, Inc., Avatar Publishing Group, Criterion Music Corporation, and Super Cassettes Industries Private Ltd.
Major geographies analyzed under this research report are:
- North America
- Rest of the World
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for the coming years
- Overview of key market forces propelling and restraining market growth
- Up-to-date analyses of market trends and technological improvements
- Pin-point analyses of market competition dynamics to offer you a competitive edge
- An analysis of strategies of major competitors
- An array of graphics and SWOT analysis of major industry segments
- Detailed analyses of industry trends
- A well-defined technological growth map with an impact-analysis
- Offers a clear understanding of the competitive landscape and key product segments
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.