Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA): Introduction
- Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) belongs to the family of isopropanolamines or aliphatic amines of isopropyl alcohol. MIPA is a colorless, clear liquid that is completely miscible with water, benzene, and alcohol. MIPA is used as neutralizer and emulsifying agent in various applications due to its alkaline character.
- MIPA-based formulations exhibit better thermal and color stability, and improved oil solubility than conventional ethanolamines. MIPA serves as good solubilizer of oil and fat; offers heat and color stability; and entails lower formulation costs.
- Demand for MIPA is expected to be high, as it helps achieve basicity, buffering, and alkalinity objectives in various applications such as fatty acid-based surfactants, sulfonic acid-based surfactants, and metalworking fluids
- MIPA has been a widely used intermediate in organic synthesis of plastics, coating materials, rubber chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides
Key Drivers of Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market
- Demand for MIPA is anticipated to be high in agricultural applications in the near future. For instance, it is a key intermediate used in the production of agrochemicals such as glyphosate, bentazone, atrazine, and other triazine herbicides.
- Of late, pigments, and paints and coatings manufacturers have been widely using MIPA for its versatile attributes. These application areas are likely to significantly drive the MIPA market during the forecast period. For instance, MIPA is used as a dispersion agent in the production of pigments such as titanium dioxide. It is also employed as a specialty neutralizer in waterborne coatings. Furthermore, it is used as a chemical intermediate in the manufacture of polyurethanes.
- Enactment of stringent environmental regulations associated with the production of MIPA is likely to hamper the market to some extent by 2030
Covid-19 Impact on Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market
- The global chemicals industry is expected to be significantly impacted by the coronavirus pandemic in the near future. Supply chains have been disrupted. Order volumes for companies have also been adversely affected. Demand for MIPA is estimated to reach the pre-crisis level by 2022.
Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market: End-use Segments
- Based on end-use industry, the global MIPA market can be divided into cosmetics & personal care, metalworking, paints & coatings, pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and others
- In terms of volume, the cosmetics & personal care segment accounted for significant share of the global MIPA market in 2019. This trend is anticipated to continue curing the forecast period. MIPA is used in cosmetics & personal care formulations as emulsifier, stabilizer, chemical intermediate, and neutralizer that helps achieve basicity, buffering, and alkalinity.
- Demand for MIPA is estimated to be high in the metalworking segment for corrosion protection and paint removal applications. Niche applications for MIPA include gas conditioning, where it serves as an agent to remove acidic gases and lubricants.
Asia Pacific to be Key Region of Global Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market
- In terms of region, the global MIPA market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is estimated to lead the global MIPA market during the forecast period. China’s leading position in terms of production and export of MIPA is anticipated to contribute to the high share of the region by 2030.
- In terms of consumption, major MIPA producing regions – China, the U.S., and Western Europe – accounted for more than 70% share of the global market in 2019. Production of MIPA increased significantly in China during 2014 to 2017.
- In July 2016, BASF SE opened a new plant in Ludwigshafen, Germany, with annual capacity to produce 15,000 tons of isopropanolamines. Isopropanolamines are used in industrial lubricants to inhibit corrosion.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global MIPA Market
The global MIPA market was fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global MIPA market include:
- BASF SE
- Lanxess AG
- Orion Chem Pvt Ltd
- Nanjing HBL International Co., Ltd.
- Eastman Chemical Company
Global Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market: Research Scope
Global Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market, by Grade
Global Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market, by End-use
- Cosmetics & Personal care
- Paints & Coatings
- Others (Rubber, etc.)
Global Monoisopropanolamine (MIPA) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!