Molybdenum Disulfide: Introduction
- Molybdenum disulfide compound is grouped as transition metal dichalcogenide. It is present in nature as a silvery black solid mineral molybdenite. Molybdenum disulfide features good thermal and chemical stability, and has a friction coefficient of less than 0.1. The compound is not affected by dilute acids and oxygen. Molybdenum disulfide is a dry/solid lubricant featuring excellent dry lubrication properties. It can withstand temperature above 350°C.
- Molybdenum disulfide with the particle size in the range of 1 µm -100 µm finds common use as a dry lubricant. Molybdenum disulfide retains its lubrication properties even if there is complete oil loss. Therefore, it is used in various industries for smooth working of machines and equipment.
- Molybdenum disulfide finds extensive use in aerospace, military, and automotive industries. It is a suitable compound for chassis lubrication of heavy duty service vehicles such as construction vehicles and trucks. Some wide use of molybdenum disulfide lies in lubrication of automotive systems such as ball joints, pedal shafts, wheel bearing, steering linkages, and control arms. It is also used extensively in greases and grease-like products that are used for lubrication. Furthermore, molbdenum disulfide is used in sputtered coatings, and resin fastened impingement coatings.
- Molybdenum disulfide is also suitable for heavily loaded bearings in industrial and manufactuing units to protect the bearings from corrosion. It also features oxidation properties.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Molybdenum Disulfide Market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- Molybdenum is one of the essential materials for the aerospace and defense industries owing to its various properties such as high-temperature stability, tensile strength, density, radiation protection, and excellent material machinability. In the aerospace industry, molybdenum is used to reduce vibration and improve pilot and passenger comfort, as the material has high strength and less weight. It is also used for the stabilization of control surfaces for ailerons, elevators, and rudder sections of aircraft, helicopter rotor blades, and cockpit instrumentation. Thus, increase in demand for molybdenum disulfide in aerospace and defense industries is expected to drive the global molybdenum disulfide market during the forecast period.
- Molybdenum disulfide is employed in various end-use industries such as aerospace, automotive, and chemical. Led by growth of these end-use industries, the demand for molybdenum disulfide is estimated to rise significantly during the forecast period. However, presence of alternatives such as tungsten disulfide (WS2) is projected to restrain the global molybdenum disulfide market in the near future.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Molybdenum Disulfide: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global molybdenum disulfide market has been segmented into lubricant, semiconductor, coating, catalysts, and others
- Lubricant has been the major segment of the global molybdenum disulfide market since many years. It is estimated to expand with a healthy CAGR during the forecast period. Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) friction coefficient can be as low as 0.05. Diluted acids and oxygen are also not affected. The low friction coefficient of MoS2 helps transfer lubricant between two mating surfaces to reduce wear and tear in heavy vehicles such as trucks and construction vehicles.
Covid-19 Impact on Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating on a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Various manufacturing activities of different materials and products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and disruption of the supply chain. This is likely to hamper the global molybdenum disulfide market.
Asia Pacific to be Key Region of Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- In terms of region, the global molybdenum disulfide market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global molybdenum disulfide market in 2019. It is expected to hold significant share, followed by North America and Europe. Growth of the manufacturing sector in Asia Pacific has boosted the demand for low-friction coatings and lubricants due to the change in manufacturing bases by global players owing to the availability of low-cost raw materials and labor. Additionally, demand for molybdenum disulfide is high in major markets of electronics production such as China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
The global molybdenum disulfide market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global molybdenum disulfide market include:
- Tribotecc GmbH
- Exploiter Molybdenum Co., Ltd
- Rose Mill Co. LLC
- EPRUI Nanoparticles & Microspheres Co. Ltd
- Freeport-McMoRan Inc.
- TRITRUST INDUSTRIAL (CHINA) CO, LTD
- Graphene Laboratories Inc.
- American Elements
- Strem Chemicals
- Moly Metal L.L.P
- Luoyang Shenyu Molybdenum Industry Co., Ltd
- US Research Nanomaterials, Inc.
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market : Research Scope
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by Type
- Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) Powder
- Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) Crystals
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by Application
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by End-use Industry
- Aerospace & Defense
- Electrical & Electronics
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.