Molybdenum Disulfide: Introduction
- Molybdenum disulfide compound is grouped as transition metal dichalcogenide. It is present in nature as a silvery black solid mineral molybdenite. Molybdenum disulfide features good thermal and chemical stability, and has a friction coefficient of less than 0.1. The compound is not affected by dilute acids and oxygen. Molybdenum disulfide is a dry/solid lubricant featuring excellent dry lubrication properties. It can withstand temperature above 350°C.
- Molybdenum disulfide with the particle size in the range of 1 µm -100 µm finds common use as a dry lubricant. Molybdenum disulfide retains its lubrication properties even if there is complete oil loss. Therefore, it is used in various industries for smooth working of machines and equipment.
- Molybdenum disulfide finds extensive use in aerospace, military, and automotive industries. It is a suitable compound for chassis lubrication of heavy duty service vehicles such as construction vehicles and trucks. Some wide use of molybdenum disulfide lies in lubrication of automotive systems such as ball joints, pedal shafts, wheel bearing, steering linkages, and control arms. It is also used extensively in greases and grease-like products that are used for lubrication. Furthermore, molbdenum disulfide is used in sputtered coatings, and resin fastened impingement coatings.
- Molybdenum disulfide is also suitable for heavily loaded bearings in industrial and manufactuing units to protect the bearings from corrosion. It also features oxidation properties.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Molybdenum Disulfide Market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- Molybdenum is one of the essential materials for the aerospace and defense industries owing to its various properties such as high-temperature stability, tensile strength, density, radiation protection, and excellent material machinability. In the aerospace industry, molybdenum is used to reduce vibration and improve pilot and passenger comfort, as the material has high strength and less weight. It is also used for the stabilization of control surfaces for ailerons, elevators, and rudder sections of aircraft, helicopter rotor blades, and cockpit instrumentation. Thus, increase in demand for molybdenum disulfide in aerospace and defense industries is expected to drive the global molybdenum disulfide market during the forecast period.
- Molybdenum disulfide is employed in various end-use industries such as aerospace, automotive, and chemical. Led by growth of these end-use industries, the demand for molybdenum disulfide is estimated to rise significantly during the forecast period. However, presence of alternatives such as tungsten disulfide (WS2) is projected to restrain the global molybdenum disulfide market in the near future.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Molybdenum Disulfide: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global molybdenum disulfide market has been segmented into lubricant, semiconductor, coating, catalysts, and others
- Lubricant has been the major segment of the global molybdenum disulfide market since many years. It is estimated to expand with a healthy CAGR during the forecast period. Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) friction coefficient can be as low as 0.05. Diluted acids and oxygen are also not affected. The low friction coefficient of MoS2 helps transfer lubricant between two mating surfaces to reduce wear and tear in heavy vehicles such as trucks and construction vehicles.
Covid-19 Impact on Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating on a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Various manufacturing activities of different materials and products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and disruption of the supply chain. This is likely to hamper the global molybdenum disulfide market.
Asia Pacific to be Key Region of Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
- In terms of region, the global molybdenum disulfide market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global molybdenum disulfide market in 2019. It is expected to hold significant share, followed by North America and Europe. Growth of the manufacturing sector in Asia Pacific has boosted the demand for low-friction coatings and lubricants due to the change in manufacturing bases by global players owing to the availability of low-cost raw materials and labor. Additionally, demand for molybdenum disulfide is high in major markets of electronics production such as China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market
The global molybdenum disulfide market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global molybdenum disulfide market include:
- Tribotecc GmbH
- Exploiter Molybdenum Co., Ltd
- Rose Mill Co. LLC
- EPRUI Nanoparticles & Microspheres Co. Ltd
- Freeport-McMoRan Inc.
- TRITRUST INDUSTRIAL (CHINA) CO, LTD
- Graphene Laboratories Inc.
- American Elements
- Strem Chemicals
- Moly Metal L.L.P
- Luoyang Shenyu Molybdenum Industry Co., Ltd
- US Research Nanomaterials, Inc.
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market : Research Scope
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by Type
- Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) Powder
- Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) Crystals
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by Application
Global Molybdenum Disulfide Market , by End-use Industry
- Aerospace & Defense
- Electrical & Electronics
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.