Micro-scale Biogas Plant: Introduction
- Micro-scale biogas plant refers to a small-scale plant where biogas is produced by fermenting biomass. The size of micro-scale biogas plant ranges up to 80kW.
- Development of micro-scale digestion on-farm plants emerged after 2010. Micro-scale biogas plant is primarily installed in the agriculture industry, as it offers several advantages to farmers. For instance, it minimizes energy bills by producing heat and power; and reduces strong odors associated with the use of untreated manure.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Micro-scale Biogas Plant Market
- Rise in interest in the adoption of small-scale biogas technologies, primarily in developing economies such as Africa, Asia, and Latin America, is expected to drive the global micro-scale biogas plant market. Demand for biogas technology is driven by socioeconomic and environmental benefits of using biogas, such as decrease in firewood and kerosene consumption, and lower emissions of greenhouse gases and indoor air pollutants.
- Growth in investment in the development of small-scale biogas plants to cater to the rising demand for electricity and heat production is also expected to propel the global micro-scale biogas plant market during the forecast period. Furthermore, increase in need to manage food waste efficiently is estimated to boost the demand for micro-scale biogas plants.
- Rise in electricity consumption, primarily in developing nations such as China and India, is also anticipated to stimulate the global micro-scale biogas plant market during the forecast period. For instance, electricity consumption in Asia increased from 8,866 TWh in 2015 to 10,716 TWh in 2019. Biogas is the gaseous product of anaerobic digestion that is utilized to generate electricity and the production of heat.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Power Plant Projects
- Governments of various countries have enforced nationwide lockdowns as part of measures to limit the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. During the lockdown, several restrictions have been placed on the movement of individuals. Economic activities have come to a halt, barring the activities related to essential goods and services.
- Implementation of power projects needs a preliminary survey; therefore, restriction on movement of an individuals to limit the spread of coronavirus has negatively impacted the investment of investors in the installation of power plants. This has hampered the investment in the development of biogas power plant projects.
Heat Generation Application Segment Expected to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- The global micro-scale biogas plant market can be segmented based on application and region
- Based on application, the global micro-scale biogas plant market can be segregated into power generation and heat generation. The heat generation segment held major share of the global micro-scale biogas plant market in 2019. Growth of the segment can be ascribed to the rise in demand for space heating and hot water consumption in residential buildings.
Europe Expected to Constitute Major Share of Global Micro-scale Biogas Plant Market
- In terms of region, the global micro-scale biogas plant market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Europe is projected to dominate the global micro-scale biogas plant market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in efforts to reduce carbon emissions along with rise in prime energy consumption. Regulators have introduced several directives and rules to attain renewable targets and minimize GHG emissions.
- The micro-scale biogas plant market in the Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to increase in demand for continuous electricity supply at low cost in the region. Strong economic growth, availability of biomass resources, and rise in standard of living are some of the major factors propelling the demand for electricity across the region, majorly in developing economies such as China and India. Furthermore, the ease of availability of biomass resources is anticipated to boost the demand for micro-scale biogas plants.
- North America is also projected to hold vital share of the global micro-scale biogas plant market during the forecast period due to ongoing investments in the development of micro-scale biogas plants to meet the continuously rising demand for electricity across the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Leading companies operating in the global micro-scale biogas plant market include:
- Renergon International AG
- MSA Bio-Energy Pvt. Ltd
- BALKANIKA ENERGY PLC
- WELTEC BIOPOWER GMBH
Global Micro-scale Biogas Plant Market: Research Scope
Global Micro-scale Biogas Plant Market, by Application
- Power Generation
- Heat Generation
Global Micro-scale Biogas Plant Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa