- Micro-mobility is a mode of transportation that use very light vehicles, including electric scooters, shared bicycles, pedelec, electric skateboard, bicycles, etc. Gross weight of vehicles under this category is less than 500 kg.
- Micro-mobility vehicles are used for short duration travel, mainly for first or last mile of a journey. Miniaturization of transport modes for shorter journeys considered under micro-mobility. Requirement of motor, availability for shared services, and usage as primary utility are some additional conditions for micro-mobility.
Key Drivers of Global Micro-mobility Market
- Nearly 60% of car trips across the world are less than 8 kilometers and offer growth opportunities for the micro-mobility market
- Compact, lightweight, less payload capacity, electric or human-powered powertrain, and limited number of passengers are some of the important features of micro-mobility vehicles. These are expected to be key factors driving the global micro-mobility market during the forecast period.
- Investments in micro-mobility mode of transportation by several key players and governments across the globe likely to augment the micro-mobility market growth. For instance, private and public stakeholders in China have invested more than US$ 5 Bn since 2015 in micro-mobility start-ups.
- Rapidly growing demand for shared mobility solutions, including ridesharing, e-hailing, and car sharing in urban areas is likely to fuel the micro-mobility market growth
- Exponential growth in micro-mobility solutions can be attributed to continuous increase in urban population since the past decade. With major expansion of urban centers, around 65% of people are projected to live in cities by 2040.
- Most key players in the global micro-mobility market are start-ups funded by private or public investments. With increasing investments from several sectors, companies operating in the micro-mobility market are concentrated on expansion of their product portfolios and enhancement of distribution networks. Mergers and acquisition of micro-mobility start-ups by key players in shared mobility transportation and on-demand transportation are likely to drive the micro-mobility market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Battery Electric Vehicle Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Vehicle emission contributes majorly to the rising levels in global warming gases, including CO2, NOx, and several others
- Deterioration of environment is a major concern across the globe especially. The European Union has mandated several norms and regulations on vehicles and transportation to reduce vehicle emissions.
- Electric vehicles, also termed as zero-emission vehicles, help in reducing vehicle emission. Hence, the demand for battery electric vehicles for micro-mobility is growing at a rapid pace.
Privacy and Stringent Government Norms to Hamper Market
- Sharing a ride is a primary application of micro-mobility that results in loss of privacy of passengers traveling. Hence, a large number of costumer do not prefer ride sharing.
- Several countries across the globe, including Japan and Germany have banned ride-sharing services, owing to heavy protest from local taxi service operators
Asia Pacific Micro-mobility Market to Expand Rapidly
- Asia Pacific is the most populous region. The urban population across Asia Pacific is increasing consistently, which can be attributed to employment opportunities and increased standards of living in urban areas.
- Asia Pacific accounted for a significant share of the global micro-mobility market in 2018. This market in the region is projected to grow at a high pace, as the region comprises rapidly developing economies, such as China and India. The market in Asia Pacific is primarily driven by China, where the rate of adoption of micro-mobility services is increasing, owing to legality of ride-sharing services, surge in fuel prices, increased vehicular emission, and presence of leading players providing on-demand transportation services, including Didi. This, in turn, is driving the micro-mobility market in the country.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in micro-mobility market, ask for a customized report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global micro-mobility market is highly fragmented with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 20%–25% of the market share. Some of the key players operating in the global micro-mobility market are:
- Easymile SAS
- Skip Transportation
- Spin Scooters
- Sway Mobility
- Floatility GmbH
- Beijing Mobike Technology Co. Ltd.
- Bird Rides Inc.
- Segway Inc.
- Dynamic Bicycles
- Scoot Network
- Micro Mobility Systems
Global Micro-mobility Market: Research Scope
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Requirement Type
- First and Last Mile Trips
- Short Distance Trips
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Location
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Application
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Autonomy Level
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Power Source
Global Micro-mobility Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.