Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market: Introduction
- LNG (liquefied natural gas) is natural gas in its liquid form. When natural gas is cooled to −162°C (or −259°F) through a process known as liquefaction, it transforms into a clear, odorless liquid. This liquid takes up 600 times less space than natural gas and it offers ease in terms of storage and transport.
- However, small- and micro-scale LNG are gradually emerging as solutions to provide small volumes of gas to demand points that are located far away from supply infrastructure
- Mini/micro LNG facilities currently consist of LNG liquefaction plants supplying LNG satellite stations with annual LNG volumes of up to 0.2 MTPA. As an indication, these LNG quantities correspond to the yearly LNG demand for a power plant of up to 100 MW approximately.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market
- A micro LNG liquefaction plant with the capacity of less than 0.2 MTPA can be constructed within 1–2 years, unlike large-scale LNG plants, which can take up to 10 years. Factors such as the ability to enjoy profits in a shorter time span and growing consumption of LNG as a primary source of energy are expected to drive the global micro LNG liquefaction market during the forecast period.
- In the last few years, the world has gradually shifted from heavier distillates toward cleaner burning fuel sources. This has made the role of natural gas in the global energy landscape more significant. According to Royal Dutch Shell PLC, by 2035, the demand for natural gas is expected to reach more than 4,500 BM^3/y, up from 3,600 Bm^3/y in 2018. This provides immense growth opportunities to the global micro LNG liquefaction market.
- However, reduction in prices of natural gas and high initial investments are major factors restraining the global micro LNG liquefaction market
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Truck Segment to Witness Attractive Opportunities
- The global micro LNG liquefaction market can be segmented in terms of mode of supply, application, and region
- In terms of mode of supply, the global market can be classified into truck and barge. The truck segment is expected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period.
- Based on application, the global micro LNG liquefaction market can be segmented into transportation, industrial feedstock, and others
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market
- Based on region, the global micro LNG liquefaction market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global micro LNG liquefaction market in 2018 and the trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period. According to the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), as of January 2018, there were more than 110 LNG facilities operating in the U.S., offering a variety of services including liquefaction, storage, transportation, and regasification.
- According to PHMSA, there are 160 LNG facilities built or approved in the U.S., with a majority of them being small- and micro-scale projects. PHMSA also reports that the volume of LNG storage capacity in the U.S. has rose to 55.7 million barrels in 2018 from 45.4 million barrels in 2010.
- The micro LNG liquefaction market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. China, Japan, and Australia are major contributors, in terms of revenue, to the market in Asia Pacific.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Key Players Operating in Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market
The global micro LNG liquefaction market is highly concentrated, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 40%–45% of the market share. A few of the key players operating in the global micro LNG liquefaction market are:
- Snam S.p.A.
- Baker Hughes, a GE Company
Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market: Major Developments
- In March 2018, a high-pressure micro-scale LNG plant was commissioned in the Northwest region of British Columbia, Canada. The plant produces 30,000 gal/d of LNG. The liquid is then trucked approximately 1,400 kilometers (870 mi) away into the Yukon Territory, where it is used as a substitute for diesel in various industrial applications.
- In May 2018, Snam S.p.A. and Baker Hughes, a GE Company signed an agreement to develop micro-liquefaction infrastructure to boost sustainable mobility in heavy-duty trucks and promote sustainability in maritime transportation
Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market: Research Scope
Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market, by Mode of Supply
Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market, by Application
- Industrial Feedstock
Global Micro LNG Liquefaction Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.