Micro-fibrillated Cellulose: Introduction
- Micro-fibrillated cellulose is made of plant-based cellulose fibrils, with a diameter in the range of 10-100 nm. It is manufactured by mechanical treatment with or without enzymatic or chemical pre-treatment.
- Micro-fibrillated cellulose-based fibers often cross-link with fibers present in paper, packaging, and tissues to make them strong, stiff, and lighter. Additionally, these fibers offer high surface area, thus providing a large number of free hydroxyl groups, which are hydrophilic in nature. The hydroxyl groups help in increasing water retention ability of the fabric, owing to their hydrophilic property. Furthermore, it is non-soluble, tolerant to high pH, and possesses excellent stability at a wide range of temperatures, which makes micro-fibrillated cellulose fiber an ideal material to be utilized in diverse applications. Micro-fibrillated cellulose properties, such as high inertness, good stability, compatibility, shear thinning behavior, and stability, help in formulation of waterborne coatings and adhesives & sealants, especially for more demanding formulations.
Key Drivers of Micro-fibrillated Cellulose Market
- Properties of micro-fibrillated cellulose include 200% improvement of mud crack resistance, reduced micro cracking, enhanced opacity, and 90% reduction of coalescing solvents, which in turn reduces odor and VOC content of the paint & coating. This is expected to drive demand for micro-fibrillated cellulose to be used in various applications. Growing interest in bio-based nanomaterial due to its nano-scale dimensions and its ability to entangle nano-porous network, is prompting development and innovation in production of high-value products.
- Shift in consumer preference toward bio-based products is offering significant opportunities to the development of technologically advanced materials across the globe. Raw material used in the formulation of these materials is available in abundance. Additionally, its properties such as renewability, high surface area, tensile strength, and improved barrier property are expected to drive the demand for micro-fibrillated cellulose.
- All these factors are expected to augment the demand for micro-fibrillated cellulose in the near future.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Micro-fibrillated Cellulose Market
- Based on region, the global micro-fibrillated cellulose market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America and Europe dominated the global micro-fibrillated cellulose market in 2019. Asia Pacific followed these regions in terms of share of the global market. The micro-fibrillated cellulose market in the region is estimated to expand rapidly owing to a rise in the demand for micro-fibrillated cellulose in paints & coatings, packaging, paper, food & beverages, pharmaceuticals, paints & coatings, personal care & cosmetics, and home care applications. Rise in awareness regarding the use of micro-fibrillated cellulose in packaging and paints & coatings formulation and an increase in research & development activities in nanofiber cellulose sector are likely to augment the demand for micro-fibrillated cellulose in North America.
- Europe is projected to be a leading consumer of micro-fibrillated cellulose in the near future. Increase in regulations on the usage of fossil fuel-based products and a rise in restrictions on the use of hazardous chemicals are anticipated to propel the demand for alternatives in the region.
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. China and Japan are major countries that extensively engage in the production and supply of micro-fibrillated cellulose in Asia Pacific.
Key Players Operating in Market
The global micro-fibrillated cellulose market is consolidated with leading producers accounting for a prominent share. Furthermore, key producers are emphasize on new product launches and mergers & acquisitions to boost their share in the global market. For instance, in October 2018, Stora Enso announced that it had increased its ownership up to 100% in the Europe-based company Cellutech AB. Cellutech AB specializes in the production and marketing of cellulose, micro-fibrillated cellulose and other wood-based components. Major manufacturers operating in the micro-fibrillated cellulose market include:
- Daicel FineChem. Ltd.
- Stora Enso Oyj
- Norkse Skog
- FiberLean Technologies Limited
- CelluComp Ltd.
- Zelfo Technolgies GmbH
- Weidmann Fiber Technology
- Nippon paper
- J. RETTENMAIER & SohneGroup
On June 17, 2019, Stora Enso announced the launch of a new product under the brand name New Natura, made of micro-fibrillated cellulose for liquid packaging application. The company operates the world’s largest micro-fibrillated cellulose production facility at Imatra Mills in Finland.
Global Micro-fibrillated Cellulose Market: Research Scope
Global Micro-fibrillated Cellulose Market, by Application
- Food Packaging
- Liquid Packaging
- Food & Beverages
- Paints & Coatings
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Home Care
Global Micro-fibrillated Cellulose Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.