Methyl Vinyl Glycolate: Introduction
- Methyl vinyl glycolate, also known as methyl 2-hydroxybut-3-enoate, is available through zeolite catalyzed degradation of mono- and disaccharides. It is a renewable platform molecule for commercially relevant catalytic transformations.
- Methyl vinyl glycolate is used in various industrial applications. It is primarily used as a key component in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) plastic. Rise in global demand for PET plastic used for food packaging, especially bottles, is expected to drive the methyl vinyl glycolate market during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Drivers of Methyl Vinyl Glycolate Market
- PET plastic packaging possesses properties that make it preferable over other packaging technologies. Certain beneficial properties of PET plastic packaging are high transparency, shiny surface, good stability, high-pressure resistance, good barrier properties, and light weight. This is anticipated to drive the PET plastic market, thereby boosting the global methyl vinyl glycolate market during the forecast period.
- Many companies have started manufacturing bio-based methyl vinyl glycol. For instance, Haldor Topsoe A/S Company has launched MOSAIK solution for sugar cracking to a reactive intermediate. The new product is bio-based building block molecule for usage in polymers. It also allows for replacement as well as new formulations.
- Greater transparency and shiny surface of a PET plastic package provide a special appearance and give it a sophisticated image. Furthermore, PET containers are virtually unbreakable owing to their outstanding material qualities. This results from no fractures while filling, transporting, and usage. PET gives optimal protection to consumers. Thus, PET packaging is advantageous over other packaging materials.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Plastic Application Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- The PET plastic segment is estimated to hold significant share of the market during the forecast period, owing to high demand for PET plastic in the packaging industry. Methyl vinyl glycolate is used as a raw material in the production of PET plastic, which is employed in various packaging sectors such as food & beverage packaging, consumer goods packaging, and electronics.
Rise in Environmental Regulations on Plastic Likely to Hamper Market
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed regulations on usage of single use plastic. The European Parliament has approved a ban on single-use plastics such as straws, plates, cutleries, and cotton-swab sticks in Europe. It would come into effect by 2021. This helps the European Parliament join a global shift, as environmentalists emphasize the urgency of halting the use of materials that are detrimental to the environment. This is likely to affect the global methyl vinyl glycolate market.
Covid-19 Impact on Methyl Vinyl Glycol Market
- According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the world economy is expected to experience the worst recession since the Great Depression (1929–1933) in the near future. The packaging industry is also projected to feel the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the packaging industry is anticipated to be mixed in countries such as China and South Korea. Demand for packaging for groceries, health care products, and e-commerce transportation is estimated to rise sharply in the near future. At the same time, demand for industrial, luxury, and some transport packaging is estimated to decline.
- Industrial, bulk, and transportation packaging are anticipated to account for major share of demand for packaging. Demand for this type of packaging is closely linked to the trend in GDP and the level of industrial activity. Thus, the sharp decline related to COVID-19 has led to a reduction in demand for packaging. However, packaging for food and pharmaceutical industries continues to rise significantly. High growth in demand for corrugated packaging for e-commerce and grocery deliveries is also offsetting some demand lost elsewhere with industrial customers. Therefore, the impact of Covid-19 pandemic is estimated to be low on the methyl vinyl glycolate market in 2020 and 2021.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Methyl Vinyl Glycolate Market
- Based on region, the global methyl vinyl glycolate market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is estimated to constitute major share of the market, owing to the presence of a number of plastic and chemical companies in the region. The methyl vinyl glycolate market in China is expected to account for prominent market share, due to the presence of large number of chemical companies in the country.
- The market in North America is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to increase in production of PET plastic products across the region
- On February 6, 2019, Braskem and Haldor Topsoe together started a unit for developing renewable methyl vinyl glycolate (MVG). The demonstration plant is located in Lyngby, Denmark.
Key Players in Market
The global methyl vinyl glycolate market is highly concentrated with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 35%–40% share. Major players operating in the global methyl vinyl glycolate market include:
- Haldor Topsoe A/S
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV
- LOTTE Chemical CORPORATION
- India Glycols Limited
Global Methyl Vinyl Glycolate Market: Research Scope
Global Methyl Vinyl Glycolate Market, by Chemical intermediate
Global Methyl Vinyl Glycolate Market, by Application
- Polyester Fiber
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Plastic
- Anti-freeze Coolants
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.