Methyl Mercaptan: Introduction
- Methyl mercaptan is an organic compound that naturally exists within the blood, brain, and tissues of living beings including plants, animals, and humans. It can also be found in certain foods such as nuts, cheese, as well as asparagus. Methyl mercaptan is a volatile organic compound known as organosulfur due to its sulfur content. It is also known as methanethiol. Methyl mercaptan is primarily produced by the reaction of hydrogen sulfide with methanol. Methyl mercaptan is largely employed in the production of synthetic methionine as chicken feed supplement.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Methyl Mercaptan Market
- The methyl mercaptan market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance of methyl mercaptan as an intermediate product. Rise in usage of methyl mercaptan in industries such as aerospace, plastic, chemical, and agriculture is expected to propel the methyl mercaptan market during the forecast period.
- Increase in demand for fertilizers is expected to create significant opportunities for the methyl mercaptan market. Methyl mercaptan is an important intermediate in the manufacture of fertilizers and pesticides. This is anticipated to drive the demand for methyl mercaptan during the forecast period.
Methyl Mercaptan: Product Type Segment
- In terms of product type, the global methyl mercaptan market can be segmented into natural and synthetic
- The natural segment is expected to account for significant share of the global methyl mercaptan market during the forecast period
Methyl Mercaptan: Process Segment
- In terms of process, the global methyl mercaptan market can be divided into hydrogen sulfide & methanol synthesis, thiourea & dimethyl sulfate synthesis, and others
- The hydrogen sulfide & methanol synthesis segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the thiourea & dimethyl sulfate synthesis segment.
Methyl Mercaptan: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global methyl mercaptan market can be segregated into fungicides & pesticides, feedstock, intermediates, fuel additives, catalysts, and others
- The fungicides & pesticides segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the feedstock segment.
- The fuel additives segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increase in demand for fuel across the globe
Methyl Mercaptan: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global methyl mercaptan market can be categorized into agriculture, chemical, food, aerospace, mining, plastic, and others
- The agriculture segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the food segment.
- The aerospace segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the expansion of the global aviation industry
COVID-19 Impact on Methyl Mercaptan Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the methyl mercaptan market.
North America to Dominate Methyl Mercaptan Market
- In terms of region, the global methyl mercaptan market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the methyl mercaptan market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the higher demand of methyl mercaptan for jet fuel, especially in the U.S. The methyl mercaptan market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the increase in demand for agricultural products in emerging countries such as China and India.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Methyl Mercaptan Market
The global methyl mercaptan market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global methyl mercaptan market include:
- Arkema S.A.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC
- Wuji Zhongxian
- Evonik Industries
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market: Research Scope
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market, by Product Type
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market, by Process
- Hydrogen Sulfide & Methanol Synthesis
- Thiourea & Dimethyl Sulfate Synthesis
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market, by Application
- Fungicides & Pesticides
- Fuel Additives
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market, by End-use
Global Methyl Mercaptan Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!