Methocel: Market outlook
Methocel widely known as methyl cellulose is vital commercial cellulose ether used in several industrial applications. Methocel is white powder hydrophilic chemical compound synthesized by etherification of cellulose. The versatility of methocel enables it to be an essential compound for applications in the food industry, cosmetics and personal care products, pharmaceutical and biomedical products, ceramics and construction materials, adhesives, and other industrial applications. Methocel is an accepted food additive used as an emulsifying agent to prevent separation of two mixed liquids. Besides, methocel is used as a gelling additive and thickener in food applications. Methocel is used as a texturizing agent to provide volume and puffiness to the baked goods and also to improve the freshness of the products. Besides, methocel is used to stabilize foam formation in cold drinks, preventing ice crystal formation in ice-creams, reduction of fat in mayonnaise, dressings, creams and sauces, and others. Methocel is used in cosmetics, and personal care products including lotions and creams, hair styling products, hair shampoos, liquid soaps, and body washes, liquid bubble bath concentrate, and toothpaste to provide them thick consistency. Furthermore, methocel is used as an additive in pharmaceuticals and biomedical products as binders, emulsifiers, thickeners, and stabilizers and also as a potential alternative to gelatin. Methocel is used in ceramic processing to provide better flow and thickness. Besides, methocel is used as a performance additive in construction materials to improve the mortar properties such as workability, water retention, open and adjustment time, viscosity, and adhesion to surfaces.
Growing Industrial Application is Anticipated to be the Key Factor Driving the Growth for Methocel Market
The market for methocel is anticipated to witness a lucrative demand owing to growing food and beverage industry. The increasing urbanization, per capita disposable income and the improving standards of living is escalating the growth for food and beverage products which is further creating demands for food additives like emulsifying agents, texturizing agents, and others. Thus methocel is witnessing a growing demand over the forecast period. Besides, increasing urbanization and globalization is leading to rapidly growing infrastructural development which is further creating demand for performance additives for construction materials proving to be a driver for methocel market. Another factor driving the growth for methocel is the growing cosmetics and personal care industry. Methocel is used in personal care products to provide thickness, texture, and other properties and thus are witnessing an increasing demand. Also, the growing health issues and diseases are boosting the pharmaceutical industry which is anticipated to bolster the demand for methocel as it is used in the formulation of tablets, capsules, and other supplements. Hence, the methocel market is expected to witness a growing demand over the forecast years.
Global Methocel: Market Segmentation
On the basis of derivatives, the global methocel market has been segmented as-
- Hydroxyethyl Methyl Cellulose
- Hydroxybutyl Methyl Cellulose
- Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose
On the basis of end use, the global methocel market has been segmented as-
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Cosmetics and Personal Care
- Pharmaceutical and Biomedical
- Ceramics and Construction Materials
On the basis of grade, the global methocel market has been segmented as-
- Food Grade
- Pharmaceutical Grade
- Industrial Grade
On the basis of region, the global methocel market has been segmented as-
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
Global Methocel: Key Players
Some of the major players of methocel market include: The Dow Chemical Company, Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC., Ashland, BASF SE, Zhejiang Kehong Chemical Co. Ltd, Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., LOTTE Fine Chemical, Ltd, Reliance Cellulose Products Ltd., J. RETTENMAIER & SÖHNE GmbH + Co KG, Ltd., and others.
Activities by Key Market Players
- In 2016, The Dow Chemical Company, launched Methocel Bind and Wellence Fat Reduction, two fat fighting solution for meat manufacturers to reduce fat content, improve stability, and texture of meat products.
- In 2013, Colorcon Inc. and Dow Pharma & Food Solutions together launched Methocel DC2 for pharmaceutical industry to lower manufacturing costs and reduce development time.
Opportunities for Participants of Methocel Market:
The market for methocel is expected to witness a growing demand from both developed and developing economies. North America and Europe are anticipated to have considerable market share for methocel owing to the growing pharmaceutical and personal care industry. Besides, methocel is an approved food additive by the regulatory bodies of Europe and North America and hence finds strong market prospects as a food additive. However, the Asia Pacific region is anticipated to account for maximum growth opportunity for the methocel market owing to the growing food and beverage industry due to increasing demand for processed and convenient food products, growing construction activities due to GDP growth and urbanization which are creating strong demand for performance materials, and growing market for cosmetics and personal care products.
The methocel market report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the methocel market, including but not limited to: derivatives, end use, grade, and regional markets.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Methocel market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The methocel market report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the methocel market report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the Methocel market report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the methocel market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the methocel market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.