Metallized film laminates: Significance
Metalized film laminates have grown as an indispensable part of the packaging industry, and over the coming decade it is likely to gain significant responsiveness of manufacturers end owing to the upsurge in demand for the packaging of products such as foods & beverages, pharmaceutical and consumer goods. Metalized film laminates are the mainly polymer resins coated with a gentle layer of metal, usually aluminum, silver and tin. The films used of metal deposition include PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate), PE (Polyethylene), PP (Polypropylene), OPP (Oriented Polypropylene) among others.
Over the years, metalized film laminates have emerged as a nearest substitute of foil packaging and offers a lustrous metallic look at a reduced cost and weight. One the key reasons for popularity of metallized films are that they provide a metal like finish to paperboard or paper packaging. When metallization is done in films it improves oxygen barrier properties of the film such as up to 50x for OPP films and 10x for PET films. Metallized films laminates are also used in manufacturing and coating of flexible as well as rigid packaging solutions.
Global Metallized Film Laminates Market: Segmentation
The global metallized film laminates market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of material, the global metallized film laminates market has been segmented as follows –
- Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- Polyethylene (PE)
On the basis of product type, the global metallized film laminates market has been segmented as –
- Pouches & Sachets
- Wrapping films
- Lidding film
- Blister packs
On the basis of end use industry, the global metallized film laminates market has been segmented as –
- Food and Beverages
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
- Consumer goods
Global metallized film laminates market: Key Players
Some key players that currently operate in metallized film laminates market across the globe can be segmented into three tiers based on their market share as follow-
- Tier 1 (includes market leaders with a market share of more than 3%)
- Toray Industries, Inc.
- API Group
- Berry Global Inc.
- Bemis Company, Inc.
- Tier 2 (includes market players with a market share above 1% and below 3%)
- Sierra Coating Technologies LLC
- Triton International Enterprises
- Celplast Metallized Products
- Ampac Holdings, LLC.
- Ester Industries Limited
- Uflex Ltd.
- Tier 3 (includes manufacturers with market share below 1%)
- Uma Foils & Flexipack
- Patidar Corporation
- Ester Industries Limited
Exhibit 2: Company Competitive Analysis
Key developments & Trends
- In September 2016, Toray Plastics (America), subsidiary of Toray Industries Inc. launched a Lumirror MR20 metal-transfer film with aluminum deposited on its surface and is used in specialty printing and point-of-purchase applications. The MR20 film has good adhesion properties and sticks to paperboard and paper. Lumirror MR20 film are used to packaging of toys, alcohol, pet food, confectionary, personal care products, cosmetics among others.
- In July 2017, Toray Plastics (America), subsidiary of Toray Industries Inc. introduced two very high-barrier films free of chlorine: transparent PA1HB polyester PET films and Lumirror MK6HB PET films that is anticipated to extend the shelf life of products. These transparent metallized films provide aroma, moisture and oxygen-barrier protection. These metallized PET films are intended for use in e-commerce industry. The MK6HB PET films and PA1HB PET films are major alternatives to PVdC-coated PET and AlOx-coated PET films.
The road ahead
Over the years, packaging solutions coated with metallized film laminates has seen healthy rate of growth in terms of continuous shift in customer’s buying preferences. Customers are out to buy finished products with glossy & appealing packing. However, one of the hurdles that most manufacturers want to steer clear of, is the cost of package product. The more the thickness of film laminated on package, the higher is the cost.
Consequently, as metallized film laminates becomes more mainstream, a large scale shift is anticipated in the emerging markets. Most of the multi-national metallized film manufacturers are eying the emerging economies on verge of growing market uncertainty in the US & European markets.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.