- Mesitylene, also known as 1,3,5-trimethylbenzene, is a benzene derivative. It is colorless transparent liquid. It is insoluble in water and soluble in ethanol. It can dissolve in benzene, ether, and acetone in any proportion.
- Mesitylene is used to make plastics and dyes. It acts as a solvent, ligand in organometallic chemistry, and precursor to 2,4,6-trimethylaniline. It is also used as a developer for photo patternable silicones due to its solvent properties in the electronics industry.
- Mesitylene is used as an internal standard in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) samples due to the presence of three equivalent protons in it. It is used in the production of trimesic acid and antioxygen, epoxy firming agent, and polyester resin stabilizers. Furthermore, it is used as an additive and component in aviation gasoline blends.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Mesitylene Market
- Mesitylene has major applications in solvents. Mesitylene is gaining momentum in the health care industry owing to its alluring properties. Mesitylene is used in many processes. Mesitylene is also used to produce metisol by oxidizing with trifluoro peracetic acid. Metisol is used to reduce mottling, fix basic dyestuff, and prevent pitch problems. Additionally, mesitylene is used in laboratories as a specialty solvent and also acts as a ligand in organometallic chemistry. Rise in usage of mesitylene in electronics and research industries is expected to drive the global mesitylene market during the forecast period.
- Rise in demand for mesitylene in the aviation industry is expected to create significant opportunities for the mesitylene market in the future. Mesitylene acts as an additive in various types of aviation gasoline blends. Demand for mesitylene market is also rising in the color & dyestuff industry, as mesitylene is used as a 2,4,6-trimethylaniline precursor, which is a precursor to colorants. Pigments and colorants are used widely in various sectors such as textiles, automotive, and food & beverages. This is anticipated to drive the mesitylene market in the near future.
Mesitylene: Grade Segment
- In terms of grade, the global mesitylene market can be divided into industrial, electronics, and others
- The industrial grade segment is projected to hold major share of the global mesitylene market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the usage of industrial grade mesitylene as raw material in chemical synthesis and as ultraviolet stabilizer, paint thinner, solvent, motor fuel component, and intermediate in organic chemical manufacture.
- The electronics grade segment is projected to follow the industrial grade segment during the forecast period. In the electronics industry, mesitylene is widely used as a developer for photo patternable silicones due to its solvent properties. It is also a major urban volatile organic compound, which results from combustion. High demand for electronics is driving the global mesitylene market.
Mesitylene: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global mesitylene market can be segmented into additives, solvents, intermediates, and others
- The solvents segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Mesitylene is used in laboratories as a specialty solvent. It is also used as a solvent in research and industry. Additionally, increase in usage of mesitylene in electronics applications due to its solvent properties is projected to boost the global market for mesitylene in the next few years.
- The intermediates segment is projected to hold key share of the global mesitylene market in the near future. Intermediates are used in production of dyestuffs and UV oxidation stabilizers for plastics, solvent, and paint thinners. Intermediates are used in a wide range of industrial and consumer products.
COVID-19 Impact on Mesitylene Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the mesitylene market.
North America to Hold Leading Share of Mesitylene Market
- In terms of region, the mesitylene market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to hold major share of the global mesitylene market, followed by Asia Pacific and Europe, during the forecast period. This can be ascribed due to high presence of chemical manufacturers in North America. Furthermore, rise in investments in the electrical & electronics industry is boosting the demand for mesitylene.
- The mesitylene market in Asia Pacific and Europe is projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future
Key Manufacturers Operating in Mesitylene Market
The mesitylene market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the mesitylene market include:
- Mitsubishi Gas Chemical
- Refinery of Sinopec Jinling (Sinopec)
- EMD Performance Materials
- Toyo Gosei Co. Ltd.
- Jiangsu Jiuri Chemical
- Nantong Dingji Chemical Technology
- Jurong Anbei Chemical
- Jinzhou Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
- The DOW Chemical Company
Mesitylene: Research Scope
Mesitylene Market, by Grade
Mesitylene Market, by Application
Global Mesitylene Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!