Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE): Introduction
- MDPE is a thermoplastic within the polyethylene family, with a density of 0.926–0.940 g/cm3, which is less dense than the more common HDPE
- It can be produced by chromium/silica catalysts, Ziegler-Natta catalysts, or metallocene catalysts. MDPE has good shock and drop resistance properties. It is also less notch sensitive than HDPE. Stress cracking resistance is better than HDPE. MDPE is typically used in gas pipes & fittings, sacks, shrink film, packaging film, carrier bags, and screw closures. It has good heat deformation properties. Its melt temperature is above 120°C.
- MDPE has good abrasion resistance, low water permeability, and low coefficient of friction. It is well suited for insulation and cable jacketing of power cables. It can resist severe laying condition.
Rise in Building & Construction Activities to Drive Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market
- MDPE is primarily used in pipes and fittings. MDPE plastic pipes are used for gas pipes, water & wastewater plumbing designs, sewage, and drainage, steel pipe coating, wiring & cables, shrink films, and others.
- Medium density polyethylene (MDPE) has applications in automobile industries, where its high impact resistant properties, toughness, density, and moisture & chemical resistance are adopted in car designs
- MDPE is used for building car bodies, fuel tanks, and as an electrical insulator (sub-conductor insulators and cable jacketing). It is also cheap and easy to recycle. MDPE is technically termed ‘high-performance plastic’ alongside other classes of plastics.
- In agriculture, polyethylene is widely used in plasticulture, where plastic is used for some agricultural operations, and manufacture of some farm inputs such as silage bags, nursery pots, irrigation tubes, fumigation film, and other plastic soil and plant coverings.
Applications of Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE)
- In terms of application, the medium density polyethylene (MDPE) segment can be classified into agricultural, automotive, construction, consumer goods, medical & health, packaging, and industrial
- MDPE is primarily used in gas pipes & fittings, bags, shrink films, packaging films, transport bags, and bottle blowing
- Medium-density polyethylene (MDPE) resins are suitable for a number of packaging applications such as tubes, stand-up pouches, over-wrap films, milk pouches, and lamination films where stiffness and toughness are essential
- These resins offer higher stiffness, dart impact strength, and tear strength. These also present excellent optics for printing, see-through windows, and overall shelf appeal for retail packaging.
COVID-19 Impact on Global MDPE Market
- The global coronavirus outbreak is expected to pose severe challenges to the global MDPE market. MDPE is primarily used in the manufacture of pipes & fittings. Therefore, contraction in the building and construction industry is likely to restrain the global MDPE market in the near future. Extension of the lockdown in various countries across the world has led to supply chain disruptions. This, in turn, is anticipated to restrain the market in the near future.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market
- In terms of region, the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value, Asia Pacific dominated the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market in 2019. This can be ascribed to growth of the construction sector in developing countries such China and India in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to present significant opportunities in the medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market due to the usage of MDPE resins in various end-use industries such automotive, building & construction, and pipes
- The medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to grow at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market is fragmented, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Prominent players operating in the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market include:
- BLS Polymers Ltd.
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Polyexcel LLC
- Kasakrom Chemicals
- Excelsior Roto Moulding Ltd.
Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market: Research Scope
Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market, by Application
- Consumer Goods
- Medical & health
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.