Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE): Introduction
- MDPE is a thermoplastic within the polyethylene family, with a density of 0.926–0.940 g/cm3, which is less dense than the more common HDPE
- It can be produced by chromium/silica catalysts, Ziegler-Natta catalysts, or metallocene catalysts. MDPE has good shock and drop resistance properties. It is also less notch sensitive than HDPE. Stress cracking resistance is better than HDPE. MDPE is typically used in gas pipes & fittings, sacks, shrink film, packaging film, carrier bags, and screw closures. It has good heat deformation properties. Its melt temperature is above 120°C.
- MDPE has good abrasion resistance, low water permeability, and low coefficient of friction. It is well suited for insulation and cable jacketing of power cables. It can resist severe laying condition.
Rise in Building & Construction Activities to Drive Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market
- MDPE is primarily used in pipes and fittings. MDPE plastic pipes are used for gas pipes, water & wastewater plumbing designs, sewage, and drainage, steel pipe coating, wiring & cables, shrink films, and others.
- Medium density polyethylene (MDPE) has applications in automobile industries, where its high impact resistant properties, toughness, density, and moisture & chemical resistance are adopted in car designs
- MDPE is used for building car bodies, fuel tanks, and as an electrical insulator (sub-conductor insulators and cable jacketing). It is also cheap and easy to recycle. MDPE is technically termed ‘high-performance plastic’ alongside other classes of plastics.
- In agriculture, polyethylene is widely used in plasticulture, where plastic is used for some agricultural operations, and manufacture of some farm inputs such as silage bags, nursery pots, irrigation tubes, fumigation film, and other plastic soil and plant coverings.
Applications of Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE)
- In terms of application, the medium density polyethylene (MDPE) segment can be classified into agricultural, automotive, construction, consumer goods, medical & health, packaging, and industrial
- MDPE is primarily used in gas pipes & fittings, bags, shrink films, packaging films, transport bags, and bottle blowing
- Medium-density polyethylene (MDPE) resins are suitable for a number of packaging applications such as tubes, stand-up pouches, over-wrap films, milk pouches, and lamination films where stiffness and toughness are essential
- These resins offer higher stiffness, dart impact strength, and tear strength. These also present excellent optics for printing, see-through windows, and overall shelf appeal for retail packaging.
COVID-19 Impact on Global MDPE Market
- The global coronavirus outbreak is expected to pose severe challenges to the global MDPE market. MDPE is primarily used in the manufacture of pipes & fittings. Therefore, contraction in the building and construction industry is likely to restrain the global MDPE market in the near future. Extension of the lockdown in various countries across the world has led to supply chain disruptions. This, in turn, is anticipated to restrain the market in the near future.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market
- In terms of region, the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value, Asia Pacific dominated the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market in 2019. This can be ascribed to growth of the construction sector in developing countries such China and India in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to present significant opportunities in the medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market due to the usage of MDPE resins in various end-use industries such automotive, building & construction, and pipes
- The medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to grow at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market is fragmented, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Prominent players operating in the global medium density polyethylene (MDPE) market include:
- BLS Polymers Ltd.
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Polyexcel LLC
- Kasakrom Chemicals
- Excelsior Roto Moulding Ltd.
Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market: Research Scope
Global Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) Market, by Application
- Consumer Goods
- Medical & health
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.