Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF): Introduction
- Medium density fiberboard (MDF) is produced with the help of a wide range of lignocellulosic fibers, including agrofibers, recycled wood, and other low-value wood by-products. MDF or dry-process fiberboards have fiber moisture content of less than 20% at the stage of forming and density ≥ 450 kg/m3. These boards are essentially produced under heat and pressure, with the addition of synthetic adhesives.
- Technical innovations and improvements in the production process have resulted in the manufacture of medium density fiberboards with superior durability and extended lifespan. Superior adhesion techniques with the use of low formaldehyde resins such as phenol-formaldehyde have led to product innovations in the industry.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market
- Increase in demand for MDF in furniture and extensive use of these boards in building materials are factors driving the MDF market. This is prompting companies to increase production of these boards. Additionally, easy availability of raw materials is anticipated to boost the demand for MDF in the near future.
- The global MDF market is witnessing technological advancements. Companies are constantly striving to develop new and better ways to manufacture these fiberboards. Development of new manufacturing processes of MDF and applications is estimated to propel the market. However, the threat of substitution from high density fiberboards is projected to hamper the market.
Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF): Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global MDF market can be divided into cabinet; flooring; furniture; molding, door, and millwork; packaging system; and others. The furniture segment is estimated to expand at a considerable pace due to the rise in demand for these fiberboards in furniture applications across the globe.
Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF): Recent Developments
- In July 2019, ARAUCO signed an agreement to acquire Prime-Line Inc., a privately-held manufacturer of MDF molding and millwork products. The acquisition strengthened ARAUCO’s presence in the molding industry in North America.
- In January 2019, ARAUCO signed an agreement for the purchase of MASISA’s industrial assets in Mexico, which involved two industrial complexes located in Durango and Zitácuaro
Covid-19 Impact on Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market
- The MDF market has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), COVID-19 impact has delayed or disrupted projects in the U.S. Around 16% of the projects in the U.S. are likely to experience a shortage of materials, equipment, or parts, while 11% of the projects are likely to experience a shortage of craft workers, including subcontractors. Around 18% of the projects are estimated to experience a shortage of government workers, while 8% of the projects are likely to be disrupted by an infected worker, who may have a potential to infect the worksite. Governments across the world have imposed complete lockdowns to combat the pandemic. Under these lockdowns, economic activities, except emergency services such as medical shops, supermarkets, hospitals, and a few online stores, have come to a temporary standstill. This has adversely affected the global demand for MDF.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market
- In terms of region, the global MDF market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is projected to constitute key share of the market during the forecast period. The MDF market in Asia Pacific is also likely to expand a considerable pace owing to the increase in demand for these fiberboards in furniture & building material applications in the region.
- Middle East & Africa is likely to be an attractive region of the global MDF market during the forecast period due to the rise in demand for these fiberboards in interior decoration applications in the region
- Consumption of MDF has been rising in China, owing to the significant growth of high-rise buildings in the country, since the last five years. According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, 56 high-rise buildings (over 200 meters in height) were completed in the country in 2019.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market
The global MDF market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global MDF market include:
- FRITZ EGGER GmbH & Co. OG
- Kronospan Limited
- YongLin Group Joint Stock Co., Ltd.
- SWISS KRONO GROUP
- Sonae Arauco
- Nordbord Inc.
Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market: Research Scope
Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market, by Application
- Molding, Door, and Millwork
- Packaging System
Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market, by End-use
Global Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.