Medical Suction Catheters Market: Introduction
- A suction catheter is a medical device used to extract bodily secretions, such as mucus or saliva from the upper airway. A suction catheter connects to a suction machine or collection canister.
- An ideal catheter is one that optimizes secretion removal and minimizes tissue trauma. Specific features of the catheters include the material of construction, frictional resistance, size (length and diameter), shape, and position of the aspirating holes.
- An opening at the proximal end of the catheter to allow the entrance of room air, neutralizing the vacuum without disconnecting the vacuum apparatus, is ideal. The proximal hole should be larger than the catheter lumen. Tracheal suctioning can occur only with occlusion of this proximal opening.
Key Drivers, Restrains, and Opportunities of Global Medical Suction Catheters Market
- Increase in cases of chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma, acute lower respiratory tract infections, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a major factor boosting the growth of the global market. According to a report by World Health Organization (WHO), around 262 million people across the world were affected by asthma, causing nearly 461,000 fatalities in 2019.
- Medical suction devices play a crucial role in several medical procedures such as removing saliva, mucus, and other fluids from the respiratory track with the help of a vacuum. Hence, rise in prevalence of respiratory illnesses is likely to spur demand for these devices in the next few years.
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market Segmentation
- The global medical suction catheters market can be segmented based on product, application, portability, and end-user
- In terms of product, the global medical suction catheters market can be classified into AC-powered, battery-powered, dual-powered, and manually operated
- Based on application, the global medical suction catheters market can be categorized into surgical, airway clearing, and research & diagnostic. The surgical segment accounted for major share of the global market in 2020. Medical suction catheters are mostly used in trauma, respiratory emergencies, and other surgeries.
- In terms of portability, the global medical suction catheters market can be bifurcated into wall-mounted and hand held. Wall-mounted suction devices are generally used in hospital settings, dental offices, and other places where patients are unlikely to need transport. Many hospitals position a wall-mounted suction unit in every patient room.
- Based on end-user, the global medical suction catheters market can be divided into hospitals, clinics, and others. The hospitals segment accounted for major share of the global market in 2020 because suction catheters are commonly used in hospital operation theaters.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Medical Suction Catheters Market
- North America is expected to account for major share of the global medical suction catheters market owing to high prevalence of chronic respiratory ailments.
- The medical suction catheters market in Asia Pacific is likely to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to increase in number of surgical procedures due to rising medical tourism.
Key Players Operating in Global Medical Suction Catheters Market
Major players operating in the global medical suction catheters market are:
- Medline Industries
- Pennine Healthcare
- Smiths Medical
- B. Braun
- Merit Medical Systems
- QualiMed Innovative Medizinprodukte GmbH
- PFM Medical
- Lepu Medical
- Halyard Health
- Dynarex Corporation
- Amsino International
- Other prominent players
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market: Research Scope
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market, by Product
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market, by Application
- Airway Clearing
- Research & Diagnostics
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market, by Portability
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market, by End-user
Global Medical Suction Catheters Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!