Meat starter culture is the addition of viable microorganisms directly to meat for maintaining the microbiological quality and development of color, texture, and flavor of meat products. Such starter cultures help improve keeping or storing quality of the meat while maintaining the nutritional properties which enhances consumer acceptability of the meat products. Meat starter cultures mainly include maturation starters and surface starters for application in fresh ground meats, cooked meats, dry and semi-cured meats. Microorganisms used in meat starter cultures include lactic acid bacteria, gram-positive catalase-positive cocci, fungi, and yeasts that are not harmful to health and have the ability to tolerate salt and nitrite. Rapid expansion of meat industry in various regions across the globe has been largely influencing the development of meat starter culture market at the global level.
Meat Starter Culture Market – Notable Developments
Chr. Hansen, Kerry, FRUTAROM, PROQUIGA, Canada Compound, D.M.Dunningham, Stuffers Supply Company, Danisco (DuPont), SOYUZSNAB, Galactic, Sacco System, Lallemand, BIOVITEC, DnR Sausage Supplies, Caldwell, Lactina, Lb Bulgaricum, Angel Yeast, Biocatalysts Limited, BIOVITEC, Lesaffre, Dohler, Csk Food Enrichment, Natren, and Wyeast Laboratories are among the key players participating in the meat starter culture market.
- In January 2019, Frutarom, a subsidiary of International Flavors & Fragrances Inc., announced its complete acquisition of 60% of Thailand-based The Mighty Co. Ltd., a leading provider of savory solutions in the country. The German-based company had a great reputation of its ‘CombiSafe starter cultures’ launched in June 2016, which enable meat processors and manufacturers to significantly reduce Listeria monocytogenes in salami and raw fermented sausages.
- In September 2018, DuPont Nutrition & Health announced to present its new YO-MIX® M11 starter culture in Food Ingredient Asia 2018. In April, it launched a new line of DuPontTM Danisco® enzymes within the POWERBake® range for the bakery industry.
- In March 2018, Chr. Hansen, one of the leading meat starter culture market players, launched DVS White Flora, consisting three new starter cultures designed for white cheese which help provide rich flavor, more flexibility, and consistent quality for cheese makers. According to the company, with DVS white flora, it is possible to secure high-quality white cheese that taste delicious.
Meat Starter Culture Market Dynamics
Meat starter culture market is expected to earn significant traction in next few years, owing to the ability of such cultures to develop color, flavor, and provide safety to the meat products. Ever-rising global population has led to a surge in meat consumption, resulting in increased production capacity and supply of meat, which in turn is likely to translate into demand for meat starter cultures. Many meat retailers are focusing on introducing their brands of processed meat products which are cost-effective, ready-to-cook, and can be stored for a longer period of time. This is considered to be one of the important factors impacting the growth of meat starter culture market. Increasing awareness among wide range of population regarding their protein intake in the daily diet has influenced growth of global meat industry and eventually the expansion of meat starter culture market.
Factors such as adoption of new lifestyle trends and food habits on the account of various mass urbanization and rapid industrialization in several countries has increased the demand for processed meat products which is expected to bode well with the growth of meat starter culture market. In addition, advances in studies of flavor genesis and gene technology have improved hygienic suitability of starter cultures which may promote the growth of meat starter culture market.
Meat Starter Culture Market Segmentation
By type, the meat starter culture market can be segmented into:
- Maturation Starters
- Surface Starters
By application, the meat starter culture market can be segmented into:
- Fermented Meat
- Starter Culture in Food Industry
- Application of Starter Culture
- Meat Curing Starter Culture
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.