Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market: Overview
- Marine seawater desalination systems use reverse osmosis (RO) technology to treat seawater source into fresh, safe water which can be used for drinking, bathing, food preparation, deck and exterior wash-downs, and a variety of other applications. These systems use proven technology to give reliable performance and meet the demanding requirements of the marine environment. Marine seawater desalination systems can be used on yachts, cruises as well as boats.
Key Drivers of Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market
- Rising demand for clean water on the marine, decreasing capital and operational costs of desalination, and the need to replace older facilities with energy-efficient processes are the major factors driving the marine seawater desalination systems market
- Water reuse in maritime industry has become an increasingly important part of water resources management around the world which is driving the demand for the marine seawater desalination systems
To clarify your doubts about the report on Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market, Request a Brochure here
High Cost of Technology Likely to Hamper Market
- The marine seawater desalination systems market is concentrated as the manufacturing technology of marine seawater desalination systems is relatively expensive. A considerable amount of CO2 is generated during marine seawater desalination process that increases carbon footprints which is likely to hinder the marine seawater desalination systems market. The effect of brine or desalination concentrate disposal is considered to be an utmost environmental concern. The brine concentration widely varies across each geography based on nature of concentrate, the degree of dilution, and surrounding aquatic biota. Strict marine regulations regarding desalinated brine discharge are anticipated to hamper the market during the forecast period.
Reverse Osmosis Projected to be Dominant Segment
- Reverse osmosis is a widely used method for seawater & brackish marine seawater desalination. The segment accounted for major share of the global marine seawater desalination systems market in 2018. In reverse osmosis separation technique, water is passed through high pressure from the concentrated to diluted side through a semi-permeable membrane which retains the solute such as salts, unwanted materials etc. Reverse osmosis can be used for a wide range of applications such as ultrapure water, boiler feed water, and wastewater treatment among which desalination of seawater and brackish water being a major application.
- Multi-stage flash (MSF) distillation is a thermal process for seawater desalination. MSF is slowly being replaced by membrane-based technologies such as reverse osmosis primarily due to high consumption of energy during the process. Multi-stage flash distillation method is also known to produce highly pure water.
Middle East & Africa Expected to Hold Large Share of Market
- In terms of region, Middle East & Africa dominated the marine seawater desalination systems market in 2018. Increasing demand for marine seawater desalination systems in Middle East and Africa is expected to drive the market for more advanced marine seawater desalination systems. Multi-stage flash distillation, which is one of the oldest processes for producing potable water, is being adopted across the Middle East & Africa up to a high extent. The Middle East & Africa shipbuilding and repairing industry is likely to witness the least impact from the global financial crisis.
- Countries such as Saudi Arabia, India, and Spain, are spending a significant amount of money in establishing desalination plants on ships, cruise, boats, and others. to meet the increasing demand for water
- Europe region dominated the shipping sector. Recently Asia Pacific region is overtaking Europe in shipping sector. As Europe has a larger shipping sector which is likely to boost the demand of the marine seawater desalination systems in the region.
- In the North America region, the U.S. represents the world’s largest cruise sector. A large number of people in the U.S. travel through cruise for recreational activities. Marine seawater desalination systems are used on cruises for removal of salt (sodium chloride) and other minerals from the sea water to make it suitable for human consumption.
- In Europe, the U.K. and Germany are the leading sub-regions of the cruise sector. Europe region is overtaking North America in terms of number of cruise passengers. Germany is a highly growing passenger transport market. Rapidly growing cruise sector in Germany is driving the demand of the marine seawater desalination systems.
- South Korea and China lead the global shipbuilding industry. Shipyards in developing countries such as Vietnam, India, Malaysia, and Brazil are witnessing an emerging trend in recent years. There is also increasing demand for shipping outfits to invest in shipyards to have some involvement in the supply chain. The growing shipbuilding in developing countries is driving the marine seawater desalination systems market.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Key Players Operating in Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market
The marine seawater desalination systems market is highly fragmented with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 45% to 50% share of the global market. Key players operating in the marine seawater desalination systems market include:
- SUEZ Water
- Doosan Corporation
- AMPAC USA
- APPLIED MEMBRANES, INC.
- Fisia Italimpianti S.p.A.
- Hyflux Ltd.
Global Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market: Research Scope
Global Marine Seawater Desalination Systems Market, by Technology
- Reverse osmosis (RO)
- Multi-stage flash distillation (MSF)
- Multiple-effect distillation (MED)
- Electrodialysis (ED)
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.