Mandelic Acid: Introduction
- Mandelic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. It is a white crystalline solid that is soluble in water and organic solvents. Mandelic acid is an aromatic compound. It is a key ingredient in medicine and cosmetic industries. It is extracted from bitter almonds and is used as a drug and antimicrobial in personal care and pharmaceutical products.
- Mandelic acid is one of the beneficial ingredients that is gentle on the skin and includes ingredients that help resolve specific skin issues such as hyperpigmentation, acne, skin texture, and effects of aging, thereby improving the overall skin texture and appearance
- It is used in production of chemicals, which are employed in various industries including electronics during the manufacturing process
Key Drivers and Restraints of Mandelic Acid Market
- Mandelic acid improves the appearance of skin, as it possesses antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It meets consumer need for personal care products, as it helps in the removal of dead skin, repairing of damaged skin, treating freckles, and developing an anti-aging method. Thus, increase in consumer demand for personal care products is boosting the demand for mandelic acid.
- Mandelic acid is used as one of the key raw materials in dye and pigment manufacturing in the textile industry. Rise in production and distribution of textiles is boosting the demand for mandelic acid.
- Mandelic acid is used in the production of fine chemical reagents, which are used in various industries including electronics during the manufacturing process. Rise in advancement of electronic products is driving the mandelic acid market.
- Mandelic acid can be used with methenamine to produce mandelamine, which is often used to treat urinary tract infections (UTI). It used as an essential ingredient for the manufacture of various medicines.
- A few individuals can experience side effects of mandelic acid. It might not suit every individual’s skin. This is likely to hamper the mandelic acid market.
COVID-19 Impact on Mandelic Acid Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of mandelic acid came to rest as several governments and private sector businesses ceased operations due to the recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of mandelic acid came to a halt across the globe due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc., thus resulting in contraction of the mandelic acid market
Mandelic Acid Market Segmentation, by Type
- Based on type, the mandelic acid market can be categorized into DL mandelic acid, L mandelic acid, and D mandelic acid
- The DL mandelic acid segment holds major share of the global mandelic acid market. DL mandelic acid is extensively used in cosmetic and personal care products due to its antibacterial property that rejuvenates damaged and aged skin.
- L mandelic acid is used extensively in the pharmaceutical industry for the manufacture of various medicines
Mandelic Acid Market Segmentation, by Application
- Based on application, the mandelic acid market can be segregated into pharmaceuticals, cosmetics & personal care, API synthesis, textiles & dye intermediates, and others
- Cosmetics & personal care is the largest growing segment, as mandelic acid is widely used in personal care & cosmetics products owing to its ability to exfoliate and rejuvenate skin. Furthermore, it is used as an exfoliating agent before cosmetic surgeries.
North America Holds Major Share of Mandelic Acid Market
Based on region, the market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Demand for mandelic acid is expected to rise in North America due to increase in advancements in the pharmaceuticals & drug manufacturing industry
- Adoption of personal care products due to rising consumer concern about hygiene, skincare, and hair care is expected to boost the mandelic acid market in Europe
- Dye intermediates used in the textile industry comprises mandelic acid. Hence, expansion of the textile industry in Asia Pacific is estimated to propel the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Mandelic Acid Market
The mandelic acid market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in global mandelic acid market include:
- Hanhong Group
- Evonik Industries AG
- BASF SE
- Sigma Aldrich
- Alfa Aesar
- Biosynth Carbosynth
- Runder Pharmda
- Xinhetai Science and Technology
- Smart Chemicals
- R.L. Chemicals
- Keyuan Biopharma
- Shengyu Chemical
Mandelic Acid Market: Research Scope
Mandelic Acid Market, by Type
- DL Mandelic Acid
- L Mandelic Acid
- D Mandelic Acid
Mandelic Acid Market, by Application
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
- Textiles & Dye Intermediates
Global Mandelic Acid Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!