Growing global consumption of mackerel is largely attributable to its nutrient content, especially the rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Although the mackerel should be eaten in the day of capture, several regions around the world cured or pickled it with large amount of salts and vinegar, allowing it to be sold widely. In addition, emergence of canning, refrigeration, and other preservations methods enabled preservation of mackerel, making it economically important fish across the globe. Rise in the demand for canned fish products along with increasing consumption of these products for their high-quality protein, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids has been directly influencing the development of mackerel market.
Mackerel Market – Notable Developments
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC, Mowi ASA, Thai Union Group PCL, Maruha Nichiro Corporation, NISSUI, Generale Conserve SpA, Killybegs Seafood, John Nagle Co., Toyota Tsusho Foods Corporation, King Oscar, Euclid Fish Company, Caley Fisheries Limited, Sinopesca Group, Orkla Foods Norge, Auckland Fish Market, Etosha Fishing Company, Chicken of the Sea International, Crown Prince, and GuangDong GuangZhou Canned Foods are among the leading players in the mackerel market.
- In November 2018, Orkla Foods Norge (merger of Rieber & Søn and Stabburet) collaborated with a packaging solutions company Ardagh Group to develop 60 different designs for Stabburet mackerel fillet product. Apart from the brand’s yellow background, each design will represent a different town or place, a way of life on Norway, or an aspect of people’s behavior.
- In August 2018, King Oscar released a new lineup of canned mackerel which has mild taste and powerful punch of nutrition. The new mackerel fillet recipes include Mediterranean-style fillets with jalapeno peppers, skinless and boneless fillets in olive oil, and mackerel with olive oil and lemon.
- In July 2018, Etosha Fishing Company, a key player in the mackerel market, introduced two new line of products in its Efuta Maasbanker range including Efuta mince in tomato sauce and Efuta in curry sauce. According to the company, the other flavor Efuta in tomato and chili sauce was first launched in 2013 and has so far sold over 4 million cans in Namibia, making it necessary to expand the brand by introducing new flavors.
Mackerel Market Dynamics
Rising consumer awareness regarding the health benefits of fish in their diet is considered to be a key factor impacting the growth of mackerel market. Mackerel is also gaining speedy momentum in fisheries market, owing to consumer inclination toward healthy meals including protein-rich mackerel diet, which in turn is expected to strengthen the market growth. With escalating number of health conscious population and fish benefits in increasing bone strength, boosting immunity and improving cognition and heart health, mackerel market is likely to earn high traction in the coming years. Further, consumers are becoming more aware of benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in their diet which will continue to favor growth of the mackerel market.
Online Sales Channel to Take Center Stage in Mackerel Market
Although brick and mortar stores account for a strong position in the mackerel market, rising demand for canned fish products across globe along with emerging trends of e-commerce business is foreseen to be highly impactful on the growth of mackerel market. Growing number of online shoppers on the account of convenient shopping experience and easy product searches in e-commerce sites has influenced key mackerel market players to sell their products online and increase their profitability. Increasing focus on online customers, venture into the new retail format, and product innovations are likely to create lucrative opportunities of players in the mackerel market.
Mackerel Market Segmentation
Based on species type, the mackerel market has been segmented into:
- Atka Mackerel
- Spanish Mackerel
- Horse Mackerel
- King Mackerel
- Atlantic Mackerel
- Pacific Mackerel
Based on catch type, the mackerel market has been segmented into:
- Wild Catch
Based on form, the mackerel market has been segmented into:
- Fresh Mackerel
- Frozen and Processed Mackerel
- Fresh Mackerel Fillets
- Frozen Mackerel Fillets
- Mackerel Nutrition
- Mackerel as Food
- Mackerel Content
- Canned Fish and Seafood
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.