Long-acting Beta-agonists Market: Introduction
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive disease defined by growing airflow restriction and respiratory symptoms, which are frequently accompanied by chronic comorbidities, resulting in a major burden for the patient.
- Specific pharmaceutical therapy for COPD aids in the prevention and control of symptoms, frequency & intensity of exacerbations, improvement of health status, and improvement of exercise tolerance. Inhaled bronchodilators, such as 2-agonists and muscarinic antagonists, enhance lung function by changing airway smooth muscle tone; however, these have an effect on the peripheral airways. These decrease air trapping and enhance lung emptying, lowering lung volumes, and improving lung function.
- Since the late 1990s, inhaled long-acting 2-agonists (LABAs) such as formoterol and salmeterol have been approved for the treatment of COPD. These enhance lung function, symptoms of shortness of breath and activity restriction, health-related quality of life, and reduce the number of exacerbations. However, not all patients obtain clinically relevant improvements in symptoms or health-related quality of life. Moreover, LABAs have a good safety profile and are not linked with an increased risk of respiratory mortality. However, side effects such as palpitations and tremor could restrict the tolerable dose. The half-life of formoterol and salmeterol is 12 hours.
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market: Drivers, Restraints, Trends
- Rise in prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases is a key factor boosting the growth of the global market. Additionally, adoption of combination therapies such as formoterol and salmeterol has increased, as these have shown significant improvements in lung function compared to ipratropium bromide and theophylline.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases are caused due to exposure to air pollution, working with chemicals, dust & fumes, breathing secondhand smoke, and a history of childhood respiratory infection or a genetic condition called alpha-1 deficiency. This is projected to boost the growth of the global long-acting beta-agonists market during the forecast period.
- According to the American Lung Association, about 85% to 90% of all COPDs are caused by cigarette smoking. More than 7,000 chemicals are created when a cigarette burns, many of which are harmful. The toxins in cigarette smoke has dangerous effects that weakens lungs' defense against infections, narrows air passages and causes swelling in air tubes, and destroys air sacs, which in turn cause COPDs.
- Long-acting beta-agonist usage is increasing across several industries, with significant growth in hospitals, clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers, as well as increased environmental concerns. This boosts the growth of the global long-acting beta-agonists market.
- Rise in disposable income, increase in awareness, and surge in geriatric population are anticipated to fuel the growth of the global market
- Surge in usage of bronchodilators for the treatment of cystic fibrosis augments the global long-acting beta-agonists market
- However, adverse effects associated with bronchodilators and government restrictions regarding the safety and efficacy of bronchodilators are expected to restrain the global market. Nevertheless, continuous R&D initiatives on bronchodilator are expected to drive the long-acting beta-agonists market.
North America Accounts for Major Share of Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market
- North America accounted for the largest share of the global long-acting beta-agonists market in 2020, followed by Europe. Rise in prevalence of cystic fibrosis and increase in government initiatives to raise awareness about COPD, asthma, and other chronic respiratory illnesses contribute to the region's large market share. Moreover, presence of top players such as AstraZeneca and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. drives the market in the region.
- However, the market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. This is attributed to increase in patients with respiratory disorders and considerable improvement in the health care sector in the region.
Key Players in Long-acting Beta-agonists Market
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Merck KGaA
- Mylan N.V.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- AstraZeneca plc
- Pfizer, Inc.
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market: Research Scope
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market, by Drug Type
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market, by Indication
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market, by Route of Administration
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Long-acting Beta-agonists Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of LATAM
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.