Lithium Niobate Modulators: Introduction
- Lithium niobate is a compound of lithium, niobium, and oxygen. Its chemical formula is LiNiO3. Lithium niobate crystals is an important material used in the manufacture of mobile phones, piezoelectric sensors, optical waveguides, and optical modulators.
- Modulators made of lithium niobate are considered the backbone of modern telecommunications, as they convert electronic data into optical information in fiber optic system.
Key Drivers of Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market
- Optical fibers facilitate prompt and deep connectivity. Thus, they are largely preferred, owing to limitations of ordinary cables, especially those which span the oceans or which are spread beneath the city streets. In the optical fiber technology, it is important that signal conversion between electricity and light waves takes place at a high speed. Thus, an electro-optical modulator is a critical element of this type of communication system.
- Amongst all electro-optical modulators, lithium niobate modulator is highly preferred due to its robustness and high modulation rate
- Optical fiber cables are preferred in various communication applications such as telecom, utilities, CATVs, military, and industrial, owing to their advantages such as increased bandwidth, immunity against electromagnetic interference, electrical isolation, and data security. Thus, rising demand for optical fiber cables is expected to drive the global lithium niobate modulator market during the forecast period.
To get glimpse of what our report offers, ask for a report brochure
Lithium Niobate Modulators used for Millimeter Wave Imaging to Witness High Demand
- Earlier, use of lithium niobate modulators was largely limited to telecommunication applications. However, with increasing R&D investments in the technology, these modulators are being used in several other systems.
- For example, Harvard University has developed an electro-optic phase modulator that can work up to 220 GHz. It can be used for passive mmW imaging purpose at 77 GHz and beyond.
Bulky and Expensive Lithium Niobate Modulators to Hamper Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market
- Conventional lithium niobate modulators consume high power. They need drive voltage of 3–5 V, while a CMOS circuit requires drive voltage of around 1 V. Owing to this factor, separate power-consuming amplifiers are necessary to drive lithium niobate modulators, rigorously controlling chip-scale optoelectronic integration. This also makes the system bulky and expensive. This factor is projected to hinder the global lithium niobate modulator market during the forecast period.
- However, owing to rising research and development activities, lithium niobate modulators with CMOS-compatible drive voltage and low on-chip optical loss are expected to be manufactured in the mid to long term. Thus, the impact of this restraint is expected to significantly reduce by the end of the forecast period.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, ask for a customized report
Asia Pacific to Hold a Major Share of Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global lithium niobate modulator market from 2019 to 2027, owing to adoption of optical fiber cables by large-sized network service providers in the region, such as Verizon and AT&T
- Also, the market in Asia Pacific is expected to register the maximum growth rate amongst all regions during the forecast period, owing to increasing preference for optical fiber cables for use in 3G and LTE networks and continuously growing penetration of fixed broadband service in households. Since optical fiber communication systems are integrated with lithium niobate modulators, rise in the demand for optical fiber communication systems would boost the demand for lithium niobate modulators in the next few years.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global lithium niobate modulator market is comparatively niche, with the presence of a few international as well as regional players in the market. A few of the key players operating in the global lithium niobate modulator market are:
- Fujitsu Optical Components Ltd
- iXblue Group
- EOSPACE, Inc.
- Lumentum Operations LLC
- Gooch & Housego plc
- Fabrinet Inc.
- Beijing Panwoo Integrated Optoelectronic Inc.
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market: Research Scope
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by Type
- 10 GHz
- 20 GHz
- 40 GHz
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by Wavelength Window
- 800 nm
- 1060 nm
- 1300 nm
- 1550 nm
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by Modulator Cross-section
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by Application
- Phase Keyed Optical Communications
- Coherent Communication Links
- Spectrum Broadening
- Interferometric Sensing
- Quantum Key Distribution
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by End-use Industry
- Aerospace & Defense
- Sensing & Instruments
Global Lithium Niobate Modulator Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.