Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market: Introduction
A lithium-ion battery is a type of rechargeable battery wherein lithium-ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode. It uses an intercalated lithium compound as an electrode material. Lithium-ion batteries are commonly used as rechargeable batteries in portable electronics, due to their high energy density, insignificant memory effect, and low self-discharge. The key component used in these batteries is lithium cobalt oxide, which offers high energy density, but entails safety risks. Lithium iron phosphate, lithium-ion manganese oxide, and lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide batteries offer lower energy density but longer lifespan. They involve less possibility of fire or explosion.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Key Drivers of Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market
- Demand for lithium-ion batteries is increasing, owing to their extensive use in consumer electronics products, as these devices are highly dependent on a portable power source for better performance and high reliability. This factor is driving the global lithium-ion battery materials market. Application of lithium-ion batteries in the automotive sector in plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) and battery electric vehicles (BEVs) improves the efficiency and reduces the maintenance cost of these vehicles. This is also expected to fuel the demand for lithium-ion battery materials during the forecast period. Increasing awareness regarding use of lithium-ion batteries is also one of the driving factors for the global lithium-ion battery materials market. For instance, various organizations such as China Association of Automobile Manufacturers and Advanced Automotive Battery Conference have taken initiatives to raise awareness regarding use and benefits of electric vehicles (EVs). This, in turn, is propelling the global lithium-ion battery materials market.
- Lithium-ion batteries are applied in material handling equipment, cutting machines, drillers, and crane pulley systems, due to their higher energy density and longer battery backup compared to the conventional batteries. This, in turn, is anticipated to drive the global lithium-ion battery materials market during the forecast period. Decreasing prices of lithium-ion batteries lead to use of these batteries in other sectors. This can create immense opportunities for the global lithium-ion batteries market between 2019 and 2027.
Overheating of Lithium-ion Batteries to Hamper Market
- Safety concerns caused due to overheating of lithium-ion batteries and insufficient charging infrastructure in the automotive industry are likely to hamper the global lithium-ion battery materials market from 2019 to 2027
- Cathode material in lithium-ion batteries is a major component, which determines energy density of the cell. The working mechanism of lithium-ion batteries is based on intercalation and deintercalation compounds, where lithium-ions from the cathode are transmitted to the anode during charging of the battery and they are extracted during discharge of the battery. Anode materials account for 10% - 18% of costs of materials of lithium-ion batteries.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
North America to hold a Major Share of Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market
- North America is expected to hold the leading share of the global lithium-ion battery materials market during the forecast period, owing to increasing production of electric and hybrid vehicles in the region. The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand rapidly in the next few years, due to continuous growth of consumer electronics and automotive sectors in the region. China is anticipated to hold a leading share of the lithium-ion battery materials market in Asia Pacific in the near future, followed by South Korea and Japan.
- Consumer spending in China and India is increasing due to urbanization and increasing earnings of households. This is driving the demand for new consumer electronics devices. This, in turn, increases the demand for lithium-ion battery materials in these countries. Strict environment-related rules regarding carbon emissions in North America and Europe are likely to create lucrative opportunities for the lithium-ion battery materials market in these regions during the forecast period. Due to rise in environment-related issues, Europe is witnessing a shift toward electric vehicles to control carbon emissions from the automotive sector.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global lithium-ion battery materials market is highly concentrated, with the top manufacturers accounting for 30%–40% of the market share. A few of the key players operating in the global lithium-ion battery materials market are:
- Panasonic Corporation
- SAMSUNG SDI CO., LTD.
- Hitachi Chemical Co., Ltd.
- GS Yuasa International Ltd.
- Johnson Controls
- Toshiba Corporation
- BYD Company Ltd.
Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market: Research Scope
Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market, by Type
- Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt
- Lithium Iron Phosphate
- Lithium Cobalt Oxide
- Lithium Titanate Oxide
- Lithium Manganese Oxide
- Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide
Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market, by Component
- Electrolytic Solution
Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Electronics
- Aerospace & Defense
Global Lithium-ion Battery Materials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.