Lithium Battery Components Market: Overview
- A lithium battery has four major components: cathode material, anode material, separator, and electrolyte
- Lithium batteries generate electricity through chemical reactions of lithium. Lithium is inserted into the battery and the space for lithium is called cathode. In the cathode of a lithium battery, lithium oxide is used as an active material. The cathode determines the capacity and average voltage of a lithium battery.
- Similarly, the anode substrate is also coated with an active material. Anode stores and releases lithium ions from the cathode, allowing the passage of current through an external circuit.
- Electrolyte serves as a medium that enables the movement of only lithium ions between the cathode and the anode
- The separator functions as a physical barrier keeping the cathode and the anode apart
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Lithium Battery Components Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Lithium Battery Components Market
- Factors such as boom in the demand for electric vehicles and rapid technological advancements are expected to fuel the demand for lithium batteries during the forecast period. This, in turn, is projected to drive the global lithium battery components market between 2019 and 2027.
- Increasing use of smart devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and digital cameras, wherein lithium batteries are employed, is expected to drive the demand for lithium battery components during the forecast period.
Cathode Segment to Expand Rapidly
- The cathode segment of the lithium battery components market witnessed rapid growth in 2018. It is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period also.
- Cathode is the most important component of a lithium battery, as it is a source of lithium ions and it determines the capacity and average voltage of a lithium battery
- Cathode materials are widely used in batteries along with several other carbon-related materials, such as carbon nanotubes (CNTs), carbon nanofiber, and meso-cellular carbon foam. Cathode enhances the decomposition of electrolytes during battery discharging. Due to this, the demand for cathode materials is increasing and the cathode segment is expected to dominate the global lithium battery components market during the forecast period.
Consumer Electronics Segment to Dominate Global Lithium Battery Components Market
- The consumer electronics segment accounted for a major share of the global lithium battery components market in 2018 and it is expected to remain dominant throughout the forecast period
- Lithium batteries are employed in consumer electronics devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. Continuous advancements in the consumer electronics sector and support from governments and associations for the adoption of lithium batteries are factors boosting the global lithium battery industry. This, in turn, is driving the global lithium battery components market.
- Increase in the demand for electric vehicles across the globe is also expected to drive the global lithium battery components market during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Hold a Prominent Share of Global Lithium Battery Components Market
- Geographically, the global lithium battery components market can be divided into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific accounted for a major share of the global lithium battery components market in 2018 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- Rising Internet penetration, increasing disposable income, changing lifestyle, and technological advancements in developing economies, such as China and India, are augmenting sales of portable electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and digital cameras. Increase in sales of portable electronic devices is fueling the demand for lithium batteries in Asia Pacific. This, in turn, is driving the lithium battery components market in the region.
- China holds a prominent share of the lithium battery components market in Asia Pacific and it is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period. This dominance can be attributed to shift of manufacturing operations by automobile and electronics manufacturers toward China in order to reduce labor and logistics costs and gain access to uninterrupted supply of raw materials.
- In addition to this, in India, consumers are shifting from traditional automobiles toward electric vehicles. This shift can be attributed to rising awareness amongst consumers about reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and low running and maintenance costs associated with electric vehicles.
- However, tax incentives and subsidies offered by several governments, such as the Government of India, for purchase of electric vehicles are fueling the demand for electric vehicles globally. This, in turn, is projected to drive the global lithium battery components market during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Lithium Battery Components Market here
Key Players Operating in the Market:
Prominent players operating in the global lithium battery components market are:
- Panasonic Corporation
- Samsung SDI Co., Ltd
- LG Chem
- Automotive Energy Supply Corporation
- LITEC Co., Ltd
- A123 Systems, LLC
- Toshiba Corporation
- Hitachi Chemical Co., Ltd.
- China BAK Battery Co., Ltd.
- Johnson Controls International Plc
- BYD Company Ltd
Global Lithium Battery Components Market: Research Scope
Global Lithium Battery Components Market, by Type
- Cathode Material
- Anode Material
Global Lithium Battery Components Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Electronics
- Grid Energy
- Power Tools
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.