Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction: Introduction
- Liquid applied membranes is a low viscosity liquid-based coating generally applied over various substrates including asphalt, bitumen, and concrete. Liquid applied membranes provide a coating that cures to form a rubber-like elastomeric waterproof membranes.
- It is cost-effective solution, especially for repair and renovation of exposed roofs. Liquid applied membranes fill the gaps & cracks in a substrate. They are primarily used for waterproofing and roofing applications. Application of this product is not only limited to roofing but also for waterproofing of basements, roads, terraces, podiums, bridge decks, etc.
- Based on coating type, the global liquid applied membranes market can be segmented into polyurethane, polyurea, epoxy, acrylic and others
Key Drivers of Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market
- Liquid applied membranes are extensively utilized for renovation activities, as compared to that in new construction. Usage of low quality construction material in the past coupled by poor maintenance of buildings is fueling the demand for repair & rehabilitation, which can be resolved by liquid applied membranes. According to an article published by Forbes, 80% of the 137 million homes in the U.S. are currently at least 20 years old, and 40% are at least 50 years old. Cost of renovation & repair of houses is considerably less as compared to that of buying new houses. These factors are likely to augment the demand for liquid applied membranes for construction in the next few years.
- The construction industry in countries in the Middle East and Japan has witnessed expansion at a rapid pace owing to increase in its construction activities for global events such as FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar, World EXPO 2020 in Dubai, and Olympics 2021 in Japan. Rapid expansion of the construction industry in GCC can be ascribed to the Government of Saudi Arabia’s increased focus on repair, renovation, and construction of commercial buildings and infrastructure to boost tourism in the country. Construction of hotels has increased in the sub-region to cater to the need for affordable homes for tourists of all over the world while attending such events. This is estimated to also fuel the demand for construction materials, thereby driving the liquid applied membranes for construction market in the GCC sub-region during the forecast period.
- Demand for housing has been increasing year-on-year in India and China owing to a rise in the population of these countries. Governments of several countries such as China, India, Bahrain, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam have launched schemes to provide homes for their lower income citizens. In 2015, the Government of India launched its affordable housing scheme called “Housing for All by 2022” with an overall objective of providing a) housing for slum dwellers with participation of private developers using land as a resource, b) promoting affordable housing for weaker sections through credit-linked subsidy, c) focusing on partnership with public & private sector for affordable housing, and d) providing subsidy for house construction or enhancement. These schemes or strategies are estimated to propel liquid applied membranes for construction market.
Key Restraint of Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market
- In low-income countries, coal tar is utilized for waterproofing applications on roofs and roads owing to its low cost, as compared to that of polyurethane or polyurea coating. This can hamper the liquid applied membranes for construction market. However, exposure to toxic fumes released from coal tar can be harmful to human health.
Covid-19 Impact on Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has a severe impact on construction industry. The construction industry is witnessing supply chain disruptions due to factory closures and transportation restrictions. Several countries such as China and India imposed lockdowns during the first half of the year to contain the pandemic, thereby restricting the movement of people and gatherings. The restrictions put in place by governments have halted all construction activity and most of the business activity across their respective countries. However, several governments have started to ease lockdown restrictions on construction activities. This is expected to revive the overall construction industry in the second half of the year.
Global Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of geography, the liquid applied membranes for construction market in Asia Pacific has been expanding at a considerable pace owing to the increasing investment in infrastructure development by countries such as China and India. In 2019, National Development and Reform Commission of the People's Republic of China approved 26 infrastructure projects with total expected investment of US$ 142 Bn. The Government of China plans to diversify its economy by building infrastructure projects in all provinces of the country in order to counter the country’s slowing economy growth owing to its dependence on exports and the manufacturing sector. This rise in construction activities in China is boosting the construction industry and subsequently, fueling the demand for high strength concrete as construction material. Asia Pacific is followed by North America & Europe, in terms of share of the global market. Increasing immigrants and rising income of millennials in these regions is boosting the demand of new homes or repair of existing homes in North America and Europe.
- The market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is estimated to expand in the next few years, owing to recent economic developments and rise in investments in construction projects in these regions
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global liquid applied membranes for construction market include:
- SIKA AG
- BASF SE
- Pidilite Industries Ltd.
- Mapei S.p.A.
- Tremco Construction Products Group
- GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
- Carlisle Companies Incorporated
- SOPREMA group
- RENOLIT SE
- Copernit S.p.A.
- Henkel Polybit Industries LTD.
- Fosroc, Inc.
Global Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market: Research Scope
Global Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market, by Coating Type
Global Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market, by Substrate
- Bricks & Stones
Global Liquid Applied Membranes for Construction Market, by Application
- Bridge Decks
- Tank Lining
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.